1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca 4E

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bridger, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

I know of an Ithaca 4E, single barrel trap that is for sale.. The barrel bluing is in great shape but most of the frame finish is gone. The wood has nice figure but has been refinished and the checkering recut. Very well done though. Asking price is $1400. I think its a Flues model. The gun has been shot only a few times since the refinish work so no dings, dents or scratches anywhere on the wood. Is the price reasonable? I doubt I'd shoot it a lot but have been wanting an older single barrel trap and this one kind of appeals to me. How low would the pressure have to be kept to safely shoot 1 oz loads in this gun?

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have a couple of them and shoot the hell out them. They are built like a tank and I don't think you should have to worry about pressures. I shoot 3 dram load in mine.

3. jlb

jlb Member

The Flues model SBT are fine guns the only down side is that parts availability is more limited than the "newer" Knick models. There are three bolting models, all of which are equally successful. It would be interesting to see which of the bolting models the gun you are considering is.

4. KK

KK TS Member

That is a very decent price for a refinished Flues gun. I agree with Otnot, buy it and shoot it, they are nice guns and with good balance and feel with very good handling characteristics. If the basic gun was good enough for the great John Phillip Souza, they should be good enough for any of us. Good luck on getting it and if you turn it down for some reason, sic the seller on me. Thanks Kirby Kelley

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of pictures of a 4e Knicks gun.I paid 1600 for.
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00032.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00033.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00034.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    Somebody had Briley thin walls installed so it's not much of a collector but it sure is a good shooter. Cranked out a 95 with it last weekend. Shootem and enjoy them that what they were made for. jmho, Bill

6. BILL GRILL

Jim, I had not noticed it before. I got the magnifying glass out and I believe it is. Serial no. is 404569. Bill

7. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Beautiful and brings a tear to my eye; my great uncle knew Sousa well and worked with Sousa in the music biz. I'd love to have one of these if only for the sentiment and connection.

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

I can't seem to pull up the photos. All I get is that the photos or album no longer exists. I'm very tempted by this gun although the comb is too high for me. If it fit me a little better I would have already bought it. Since its already been refinished I suppose I could have the comb shaved down a bit but I hate to do that. The owner will let me shoot it before I buy and if I can make it work I'll probably buy it. I did shoot it last summer for a few shells and thought it had the strangest recoil of any fixed breech gun I had ever shot. Light recoil, almost like a push. Not a lot of these around and the price seems like it would be okay but maybe he'll take a little less.

9. BILL GRILL

Bridger, I cleaned out my photo bucket album did not know it would delete pictures on thread.I will put them back up later. Jim Some how that 100 straight seems to be pretty elusive but i have not given up. Bill

10. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Here are some pics of my very early 4E, the top gun is a late 1918 flues and the bottom is the 1916 flues(I think I have the dates right). The engraving on the early guns is very nice.

11. reb87

reb87 TS Member

The early flues dosent have the cross bolt thru the reciever side, it is internal.

12. reb87

reb87 TS Member

top view

13. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Early

14. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Early