1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

It seems the handicap system works

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I checked the GAH scores. Every yardage group was won with a 98. That seems right.

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

It all depends how you look at it. I quickly went through all the handicap events shot at the Grand this year. I could have made a mistake, and if I did I am sure someone will post it.

RJ Stuart had nine handicap events listed in this years Grand.

6 were won by 27 yard shooters

1 was won by 26.5 yard shooter

1 was won by 25 yard shooter

1 was won by 21.5 yard shooter

If you look at all the scores that tied for 1st place in every handicap event, the long yardage shooters dominated even more.

It looks like to me long yardage dominated the Grand

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

markdenis- It also appeared that the majority of shooters were long yardage shooters.

Pat Ireland

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

And that should tell you that in order to win the GAH you will have to earn your way to the 27 and anyone that does not has less chance of winning the GAH. And BTW... shoot at a quarter million HCP targets in order to be prepared when you day comes. What a great shooter Bob is. Talk about "earning your stripes". Wow! And don't forget...

"payin your dues"

Munson is about 650,000 total targets. How many have you shot lately? Ever?

I'm at about 60 thou. Count me out. Won't live long enough to get there.

5. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Pat

Where do I find the number of participants in each yardage group?

Mark

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mark- Soon Stuart will have these numbers. For now, all that is available is a scan of the sheets and looking at the shooting line. For past Grands, it is available from the ATA office.

Pat Ireland

7. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Thanks Pat. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are when compared to the high scores in each event.

Mark

8. John55

John55 Active Member

The handicap system might be working, but having as many 200s as there were in the CTC tells me something else isn't. Especially considering how many rounds were used to determine the eventual champion. It's become nothing more than an endurance event...and a costly one at that. If the ATA wants to throw 2 hole targets in the event, why not use 3 hole targets for the shootoffs? Better yet, use 3 hole targets all the way through.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Fred It would make one wonder how many of those that are worried about the endurance aspect of the events actually had a 200. If they didn't how does it effect them to begin with?

Bob Lawless

10. Hauser

Hauser Member

The handicap system is broken.

The targets are too soft and the mandatory punch provision of earned yardage table is outdated.

96s, 97s, and for the most part 98s are not scores worthy of yardage given the current target presentation. These scores for the most part didn't win anything, they just got a punch.

Jerry Hauser

11. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

I'd say the proliferation of 200s effects everybody. Why not just skip the event and go right to the boring shootoff. Singles has gotten to be just like skeet, except that in skeet they wised up to the long, boring shootoffs and went to doubles shootoffs.

12. ivanhoe

Let me see 1621 entries in CTC 32 shooters shoot 200 roughly 2% of the total shooters. Very heavy proliferation. That means that 1589 shooters didn't shoot 200, shocking just shocking.

BTW what CTC has to do with the handicap system I will never know.

Bob Lawless

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Literalist, does anyone with some degree of intelligence actually believe it does? According to some math experts at least 50% of the competitors shot from the 27 yd. line based on the winners scores. Can we say that some of our elite shooters treat the fence targets like slightly more difficult Singles!!

14. ivanhoe

"Can we say that some of our elite shooters treat the fence targets like slightly more difficult Singles!!"

I guess we can. So tell us all how to fix it oh most intelligent one, unhandicap those that don't shoot at the fence by not giving them yardage for 96,97,99 and so on?

Maybe we should make the elite shooter shoot 7/8oz loads while everyone else shoots 1 1/8oz loads that seem fair.

Maybe you have found a way to use three hole targets to penalize the elite and not the rest of the field. Even though I doubt it.

Well I am sure you people with the high degree of intelligence will come up with workable plan. Even though those that haven't a degree of intelligence don't believe you will ever figure it out until you are ready to move the fence.

Bob Lawless

15. oleolliedawg

Cut and paste Bob, the answer is simple-move the fence. Unfortunately, my intelligence wasn't needed when a brand new multi-million dollar trapshooting facility was designed and built without it.

To those clubs that still honestly believe trapshooting's elite will no longer participate at their shoots because of inadaquate concrete I say there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd be glad to sell you-cheap!!

16. ivanhoe

Dawg no argument from me on moving the fence. At first I couldn't see this as a viable option. Then I watched all the other proposals on this site and it is the only one that make any sense now.

As far as the multi-million dollar trapshooting facility is concerned there sure is plenty of room behind and between those fields to make it happen if it is mandated.

EE

"Anyone who thinks that handicap is unfairly dominated by 27-yard shooters is free to shoot themselves back there and join them."

If you believe that read hauser's post above and tell me how you would get there if what he says is the way it should be.

The old saying applies be careful what you wish for you just might get it.

Bob Lawless

17. oleolliedawg

EE, I've been at the fence longer than most people have been shooting!!

18. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Dawg - "Down damn it!"....

19. oleolliedawg

Jon, will I see you in Ohio this week? We can continue this argument(discussion) then!!

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Naw. Westy Hogans will be next.

PS - Can I get a part-time gig babysitting Thomas to help offset the ever-increasing cost of shooting? I work cheap and he likes Copper...

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.