1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ITHACA 4E RESTORATION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JTPTM1, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTPTM1

JTPTM1 TS Member

gentlemen, i have a 4e nid 2bbl set. tight as a bank (before obama), engraving perfect as per bill mains,miller trigger, one screw slightly buggered. some case colors. bbl blue good+, mirror bores. i want it back to as new. will make a nice hunting gun. previous owner installed an adjustable comb and pad to very beautiful wood. tragic! 1. looking for someone qualified to restore the gun to original 2. looking for some new wood. any suggestions/reccomendations. thanks for the help. joe pires 727-643-7075

2. wm rike

wm rike Member

There are a lot of good smiths out there, but Gunter Pfrommer (540-484-5555) should be near the top of your list - he specializes in Ithacas.

3. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Leave it the way it is. I will all ways be worth more that way. But if you must Trunbull.

4. JTPTM1

JTPTM1 TS Member

sx1skeet, not going to sell the gun, senimental reasons so i don't care how much its worth. as stated above that adjustable comb and pad hurt it enough already. its a sxs not a trap gun. just want it to look good again. just cosmetic stuff. insides are perfect. thanks for your suggestion but i hear there are still some x-ithaca guys out there who do great work.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

How much are you willing to spend?

Trunbull will do it as good or better than anyone- do you want to spend several thousand on the project? Ask for his price- my guess is around 3-5K for what you want-

Now if you want it brought back to unbuggered condition- I have a guy here locally that does a lot of Winchester and older Remingtons

He would only charge a small fraction of what Doug will charge would be my guess

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. JTPTM1

JTPTM1 TS Member

thanks gene, no i don't want to spend 3k. just want new case colors and barrels blued. will live with this wood until i find another piece. have an unfinished stock now but the groove for the tang is too long. don't want to fill it. insides of the gun are fine. had it checked. joe

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am sending you a pm

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Is your gun a pistol grip or a straight grip? I recommend Gunter F. for any Ithaca NID restoration. Don't forget to reply to my first question.

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

OK, I'll change my post. How about "I've got a nice Ithaca NID high grade buttstock, complete, no chips, original finish and Hawkins pad. It is straight grip." It is either a 4 or a 5. Can you use it? I will send it to you for $700.00. It is a beauty and I would buy a gun just to use the stock.

10. jlb

jlb Member

We have had four guns restored by James Guild and his work was excellent and reasonable. The case colors are perfect as is the blue. I doubt any but an expert could tell from factory.

(973) 875-9266

55 Gunn Rd
    Branchville NJ 07826-4135
    USA

jlb

11. JTPTM1

JTPTM1 TS Member

eightbore, sent you a pm. thanks to all for the advice. joe

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Mason Gunsmith Excelisor Springs,MO.

Thread Status: