1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ITHACA 4E Knick SBT ..original Stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Talavera, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talavera

Talavera TS Member

I am the proud owner of an ithaca 4E Kinick Single barrel trap that I puchased in Minty but used condition. I like to call it brand used!

I wonder if the configuration of a straight stock and and what loks to be 5E
    wood on a 4E gun is original. Wonder if anyone has seen this setup on a 4e knick, knows a way to reference original config.

Thanks in Advance,
    Robert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

I am also the new owner of a minty 4E with great wood and 2 barrels. The checkering pattern of the forearm is the same as mine but the butt stock is more elaborate. I notice yours does not have the sun burst recoul pad but it may be a more recent model than mine (1962). Can you give a serial #?
    Bill Grill on this site knows a lot about these guns and may chime in.

3. Cooter

Cooter Member

Sorry I can't answer your question but geez what a beutiful trap gun.I wonder what it would cost a company to build this gun today?It can't be anymore than a Sietz or k-gun orP-gun.

4. Talavera

Talavera TS Member

I think you right COOTER they built these guns like tanks. It is about as heavy as one also, but I like heavy, very little recoil.
    BEAST- I would love to see pictures of your two barrel set. Have only seen one ever before. I don't know about yours but my 4e smashes birds into oblivion as well as my blaser or any other of my pricier trap guns. It is my favorite new singles gun!!
    My 4e serial # puts in built in 63 so very close to yours. I have been told that this is the original recoil pad, and I have seen others with a similar one. I have also seen the sunburst ( wich I love ) and a solid pad with the sunburst color. My gun seems to be original, but I cant say for sure. I would love to know.

Robert

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

More then likely it is original . The ITHACA 4-5E,s were built one at a time by one gunsmith start to finish wood and all . No two are just the same so wood will not interchange without some fitting .

6. jlb

jlb Member

I think that the stock is an original 5E stock. I have a 4E with 7E wood which is factory.

jlb

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Walt Snyder may be able to give you information on the original configuration of your gun. I believe he participates in the doublegunshop.com forum.

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Serial no. should be burned in wood if stock is removed. My guess is it is original. No reason for it not to be from looks of it. Pad is not original. Bill

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

That is some rare gun if it is factory documented. What is the serial number? It would have to pretty late in the 405,000 series to have a Pachmayr pad from the factory, in my opinion.

10. wm rike

wm rike Member

If I had to guess, I would say that the serial number will be somewhere around XXX5186, would make it an early fifties gun with McGraw engraving. As with most guns, there are always exceptions. By the early fifties the straight grips were out of vogue. Grade 4 guns were not supposed to have checkered jaws. On the other hand, the wood is typical Ithaca in being (very) good black walnut. If it is in fact restocked, the wood and style has been very faithfully re-created. Best bet is to look under the trigger guard.

11. wm rike

wm rike Member

Sorry, I meant late fifties. Still McGraw or one of his assigns.

12. pdq

pdq Member

Robert:

I bought a Knick 5E and have been having a blast researching its history since leaving the factory in 1930.

Note that another complication is that Knicks were pretty much custom order guns. The wood on yours appears in the pics to be of higher grade than most 4Es I've seen, but perhaps it was ordered with upgraded wood. Being a straight stock clearly would have been special order I believe. Walter Snyder would be your best bet of additional information. If he has the invoice from when it left the factory, it might list the charges for "extras". My gun had initials inlayed in gold in the trigger guard and the invoice indicated an additional $5 for them.

Good luck in your search for info -- these are not only works of art, but are very good shooting trap guns --- take it out & have fun with it.

Pete

13. 333t

333t Member

The wood should show the serial number impressed into the wood. It should be under the forend metal and under the trigger guard tang on the stock. Easy to check.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1976 ithaca knick trap gun
ithaca 4e buttstock

ithaca 4e single barrel trap guns

ithaca knickerbocker trap gun

ithaca knicks
ithaca shotguns knick
ithica 4e trap gun stock
original ithica 4e 5e image