1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

It Is Time To Ask The Question!

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by WS-1, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WS-1

WS-1 Well-Known Member

Many of us have sons or daughters, nieces or nephews, uncles, aunts or even parents who serve in one of the branches of the United States Military.

If they were given an order to fire on an American citizen, would they do it or would they turn their weapons on the commander giving the order? If they had to choose between duty and family, which one would they pick?

We have the right to know...don't we?
  2. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

Does Kent State ring a bell?
  3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

What is the motivation behind your stupid question?

Guy Babin
  4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Personally I think it's an interesting question. Within the answer lies the reason why the Soviet Union fell while Communist China did not.
  5. Garry

Garry Member

The wordings of the current oath of enlistment and oath for commissioned officers are as follows:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All military personnel are required to obey LAWFUL orders. A general order or regulation is lawful unless it is contrary to the Constitution, the laws of the United States, or lawful superior orders or for some other reason is beyond the authority of the official issuing it.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

I would expect them to fire on US citizens if they were ordered to. At some point I would also expect a significant number of soldiers to start questioning their orders and eventually even go AWOL and fall in with the citizenry.

Horrible thing to ponder but a good possibility given the likelyhood of a financial collapse.
  7. larryjk

larryjk Member

yakimaman, I remember that Kent State was the end of "students" thinking the national guard or other uniformed services had to take the "shit" they were being subjected to. I seem to remember that after the Kent State shooting most of those events disappeared.
  8. postmastertim

postmastertim Member

Kent state was before my time, but I can tell you this question would occasionally come up while I served as an MP from '87-'96. The answer was always the same from everyone I worked with, no we would not fire on unarmed civilians. Riot control was a different story, common sense tells you not to throw rocks at the guy with the riot baton in his hand.
  9. spritc

spritc Active Member

It is my belief that our soldiers would not fight on the side of a treasonous president, not in this country. I hope we never have to find out, so vote against Obama in November to save our country.
  10. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

The Nuremberg trials judged that every soldier is responsible to himself, his moral code, and society's moral code as to what orders he carries out. He cannot be ordered, or forced, even under threat of death to carry out orders from a Superior which would over ride the codes noted above. Essentially, what the court said is that, you will be judged guilty if you carry out orders that result in death(s)that a reasonable man would determine to be morally wrong. These rulings over ride all national laws concerning war.
  11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

WS-1,,,,,why don't you ask YOUR relatives in the military???? How would ANYONE here have an inkling of an idea as to whether they would or not,,,,,I think some paranoia is good, but this seems way too out there......

I nominate this post for the winner of 2012
  12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

LOL, Kit - how do you expect Obama to get us all into Jessie Ventura's concentration camps if the military isn't willing to shoot us?

-Gary
  13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kent State was viewed as a case of the cannon fodder objecting to Viet Nam.

It was the catalyst for the US to cease operations there.

I believe the administration would have continued in Viet Nam if that had not happened. It was, after all, the perfect war, even better than Korea. Billions in profits were made.

Public outrage over Kent State added to anti war sentiment and eventually led to Congress defunding the war effort 4 years later, and after prisoner exchanges and other foofaraw we left.

HM
  14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

musketman calling someone a nut- what an oxymoron, with or without the oxy.
  15. WS-1

WS-1 Well-Known Member

Kolardude,

From the reactions to my first post on this thread, it appears that the Obama apologists went double jointed jumping through their rectums trying to identify themselves. Why do you think they would want to do that?
  16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Well-Known Member

Musketman, it would be very easy for him to disappear. All you have to do is quit logging on here. You'll never see or hear of him again. Mike.
  17. WS-1

WS-1 Well-Known Member

Musketman,

If you quit logging on here, as Mike suggested, you wouldn't have anything to endure but the callouses on your pinky and you can probably "handle" that.
  18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Well-Known Member

Musketman, your comment'Tis true but then I would have to endure your dumb daily comments. you are also part of the smell.'

If you quit logging onto this site you would not have to endure any of this. You would not be a part of it. Are you so stupid that you could not figure that one out? Mike.
  19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What the hell is wrong with you guys? There is a subject to this thread which, after the first couple of posts disappears and is replaced with persona attacks and name calling. Can't we stick to any subject?

Also, I wonder how brave these name callers would be if they had the chance to say these things face to face. Instead they hide behind the anonymity of the Internet and their "nom de plume".

Please, a little more tolerance AND, If you can't stick to the subject or can't be civil, don't say anything!
  20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Bird dog, let me point out that you also didn't stick to the subject of the thread so you have no room to rant. In any case, threads are like conversations, they tend to go off in many directions. If that's a problem for you, perhaps you should start another thread regarding any subject of your choosing, just don't be surprised if it wanders off into places you didn't intend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.