1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

It Pays to Be

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'm writing checks now to pay some bills, taking a break writing anything controversial right now and, hopefully, for a long time, maybe even a day!

I was labeled "cheap" at another thread recently. I won't agree or disagree, but my opinion is that I am at least "thrifty"...

Thought I'd share this: A local plumbing company, close to me, is prompt and does efficient work. But, (and I've not dealt with them for a decade plus, maybe 4 years,) is pretty amusingly sly. They trust me and send a bill. Each time I have received a bill, I see some "jive" charge or a charge for something not done! I call and question them about that; the typically immediately admit to an accounting error and make the correction, no problem.

So it pays to check all invoices. I suspect that the company might be just checking out the waters for those that don't review or question invoices. Maybe there is a name for this. My relations, on the surface, with that company, are cordial and positive. One of the employees, who trusts me (since we are from the same 'hood etc.) tells me about some of the silly gouging that goes on there after I took a closer look at an invoice.

I will continue to use them, the employees are great. It is management that is into creative billing.

So folks, this is the accused "Chango2" who has been called "Cheapo" sharing what I hope will be a heads up, or, at the least, mildly helpful.

Regards.

David

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Why do you feel the need to explain yourself?

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

To try and help. I hate seeing people ripped off, absoluely can't stand it. And I saved 60 bucks in 20 seconds this am. And I type very quickly. Sorry. And I am trying to get off of crank. Had to trade my guns in for new teeth. My skin itches. My dog died, and my wife left me for the cable guy. I can now take that saved 60 bucks and try and find some crank to buy, or maybe some 'ludes or oxy. There, does that make you feel better?

4. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

I know a plumber who shoots trap.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Joe, I get it...I know a gunmaker who kisses butt, I think, insincerely.

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Your wife left too?

I had a farmer in this morning and he had told us that his wife went to town for milk 2 weeks ago and never returned.

We asked how he was coping.

"Oh, I've just been using up the powdered milk we had in the cupboard so far."

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The one that chaps my a$$ is when you take a vehicle in to the shop, they charge about $100 per hour or more, then when you get the bill there's a charge for shop fees

What the hell are shop fees, they are already in the labor charges

Wish I was still young and limber enough to work on them

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Exactly, the plumbing company had a fee for the use of a tool they needed to do the job in the first place. $40.00 for using the power snake...hey, the buck(s) we save here, are the bucks we can spend at the range. They waived that fee, although I did suggest that I would understand if there was a toolhead to be sharpened now and then. They were honest and indicated there was not.

Rick, thanks, good one!

9. wolfram

Okay I get it, you are trying to justify your rude behavior to youself with the thought that you are out there protecting the rest of us from spending more for goods and services than we really need to. Kind of the ol' duality of man thing....

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I think we understand WHY the wife left.....

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

To wolfram and to bigdogtx: Are you not doing the same thing you acuse me of doing, protecting others from rudeness vs. spending more for goods? Is it not also rude to post somebody's home telephone number without permission and then post a PRIVATE e mail that was sent? (No, you didn't do that, and I won't even reiterate who did it in reference to my concerns...)

I am amazed that so few who frequent these boards, or at least many who post, appear to have difficulties thinking in a syllogistic fashion.

Actually, I have respect for that; your ragging on me for rudeness. same thing, different venu where there is an argument. I am also impressed that you can clinically evaluate another individual from afar and based upon some i net postings. Seems like Psych. 101 at the Community College did wonders for you.

Now reference to this duality of man issue: Very good, very literate. I am sorry that you felt a need to flame me at another thread. Have you considered that sometimes actions are simply based on A-B? That is, be concerned with one thing, realize you have not done enough about that issue? Hell, I saved $60.00 bucks today in a minute, did YOU?

Hey, I like both of you too; this Bud's for you. And, come to think of it, I owe you a Bud or two 'cause you stand for and stand up for something that is correct, being polite, but we likely disagree about other particular issues.

12. wolfram

None of the above - just having a bit of fun :)

Lighten up pal.

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I think they were just pulling your frugal chain.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I know, I just like verbal jousting to prevent dementia! It's gettin me fast.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Maybe you should post one cost saving suggestion per week, just to help fellow TS.commers.

David might even give you a header. We could call it Chango's Cheapos.

16. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

Oh, I get it; "plumbers butt." Good one! It really cracked me up.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Seriously, posting my cheapos and those I collect strikes me as helpful. And I am finally being neither sarcastic or angry here. I'll ask some of my friends about that too. I do care about stuff, actually, and, for example, I really hate to see hard working people not get the bang for their buck. It really tears me up to see in my city environment, a single parented kid with only a mother at the range...with a rented oversize gun, expensive shells, and a big investment for them. Anything to save a buck goes a long way, IMO, in this difficult world and economy.

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I wasn't kidding Chango. Bet it would be popular.

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Cheap = I will not pay $5000.00 for that trapgun. I can find or wait for the same gun for $1000.00. That is cheap.

Smart with your money = Someone who checks his bills and paper work for over charges. A friends kid was in the hospital and he got the bills here and there. He paid them as they came in. He then noticed a bill that he had already paid. It was a $3000.00 bill that they wanted him to pay again for the samething. If he had paid it they wouldn't have pointed it out to him and refunded the money. They would have kept it.

Watch those scanners at the stores. The item your buying is say on sale for $10.00 but at the reg it rings up $14.00. If you buy enough things they hope you don't notice. That happens more then you think. Another friends wife before leaving the store goes over her grocery receipt. She found on the av about $6.00. The most she found was around $18.00. It pays to check your paper work.

20. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

There is a name for placing items not used or purchased on an invoice, it's called "padding" the bill.

There is also a name for those extras that typically appear on a Dealer's invoice, it's called up-charges or consumables fees.

Both are less-than-honorable practices.

IMO,
    Kip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.