1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca Mag 10 Feed question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Jim Porter, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have a Mag 10 that I have shot and it functions perfectly. HOWEVER When I put three shells in it and try to un-load it, the two in the magazine will not come out. What am I not doing? I don't remember having this problem last year. Again, if I put three shells in, and fire it, it cycles as it should. If I push the release, the shell in the barrel will eject but will not release the shells in the magazine.
    Any Ideas?

2. SecondChance

SecondChance Active Member

Do they seem to have any problems feeding into the magazine? I used to have a mag 10 and REALLY wish I had it back now!!! I had the same issue and came to find out that the inside of the tube had developed a little rust near the edge and would hang up when manually extracting the shells. And it would also fire just fine, which I believe was due to recoil assist. I then took the gun apart and got a brand new brass cleaning brush and scrubbed the crap out of the magazine and problems were gone. Don't forget to run a bore mop with some Remmy dry lube or Remmy oil in it afterwards and you should be OK. That and maybe check your extraction bar. Take it out and make sure something has not gotten behind it and is keeping it out just a tad too much.

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. I WILL do as you suggest and return post. It can't be much as it just started this and it is a very nice gun--little use--no abuse.
    Thanks
    Jim

4. SecondChance

They are a great 'yote smacker with a healthy dose of buffered lead BB's or 4 Buck!!!!!

5. justanother99

justanother99 Member

I have essentially the same gun, a Remington SP10, and had the same problem. I took it all apart and found that dirt in the magazine tube was the culprit. Do what SecondChance said and clean the mag tube really good....

6. SecondChance

Just happened to think about it also. Pull out the action spring while you have it apart and give it a good going over as well. It could have picked up some dirt and debris as well over the years and just need a touch up while ur there.