Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithaca Model 37

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Tron 
#1 ·
Is anyone shooting the new, made in Ohio, Ithaca Model 37 Trap gun? Comments?

#2 ·
I bought one a year ago and really like it. I had to add a adjustable comb and length of pull pad adjuster to get it to fit me. I shoot it as well as my BT99. The action is the smoothest of any pump I have ever owned. If you like pump guns I think you can't get anything near the quality of the Ithaca.

#3 ·
I am thinking about getting one of the new small frame 28 gauge guns. I did get a chance to look over one of the new ohio made M37s and it was every bit as high quality as what came out of the Ithaca company in the 50's. (very good)

All that said I don't see this design as ever being really good for trap even though it is my favorite pump gun.

#6 ·
I bought one of the 28 gauge models a couple of years ago. Nice gun and made in Upper Sandusky, OH. The action on it is very smooth; a testament to close tolerance machining. A real joy to shoot.

Eightbore: The bottom ejection is a little strange at first but you get used to it. I load by leaving the action open an dropping a shell in then close the action. The only other way is to close the action, load a shell in the magazine, then pump the action. That's just too much work for me. It takes a little finesse and technique but again you get the hang of it fast. I first shot mine in a 100 bird 16 yard event. By the time I got to the last trap I could load it as fast as any O/U.

#7 ·
I single load my M37s and BPS guns by not ejecting the previously fired shell immediately after firing but rather thumbing a loaded round in the magazine tube then pull the pump back and let the loaded round set on the carrier until its time to shoot. No wasted steps and you don't need to turn the gun up or even look at it.

#11 ·
The new 37's are real nice, but for the life of me, I have no clue how the new company owner is making any money at it. When you take into consideration his overhead with the facility and how many employees he has, it just doesn't seem to add up. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.