1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca 4E SBT value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bridger, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

there is a 4E for sale locally that interests me. It is late production 1970's era gun. Great wood on it, locks up tight and the opening lever is far to the right. Stock has not been cut nor has the choke been molested. It probably is a refinished gun including the frame which appears to have a nickel finish. All the engraving is sharp. I have looked around at internet prices which are all over the place. Asking price on this one will be in the $2500 area. Is that reasonable? I am not a collector,just would like one to shoot on occasion and this one seems to fit me well.I have not shot it yet but will have the chance to do so before I decide on it.

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

A clean--90% 4-E would be worth $22-2500. The receivers were originally case hardened and if it's silver--it's been worn off or polished off. 70's guns are usually in pretty nice shape. What is the serial number? That will help date the gun. Does it have the original Ithaca pad? These are fine shooters and I've owned many in all grades over the years. Pocs would go a long way to evaluating the gun. Good luck!

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

Since it has been refinished I would think it would be worth $1500-$1,800.

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

The serial number was a nine digit number but I do not know the exact number. The wood does not have a mark on it and I might have thought it was the original finish except for the color of the frame which is either polished or nickeled, I just don't know for sure and neither does the seller. It has a replacement Kickeez pad on it. I have not seen a 4E in the $1500- $1800 range other than well used guns. This one has the best wood of any 4E I have seen. I don't have pictures to post. It seems like a very nice gun and I suppose if the original case hardening was still there the price would be higher.

5. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

A 1970's vintage gun would be in the 405xxx range of numbers. They were 6 digit numbers. Some may have a 2 digit year code also. If the gun fits you $2000 would be fair to both parties. Make an offer!

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

As best I can recall the serial number started 2404xxxxx. I was told by someone that all 9 digit numbers meant it was a post '68 gun. I need to shoot it first and then we'll talk money if I like it.

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

The post-68 guns utilize a 9-digit serial number that begins with "240405." Ithaca never incorporated a date code in their serial numbers, but the numbers are sequential and can be checked against date-of-manufacture records.

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If there is no case colors left he wants to much. If it has a 34" barrel it may be worth 2k but otherwise Otnot is right on the money. I bought a nice 4e
    2 years ago for $1695.00 with 90 per cent case colors. Bill

9. Bridger

Bridger Member

I've done a lot of looking and I have never seen a 90% gun for that kind of money. If you got one, that's great but that doesn't establish market value. I suppose if you look long enough there may be another deal like that out there but the only nice gun I have seen in that price range is a Flues model with no colors left and a stock that doesn't fit me. This one may be too much money and I may pass on it but from what I have seen there are very few nice 4E's for sale for less than 2K.

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The price on the 4-E has really went up in the last five years . I have bought three or four over the years and never paid over $1,500 . The gun your looking at is a shooter and that is all it is . It is the same as a BT-99 or 870 just no parts available and very costly to work on . otnot is close on price as it is nothing special and not original .

11. BILL GRILL

Bridger, Here are some pictures of the one I bought for $1695.00. While I am not trying to set market value I am saying don't be in such a hurry. There are a lot of Knicks guns out there and ther is always one for sale. I may know where you can get a two barrel 4e for that kind of money.
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00513.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00514.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00515.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

12. BILL GRILL

Picture of sales receipt
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view┬Ąt=DSC00510.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

13. G-12

G-12 TS Member

Bill, do you know the year your 4E was manufactured? Thanks, Ben

14. otnot

otnot Active Member

Damnit Bill where do you find all these nice old SBT's? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.