1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Item of note for some Spolar users.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 8 Straight, May 24, 2013.

1. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

I loaded 3 flats of shells on my Spolar today, and got to thinking maybe some Spolar owners have not yet heard about the upgrade to the primer seating stem. The original kind, with the allen head bolt holding the cup in place, caused many tipped primers. I could get as many as 3 or 4 tips per dozen shells. I have the new setup, and did not have a single tipped primer in 3 flats of shells. If you are still laboring under the disadvantage of the old one, call Spolar immediately and upgrade.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Let me chime in...and I am a huge Spolar fan.....run, don't walk to the phone and order up the new primer post. I think they are like 20 bucks, but I ordered a couple of spare parts kits that have the new post and few other goodies.

I used to have 3-4 tipped primers in maybe a 100, but the new primer station is just awesome, and never tips a primer.

I still have a 9000E and Sizemaster, and enjoy both of them. But my Spolar's are really precision pieces of equipment.

3. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

I need to order the new part .

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

3-4 flipped primers per 100?

Are you calling that a good average? Hmmm

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for the input-- I need to order

Gene

6. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I must be a really lucky person,if I have 1 tipped primer per 5,000 thats all...KS-OKIE

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

grntitan,

I edited my original post...it was not clear.

The real point is, I installed the new primer setup (it comes with post, cup, spring, shaft for a complete replace), and so far in a few months use, I have not had a single tipped primer.

Every time I sit down to a reload session, I think about the new setup, and I still watch every primer drop. It never misses, but old habits die hard.

Shoot well and often.

8. Wass

Wass Member

I just got around to ordering this upgrade. Since the upgrade, I've yet to have a single tipped primer.

I now have nothing to "watch out for", other than running out of primers, shot or powder.

Wass

9. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We all learned to watch to make sure the primer dropped and dropped correctly regardless of which progressive machine we used.

When I bought my Spolar, in the fall of 2008, I noticed a few "tipped"primers. Maybe three or four in several hundred reloads. They took a second or two to fix-no big deal.

But after hearing all the reports of the new upgrade, I called and purchased it.

It was just a few minutes work to put it in and I have had no tipped primers, certainly no failures to "drop" a primer since then.

I don't know what to watch now!

Seriously, if you have a Spolar, get the upgrade.

Bob

10. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

I called them multiple times over the past week to order the kit, but it goes to their message machine . They must have all gone to the Grand ....

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Yes, they are at the Grand.

Bob

12. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I still have the original primer feed. After tightening the bolt that connects the hydraulic to the loader and putting blue locktite on the bolt, I get almost no tipped primers.

Charlie.

I am getting new fprimer feed also.

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The new primer feed is FANTASTIC! I have also loaded several flats without a SINGLE tipped primer. It is a must-have upgrade if your Spolar came with the older design.