1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

It is the little things that make great days

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chipking, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

Had to run to the hardware store today to pick up a few small items. I took a shortcut on one of the new "high dollar" streets that have sprung up around Fredericksburg. You know the road type, $800K + homes, set well back on 5 to 10 acres, "no thru traffic" "speed 25 MPH increased fines" signs and foreclosure or for sale signs on every 4th one. When low and behold out of the roughage on my right comes a covey of 9 Quail. I almost ran off the road in shock. I have not seen coveys of Quail in the wild for more years than I care to think about here in Virginia. I watched them flush and fly over to a broom sage field on the other side of the road.

Some times it's the little things that make great days.

--- Chip King ---

2. psfive

psfive Member

I don't care what anybody says. A covey of quail is one of the finer things in life. Then to see them right there in the midst of so much bad news. Paul in Nebraska.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What is really cool is to get into a 'mother flush' of 200+ quail. That wonderful wingbeat sound is almost too much - its the kind of thing that makes you forget all about shouldering the gun and taking a shot.

Just two more weeks and it will be bird season here ... can't wait and yes it is the stuff great days are made of.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I wish I could see some around here too Chip, we used to have quite a few, then they were gone, a couple of years ago, though we had a covey that was nested in a weed patch full of Giant Ragweed, then a damn red tailed hawk saw them and would set on the post where an electric fence went over a gate, and he killed every one of them

If I see them again it's going to be hawk season, I know hawks do kill alot of rodents but the also kill alot of song birds and quail, and we have way too many hawks in the area

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Careful--- hawks are protected most places. SHHHHHH! grin --Ross

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If all house cats were kept indoors we would have a hell of a lot more in the wild here in VA. Jeff

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I've never seen a 200 bird covey,but I've flushed wild birds with a covey size of 60-80.Man.........now thats a sight I'll never forget.........ah those were the days............Hey Chip,sure glad you saw what you did.........you are a lucky man........hope you see some more.

D.P.Reynolds
    P.S. Man I love quail!

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I grew up in an area where the quail were common and even since as a young adult (long time ago) but it seems they've been replaced by all the alleged homeless sitting on the corners with their cardboard pleas; you know, that guy who leaves his post at the end of the day, walks to a decent home nearby, unlocks the door with a key, and leaves his gear behind when he backs out of the garage in a Camaro, and heads for the bar with his new found wealth.........breakemall

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Ross, I think everything is protected now days, if not by the law by my wife LOL

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

We have a large covey that frequent our yard and bird feeders. I love the sound in the early morning and late evening just before dusk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.