1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca Mag-10 and 10 gauge reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I'm looking into getting an Ithaca Mag-10 shotgun as a turkey and possibly goose gun. I want to know people's opinions on the shotgun and if it's worth going with the 10 gauge as opposed to the 12 gauge 3 1/2". Also does anyone have any experience reloading 10 gauge 3 1/2" hulls? I'm a beginner at this and I'm trying to get as much information as I can get. I shoot trap regularly and enjoy reloading 12 gauge hulls so I have a some experience and I know the terminology.

Kyle

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

IMO- the 10ga cartridge is better than the 3-1/2" 12ga, but remember the Mag 10 is quite a bit heavier to swing. You can buy a lot shells for the price of the loader. How many 10ga shells do you anticipate shooting in a year?

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

In my opinion the 10 ga. is overkill. 12 ga. 2 3/4" Federal copper plated turkey loads work plenty fine out to 45 yds. Same with the goose and ducks. Good steel loads will do the same thing as the 10 Ga. Why pay $20 a box or more for shells.

4. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

I would stay away from the Mag 10. Go with a Remington SP-10. You can find a good one for $750-$900 if you are patient.

I will argue with anyone that claims a 12 can compare to a 10 .... NO WAY!!!

Reloading is another matter. You can produce handloads that put factory shells to shame, but it is not cheap. Tungsten or ITX is awesome!!!

I reload, but spend extra money to get what I want.

If you hunt geese or turkeys I would not hesitate to go to a 10 ga.

Mike

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Stay away from the Browning pump unless you have good dental insurance.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Parts for the Mag 10 are hard to find. Just spend just a little more then a Mag 10 and get the SP 10. Parts are av if needed. I have one and its a far better gun then the Mag 10. It will do everything but cook the bird.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I shoot over 200 ducks and 100 geese a year on average. a 12 ga 3 1/2 inch does not even compare to a 10 ga in the true 10ga area which is shooting long range.

The other factor is that even if a 12ga could produce the same pattern ( which it can't) the recoil from 12ga 3 1/2 inch guns is so sever compared to the recoil of a remington SP-10 it isn't even funny!

I shoot a handload of 1 1/2 of T's and TT's in my 10ga Remingtion SP-10's and those shells feel like trap loads! The 12ga 3 1/2 with a max turkey load feels like you have been in a small car wreck. the recoil of a max load in a 10ga say 2OZ loaf of shot is still managable in the 10ga auto. In my older fixedd choke over and under 10ga magnum the recoil is far from plesant. I load my steel load for around 10 dollars a box and that is downright cheap for the performance I get. The T;s will give ne a 55-60 yard duck wacker. I mean dead on there backs at 60 yards not running around crippled.

I would not reccomend shootinga BPS with lead shot. If you are really just going to shoot turkeys shoot me a PM as I have a line on factory 10ga ammo that is so cheap you will never have a need to realod. 16.90 a box of 25 for copper plated #4 Winchester Turkey load. Buy a case and you will have enough shells to shoot a whole pile of turkeys!

The mag-10 would be a fine choice for a turkey gun but don't paY much for the gun as parts are not as easy to get as they once were and there are a million of them for sale. Spend teh money and get the SP-10. It is just a newer upgraded version of the mag-10.Jeff

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Shop around, the Rem SP-10s are out there at good prices (used). I bought mine for $500...it came with 4 boxes of ammo. A friend bought his "as new in the box" for $600. My part-time helper JUST purchased one from the Gander Mtn in Brainerd, MN for $400!!....This was yesterday.

9. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

i have a mag 10 it is great in a goose pit took it one time turkey huntin too heavy, i have been turkey huntin since 1970, and have killed a lot of turkeys over the years, as i hunt both the spring and fall seasons, always used a 3 inch 1100 shot 2oz. 6's or 5's, worked real well,did buy a 870 super mag for snow goose huntin in 3.5 and looked at the 2 oz. loads available in 3.5 the fps were around 1300 fps the 3 inch loads were around 1100 fps, been using the 3.5 2 oz loads because they were faster, does it make any difference prolly not, just a matter of personal choice...hell u can kill a 30 yd turkey with a 3 dram 7.5 trap load shoot em in the head, if i was gonna have a gun for turks and geese go with the 3.5 just change the choke tubes for whichever u wanna kill that day.........

10. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Man didn't ask about anything but an Ithaca. While I agree that a Rem might be a better gun because of parts, I have shot an Ithaca that belonged to a brother-in-law and it was a SWEET gun. Unfortunately, his son carried it turkey hunting several years ago and it was stolen from his car when he went in to have lunch.
    If you get a really good deal on an Ithaca, (I have seen SP10 around $600 too) and you want an Ithaca, go for it!

Jim In Mississippi

11. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I have been hunting a Mag 10 pre production gun since the early 90's and find it to be sweet shooting deadly snow goose getter. I don't know about the parts situation because it has never broken.
    I tried reloading for it but only shooting a case or so of shells a year, I find it easier to buy what I need, besides the longer we shoot non toxic the better the ammo gets. Shoot Well and Shoot Often Wayne

12. Shane in WI

Shane in WI TS Member

I have a 10 ga BPS and reload for it. I shoot it for ducks, geese, and turkeys. Even loaded up some lead loads to shoot trap with it a few times just for fun. Watching the "fire" flare up a couple feet from the barrel is pretty fun and I don't mind the recoil. There are some load data available for the 10 ga that really makes it perform w/ steel loads. Much faster than I've seen in factory ammo. Been a few years since I've loaded for the 10, need to get back to it.

13. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

The new non-toxic ammo is so good that I don't miss my Mag 10 much except when I want to send a lot of pellets at a high flying bird. The game we hunt has learned our effective range and is quite supprised when you open up on them with an old 10 gage. AJ

14. 7remmag

7remmag Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone! I had heard that the SP-10 and the Mag-10 are close to the same gun but I didn't know they were the same gun. How do those two compare?

15. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

My two cents. Ive been shooting a mag ten Browning gold for quite some time now and also reload both steel and lead. My son sat beside me for a few years shooing a 12 ga 31/2", and I made him a believer of the mag 10. He now owns one also. If you remember many years ago the new 3" 20ga was the big thing. It shot 1-1/4oz of lead, the same as the standard 12 ga standard 1-1/4 oz. No comparison and its because of the bore diameter. The 12 ga standard will out perform the 3" 20ga mag every time. Same thing with the 12 ga versas the 10 ga. The volumes and the velocity are the same but once again its the bore diameter and the 10 ga will out perform the 12 ga every time. If you load steel load it as fast as you can according to the manuals. Stay away from the BPS 10 ga it will kill ya. Sometimes you can run accross a buy on the Browning gold 10 ga. Hope this help with you decision. alex Kotter

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They are not the same gun. The mag 10 had issues. Anybody who has been around a bunch of them that got shot a whole bunch can tell you. I have seen mag 10's that would not eject on an overhead bird and would only eject on crossing shots. That was just one of several thing Remington changed. The gun is fine for shooting turkeys but if you are going to hunt ducks and geese you can get an SP-10 for 600 or so if you keep your eyes open.Jeff

17. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Browning Gold 10 is the way to go.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have a Browning Gold 10 as well. They art no better then the SP-10, Neither gun should be purchased with a 30 inch barrel. The guns have 8 inches of reciever and the 26 inch barrels swing like a 30 incher and the 30 inchers swing like a sewer pipe. I wouldn't own the 28 inchers. I have owned all three and the 26 is the only choice as far as I am concerned.

As far as that goes... They can keep the new ligtweight Browning gold 10ga guns. the older heavier guns swing really nice and have next to no recoil with steel shot. Jeff

19. tulsey

tulsey Member

I have a Mag 10 and one of the best things I ever did with it was to send it to Les Diamond, a former Ithica gunsmith, in Ithica, New York. He fixed some operating problems and shortened the 34 inch full choke barrel to 27 and threaded it for screw in chokes. It does not hurt to shoot it and I hope Remington realizes they made a mistake to quit making the SP-10.

My friends who operate a pawn shop are quick to tell me the number of times they have taken in 3 1/2 inch 12 ga pump guns that have had two rounds out of a 25 round box fired in them. The cheap light weight do everything 12 ga that can shoot everyting from light 2 3/4 to heavy 3 1/2 are fine until you are behind the stock and cut loose with those heavy loads.

The flip side is I have been on some guided goose hunts where the guide, who is out everyday shooting, swears by the 3 1/2 Mossbergs and shoots nothing but the cheaper 3 1/2 steel. They are getting lots of practice which probably makes their choice better for them than someone who shoots less often and depends on better ammo and patterns to help make up the difference.

I think my 10 ga steel reloads are better than factory loads. They certainly are faster than what used to be available over the counter I am one of those who thinks speed is everything when shooting steel shot.

I get quite a look when I bring out by Mag-10 to the skeet or trap field with a load of lead shot 8s or 9s and the minimum load that will function to shoot a few rounds. Good luch on you decision.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have the Browning 10ga Gold. One of the first, with a beautiful wood stock. The gun works flawlessly. I have reloaded 10ga with a Mec Jr, but it was a hassle. I just buy the shells by the case now (T's).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
10 ga steel shot reload data remington
10 gauge hand loads
10 gauge load data
10 gauge reload
10 gauge reloading

10 gauge reloading data

10 gauge reloads
10 gauge trap and skeet shotgun ammunition