1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Issues With Reloads - Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BlzMTU88, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlzMTU88

BlzMTU88 TS Member

So I have been having some sort of problem with my reloading lately and was wondering if anyone could help. For some reason, I have been having a lot of variation in in the velocity and charge of the shells I have been reloading and first thought that it would be a mechanical problem with my MEC 9000G, but I have 2 machines, and the problem is happening with the shells coming off both machines. So the chance of the same exact problem happening at the same time to both machines in minimal so I am thinking that it has something to do with my components. Here is the formula I am using...

2 3/4" Remington STS Hull
    Downrange DRRT12 Wad
    Nobel Sport 209 Primer
    IMR 700X, #27 Bushing

According to the IMR website and Mec's reloading data, this formula should produce around an 1180fps shell but the shells I they are only getting as high as 1080fps testing them on my chronograph. I loaded up these shells last weekend for a shot up north and when using them, half of them seemed to shoot fine and half of them seemed like there was little or no powder in them at all.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on or any adjustments I should make to my formula. I already have an abundance of these components so buying new is something I don't want to do. Thanks for the help.

Kyle

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If you're not weighing what the bushing is droping, you haven't a clue how much powder you're loading with. The charts for approximations for bushings are dismally unreliable. Weigh your drops and compare that to the recipe you're trying to achieve....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Me and a few shootin buddies had the same problem only we were using wolf primers some would sound good and others would go off and sound hollow all of us had the same results when we switched to the cheaper primers on the market i knew my loader worked fine before such as no static in bottle and bar is making full travel switched to win 209s and problem was gone overnight.

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Sir i think i may know what your problem is. Sometimes if it is dry where you are then there could be static that builds up in your machine and catches the powder in your tube. I solved my problem using 700x by hanging a small piece of a dryer sheet in my powder bottle off of the cap. It worked great. you may want to run it through your drop tube first to get any static out that may already be there. Try it, and if it doesnt work it doesnt hurt anything. And 700x is a tough powder to load on mecs anyways. A mec representative told me this last year.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check your powder drops. USE A SCALE! Don't use a bushing chart, except to get you somewhere in the ball park. You could easily be two grains light on powder. I'd also suspect that the Nobel Sport primers might be partly to blame. How much SHOT are you loading? The wad would suggest a 1oz load, but with a light powder charge of a dense powder like 700-X, you could possibly have room for 1 1/8, or be experiencing dished crimps. Poor/weak crimps can also give wide variations in velocity. Double check your data against reliable published loads again, once you have an idea what powder charge weight you are getting. If your #27 bushing drops the same as mine, a light powder charge is the most likely cause. My recommendation......STOP loading until you have a scale and start using it.

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

All of the above have merit and this is what you need--people who have been there! For goodness sakes do buy a scale! I am not a believer that Wolf or Noble primers are the problem. I have, and many of my friends have, loaded thousands of the Nobles with no problems. I suspect static or something simple is the problem. I have had spider webs in the drop tubes that caused me grief a time or two, but you have two loaders. I once had an adjustable bar that did not cycle properly if the bottles were screwed down as tight as I thought they should be (Threw that bar away)You say the bottles are making the full swing. And I have had static bridging. If this is your problem, you have build up in the tubes and you will need to clean them out even if you add a static sheet as mentioned above. Just run a dowel with a dry patch through the tubes and see what happens.
    Hang in, this too will pass!

7. 100straight

100straight Member

I've loaded somewhere around 35,000 Nobel Sport primers, and I have not had a single misfire or variation in load. I suggest that you watch the charge bar cycle, and make certain it is traveling to the far left (the screw should just touch the left side of the slot) as the machine cycles. My experience is that when MEC loaders are making loads that vary it is because the charge bar is not going ALL the way to the left and is dropping erratic charges.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

8. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I would agree that my first guess would be static or not enough travel of the charge bar.

Defineatly start weighing your drops to make sure you have the right bushing in there.

I have a friend that loads 700X on a 9000g and even after grounding it to the grounded table there was statice so much like the earlier post he actually wrapped a dryer sheet around the powder bottle. It worked like a champ!

Nick

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

9000G !

I used 700X for a year and suddenly in March I started having these poof loads, plenty of power to clear the wad etc. but very weak sounding (lots of funny looks from friends) Since then, and before March I never had ANY issues with 700 X, in fact I just finished the 12lb keg. At the time I chalked it up to bad wads, Claybuster/windjammers, and a low charge of powder 16.5 grains, I kind of thought that maybe the wad seal was so bad that gas was escaping by??? Anyway, I changed wads to Fig 8's and no more issues while using the 700x, now I am out of 700X and have gone to Red Dot without and further incident. I think the issue MAY have been static related as I have issues with static in the funnel while filling the bottle at that time??? GuessI'll never know for sure.
    I am using the 2 flats that I reloaded those few days in March for practice, and although I have not had any more poofs, once in a while I DO detect one that is a bit weaker than the others??

10. snowbird trap shooter

snowbird trap shooter TS Member

Has your powder gotten damp? Is anything in the passage the powder goes thru?

11. Cush

Cush TS Member

Some things I didn't see others mention:

Weigh each powder drop until you are satisfied there is no problem with the amount or the consistency.

Make sure the hulls have not had even THE TINIEST DROP of water get into any part of them. (Any hull you find on the ground is subject to having moisture in it from rain 2 days ago.)

Make sure you are applying enough wad-pressure. If you don't seat the wad tightly down on the powder you can get the symptoms you described.

12. KS user

KS user TS Member

I would definitely weigh your powder charge. I use 700x also.I don't know what powder charge you are looking for,but i use a #30 bushing,and my powder charge is about 17.5gr.

13. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Be sure the brass dimpled washer/grommet that sits between the powder bottle and the charge bar isn't flattened out and riding back and forth. I had this happened to me one time and it caused much grief with inconsistent powder drops, and it was hard to detect. I just happened to have an extra one and once I replaced it, the problem went away.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kyle, first off you are droping appoximatly 15.6 gr's of powder. This is a very light drop (I think) Hod. website is down right now. I load about 17 gr's of Clays for a one oz. load and have off sounding loads with Nobel Sport primers as well. If I use the Win. AA's I have no problems at all. I have also loaded thousands of these loads with the Win. never a problem until I used Nobels primers. It think it may because of low chamber pressures in my 12 ga. load. If I use the same primers in my 28ga. or 410 loads I have no problems at all. These smaller ga. loads have fairly higher chamber pressures which is normal in the small guns loads. Check powder drops with a scale, and make sure you hold the handle down for 2 seconds to let the powder fill up the bushing before you lift the handle back up. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.