1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ITHACA DEERSLAYER 3

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Terminator, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

Does anyone use or have any experience with the Ithaca Deerslayer 3 ?
    Looking for opinions good or bad, seems like a lot of money for a pump gun. But if they shoot as well as they claim, it would be worth it to me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I sighted one in for a guy last fall. He provided only 3" slugs as that was what he wanted to use.

Maybe a shot at a deer you wouldn't notice the recoil, but from a bench in cold blood at a target, it was about the most brutal recoiling gun I've ever fired.

It made around 3" groups @ 50 yards with foster style Federal slugs.
    I think with sabot style slugs it might have been better.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My feather weight is also brutal with hunting loads, My 870 or the Win. 1300 are more pleasant to shoot.

I guess you would not notice shooting a deer but like Rick says benchrest slugs are not for the weak.

5. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I don't have a deerslayer 3, but have had a deerslayer 2 for 15 years. It doesn't have the heavy fluted barrel like the deerslayer 3 and for that reason probably kicks worse. The recoil is brutal wiht 3 inch magnum slugs. It shoots well with sabots and I have killed numerous deer with it. The farthest was a doe in a field 175 yeards away. I did it just to see if I could. It was probably a stupid thing to do, but it was rainy and wet and getting too late in the AM to see a buck.

The sabots are very accurate- about 3 inch groups at 100 yards, but pass through and don't expand much. I have followed a lot of deer that weren't hit prefectly, but never lost one. The foster slugs are much more effective, but are a waste in this gun. The accuracy is not there unless you use sabots.

At the time I bought it it was probably the most accurate slug gun on the market. Now I would buy one of the bolt action slug guns that are available, but it still suits me fine and I have no intention of trading it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anybody shoot a deerslayer 3

ithaca deerslayer