1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca flues guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by a budine, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a budine

a budine Member

Apparently I missed something - what is the "Flues" part mean for Ithaca shotguns. I've seen them listed and discussed, but I do not know what that term means or indicates. Thank you in advance - I know somebody on here will know.

2. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Flues was a model of the Ithaca gun line. It is pre NID. Both Flues and NID were available in sxs or single barrel trap models. The NID single trap gun was called a Nick. Heres a picture of my Flues. 1916 birthday.

3. shaggist

shaggist Member

These guns were designed by Emil Flues, who worked for Ithaca from 1903 to about 1917. Prior to that, he had been an independent gun maker in Bay City, Michigan.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Doesn'd NID stand for New Ithaca Double? If so, then how can there be an NID single barrel?

-Gary

5. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Right.. There are two types of Ithaca Single Barrel Trapguns(SBT) The Flues model and the Knick model. NID pertains to Ithaca double barrel shotguns.

Sportalluring

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

Flues designed an SBT and a double gun for Ithaca. The Flues SBT was superceded by a gun designed by Knickerbocker. It is referred to as the Knick. Some time after the introduction of the Knick, Ithaca came out with a newly designed double that incorporated a lot of Knickerbocker's design elements; it is known as the New Ithaca Double, or NID. Some wrongly refer to the Knick SBT as an NID single, which it ain't.

Ithaca was never afraid to start with a clean sheet of paper, so you have to pay close attention.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Interesting that all Ithaca American made singles were named for their designers, including the new one, yet to be introduced.

8. pdq

pdq Member

Ok, a bit of a history lesson.

The Flues model was sold from 1908 to 1926, and was named after the head gunmaker at Ithaca at the time, Emil Flues.

While the inventory of the Flues was sold off, the new model called the Knick was introduced in 1922, named after the new head gunsmith, Frank Knickerbocker.

These Knicks are vastly underappreciated in terms of their workmanship, and as such represent bargains compared to high end Parkers. Take a look at the pictures I posted a few years ago on this site of my 1929 Grade 7E Knick, and you have to be way up in the Parker ranking to even come close.

Great guns, and tremendous fun to shoot.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
flues model ithaca
how to restore a ithaca flues
ithaca flues double barrel shotgun grade marking location
ithaca flues double barrel shotguns
ithaca gun flues
ithica nick 7e trap
new ithaca design nid

new ithaca trap guns