1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Ithaca 4E

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hawk46, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

I've never owned one but I like the way they look. A number of them are listed for sale on GB right now. Wondering what kind of reputation they have on the trap line and if anyone has any experience or advice relating to the 4E?
  2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

I'm high bidder on this one but it will certainly go much much higher. Looks like the Knick may be the more desirable version?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=210213863
  3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Why stay away from a Flues model? Lots of people say that, but why?
  4. pdq

pdq TS Member

Why stay away from Flues models? 2 reasons come to mind. First, when Ithaca went from the Flues to the Knick model, it was a significant redesign internally, many improvements made. If you want details, I'd suggest checking out Walter Snyders excellent book. Second, and this applies especially to the grade 4 guns, the Knicks are considered more desireable than Flues by collectors.

The gun being sold is represented in being in pristine condition. If so, after having it checked out by a gunsmith familiar with Knicks, I'd encourage you to shoot it. They are all choked very tight, so they really crush the targets. Crushing targets with an 80+ year old gun is especially fun.

If you are looking for a Knick with even greater collector value, I'd suggest looking for a grade 5E, or if budget allows, the more rare 7E. Again, condition and originality of the gun have a strong determination on value.

Pete
  5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Active Member

Nothing wrong with a Flues, just harder to get worked on if needed and more expensive to repair. They shoot just like the Knicks. Shot my first 100 straight with a Knick's 4e. Hawk, you should be able to buy a nice 4e for around 2000.00 or less. I bought a VERY nice 4e for 1700. a couple years ago. Watch out if you get interested it is a disease. There are guns out there with 34" barrels just hard to find. Also Parker, Fox, L.C. Smith, and Baker also make a very similar shooting single barrel trap gun. Bill
  6. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Thanks Pete/Bill. I had read where improvements were made after the Flues model but don't know the particulars. I was just outbid of course on the gun in the link I included above. My Blue Book is 15 years old so not much use in checking it, but any idea on the worth of this gun? It seems to be pristine and a fist year Knick. I'm thinking anything under $2000 might be good? Dave
  7. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

ttt - anyone have a recent Blue Book? Ithica 4E Knick model, 32"bbl. 95% condition.
  8. twotimer

twotimer Member

Hawk, 31st blue book edition list a 4E 95% $2450.00 Under 2g's would be good based on that number. Remember, the book doesn't buy guns, it is just a book. Mike
  9. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Thanks twotimer. I went to their web site where they have it listed for almost seven grand! Think I'll let them keep it!
  10. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Active Member

$975 one year age.
    You do not need to pay more than $1,500 for a nice 4E:

Ithaca 4E Knick manufactured in the United States February 1927:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Bushmaster, that looks like a nice gun for that money! I think I'm going to wait for awhile anyway, maybe after I get back to Ohio. Should have more cash by then and that way I won't have to trade something I'd prefer to keep.
  12. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Active Member

I was patient and the market was slow this time last year
  13. pdq

pdq TS Member

$7 grand for a 4E?

Throw in a mint 5E and he'd be close.

Pete
  14. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

I don't think you can say they are all tightly choked. The barrels on my 4E are choked .036 and .024. It is my understanding they were pretty much made to order and you could pick your choke.
  15. bighoss40

bighoss40 TS Member

Here is a 5E on gunrunner online auction
    It will be interesting to see what it goes for—looks pretty original

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=978723336
  16. jlb

jlb Member

The gun on gunrunnerauction.com is a Flues model #306701T that does not have gold birds. If one looks at the left side of the receiver you will note the spot where the "Greener" bolt extends from the receiver upon opening. Knick guns > 400,000 have a "Boss" type lockup similar to a MX8.
  17. grunt

grunt Active Member

18. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Active Member

There are a bunch of then on gunbroker right now. Bill
  19. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Bill, I noticed that this morning. I also noticed that the better guns are $2k and up!
  20. eightbore

eightbore Active Member

The fellow selling the gun in question only drew $900 some in bids because his picture (yes, one picture) was taken from across the room. He has good pictures of some of his other guns, not so good with others. What's with this guy?