1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca Mag 10 good or bad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pikepoola1racer, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pikepoola1racer

pikepoola1racer Member

I'm thinking about buying a Ithaca mag 10 and having screw in chocks put in. I have heard one guy badmouth it and another say it is a great gun, can I get advice from someone who has one.
    Thanks, Sam

2. rustygun

rustygun Member

I owned one in the late seventies or early eighties, when I lived in N.W. Iowa, it always functioned well, I only had problems with it once with some reloads that were not sized properly. Mine was a Supreme grade? Pretty wood. I don't know why you would want to put tube in one unless it has something to do with steel shot. I had a sxs 10 before, like going from a model t to a rolls royce. Those tens would really reach out. best of luck.

Steve

3. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Have one and really like it, had the barrel cut from 32 in, to 25 in and choke installed for turkey hunting.

Trap-4

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

They have issues.

Depending on whether you are going to shoot steel in it, Wolff Gunsprings makes a spring kit that will improve reliability.

The kit is $20 something, plus installation. If you are getting it cheap, go for it. It is not the best design.

The Browning Gold Ten is the best 10 ga to shoot. The Remington SP-10 may kick less, but has the handling qualities of a floor joist. One could shoot Sporting with a Gold Ten. They are lively while up to the task of handling the Big Ten.

10 ga Steel loads are reasonably easy on the shoulder with a good gas gun. They will outperform ANY OTHER GUN with Steel.

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Owned one in the late 70's used it goose hunting. It functioned perfectly, I only used new shells in it. I don't know how it would have digested reloads. I was very well pleased with it. J.Woolsey

6. lancelot

lancelot Member

When steel shot was mandated I lost alot of Canadas with my 3", mag 12.

My wife gave me a Ithaca Mag 10 for Christmas, and I shot it for 4 years before giving up goose hunting. It was a deluxe grade, 32" . It handled fine in a pit or blind. It would spin a Canada goose like a top. The gun never required any work and it displayed fine workmanship and appeared to be built of top-notch, stuff.

Ron Ireland

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What's the parts situation like for the Mag 10?

8. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

The Ithaca design was good enough for Remington to buy it. I know that they altered the design slightly so there is an issue with parts availability since Ithaca is gone (okay they may be back but not for older guns support).

I have an SP-10 that I bought for the same price as a slightly nicer Mag 10. Heavy, but smacks the geese.

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Because of the parts issue I'd go w/ the Rem or the Browning. I've owned all 3 and liked the Browning the best. Price for used ones don't seem to vary a lot between the 3 different makes so why go w/ the one that's out of production?

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Still have mine and the previous owner cut the barrel down and had screw chokes installed. Works great and just for fun I occasionally shoot a round of skeet or 5-stand with it. An IC choke and 2 1/8 oz of #8s can really make some smoke! I don't find the recoil bad at all but it is very heavy (and ugly). Mine has a matte type finish and no checkering.

11. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I had one too the 32" deluxe, and everything was fine... until we switched to steel shot. I sold mine within a year but my hunting partner sent his to some guy in Oklahoma had different springs installed etc and it was better BUT it had to be perfectly clean and warm outside, as soon as the temps started to drop the gun wouldnt cycle. But with the Federal 2 1/4 oz copper plated #2 lead loads it was a Goose( and anything else within 75 yards) killer like no other.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

buy a browning gold 10 - I have had them all--

Gene

13. pikepoola1racer

pikepoola1racer Member

Thganks, for all the advice, I think I will buy it, I can get it for $350.00, and it will cost about $180.00 to have chocks put in it, and its a deluxe.
    Thanks, Sam

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have no idea what chocks are- not sure I would do that for $180 but I would sure as heck buy it for $350

I would probably cut the recoil spring if it doesnt function with steel ( have a spare spring) and run it with teflon dry lube --

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had a supreme grade for years,( bought it new actually) shot steel through the full choke barrel many times. When I sold it the barrel looked as new. I sold it for $750 a couple years ago

16. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Seems they either worked well or not at all. My gun works well. I have 3 barrels for it: a 28" w/Brileys for geese, a 22" w/Brileys for turkeys, & a 28" w/.054 choke for calling coyotes. I have a set of standard wood that I had checkered (so as I could hang onto it) for sale-$100.

17. tulsey

tulsey Member

I have had one for years and as I got older the 32 inch barrel seemed to make me slower and slower. I finally had it shortened and tubed. Les Diamond in Ithica NY, is a former Ithica Gunsmith and an expert on the Mag 10. His cost for putting in choke tubes is very reasonable. I had mine shortened to about 26 inches and it is much easier to get in motion. Remember the Ithica has a long action so overall length is going to be about two inches more for the same barrel than an 1100. I have not bought one for my Mag 10, but Poly Choke was supposed to come out with their Poly Choke II for the Remington, Browning and Tru-choke threads. I have liked on on a Remington and might get one for my shortened Mag 10 that now uses Tru-chokes. les did a great job of fixing some functioning problems mine had developed.

18. M-16

M-16 TS Member

My brother sold me his mag 10 to buy a sp-10 I tore them apart to compare as the mag-10 were noted not to cycle if dirty. Remingtons mods were the rod on the rear of the bolt they put a scraper grove to clean out foulings and added a teflon ring to help it slide. I cut a grove in mine and fited a teflon ring on mine too pissed my brother off. on a damp wet day the gun before mite not cycle after a half a box of shells without cleaning. Goose and fox hunting in the rain craweling through the weeds dirt all over the action just spray it with wd-40 to repel the water so it didn't rust each day, and after 2weeks of abuse no failures through 3 boxs of shells. I can't remember what I did to fit the sp-10 barrels to it so I could have the short turkey barrel. I think alls I did was modify the the hole in the barrel that fit in to the receiver and reblued. The sp-10 steel barrel has a larger gas port to work the action, but since I was shooting hot steel hand loads that wasn't a issue to me. Love the gun heavy and ugly but it's a killer. Love asking my bother if he thinks I should clean the action this year or wait until next year since it hasn't failed yet. PS it has been cleaned just don't tell him, but it has rode on the combine and been all covered with chaf and work like a champ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ithaca mag 10

ithaca mag 10 barrel
ithaca mag 10 deluxe
ithaca mag 10 factory choke

ithaca mag 10 problems

ithaca mag 10 steel shot
ithaca mag 10 truchoke
shotgun barrels for ithaca mag ten