1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca double guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wahoo, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Does anyone know where I can get schematics or exploded views of the old Ithaca doubles? I am looking for them in order to disassemble a couple that I have so that they can be refinished. No, they are nowhere near collector condition so nothing will be lost by bringing them back to where they were.

Thanks.

2. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Yoda, thanks a million for the website advice. It looks like the source for all of my questions. It already let me know that my Ithaca double is a Flues model made in 1922.

I really appreciate your post.

Wahoo

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

Presuming you are talking about the NID Ithacas, they are well designed guns and actually quite easy to take down if you have the proper tools. So, as with all projects, make certain you are properly tooled up. Let me offer a few tips.

Used cup-tipped punches (Brownells) for the pins. Less pin deformation, and if the pins are stubborn a flat-tipped punch tends to drift and nick the receiver.

Use fitted screwdrivers (Brownells). Most Ithaca screws were incredibly tight from the factory and it takes a lot of torque to back them out. I have always suspected that is why the screw slots are so wide.

I list this last, but it should be first. The first thing to do is drift out the pin holding the cocking cams at the front of the receiver. With the cocking cams out of the way, you will see a pair of screw-slotted nuts. You will need to fabricate some little gizmo to go over the threaded hammer spring rod and engage the little nut. If you can't remove and reinstall those nuts, your project is effectively ended. Everything else about the gun is pretty straight forward.

Success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.