1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Island Lake State Recreation Area gun range

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerbear, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Man they just can't get a break!!! See above....

Here is a snipet....

Contributing Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DNR agrees to close gun range on holidays
    May 8, 2008
    Christopher Behnan
    Daily Press & Argus

Green Oak Township residents living near the Island Lake State Recreation Area gun range may soon be subject to slightly less noise from the range.

State Sen. Valde Garcia, R-Marion Township, announced Wednesday that the state Department of Natural Resources has agreed to close the gun range on holidays throughout the year, and limit shooting hours on Mondays and Tuesdays during certain months.

Garcia said the DNR has also agreed to conduct a comprehensive sound study at the range this summer and submit results to the public by September. If needed, measures to reduce noise from the range will be pursued, Garcia said.

He said the DNR's commitment is a "good-faith" effort on the part of the DNR to area residents. Livingston County Circuit Judge Stanley J. Latreille last year dismissed noise and other claims made by residents against the range.

"It is the shooting range. It is a compromise," Garcia said.

Resident Jenness Wiegand, an intervening plaintiff in the former lawsuit, said the DNR's actions mean little. She said most of the agreements were already in place.

"It's no compromise," Wiegand said.

"There isn't a day off for us," she added.

Link to story

Jerbear

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Here is the paper link. Livingstondailey.com

Jerbear

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

From D Hughes,

I'm at it again with Sen. Garcia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in March, I posted on this forum that I was mad at Sen. Garcia. Some of your responces were still in support of him.
    Well, in the mean time he has met with the DNR (and I'm equally as mad at them) and convinced them to close the range down on holidays and restrict their hours on some days. He has also got them to agree to still further sound testing after numerous sound tests were done during the trial and it has been ruled that the range is not in violation of any laws nor is it a nuisance.
    He does all this while still getting endorsements from all of Michigan's gun right groups.
    He has taken this action against a private business. That's right, a private business. You see, the shooting range, although situated on State land in a State park, is a privately owned enterprise that has a concession with the State DNR.
    How many of you would tolerate a Senator using his power to restrict your business and dictate to you on what days you could operate your business? How would you like it if you were a plumber and you were not allowed to work on Mondays and Thursdays for example.
    I know there are gun clubs and shooting ranges around that only open a few days a week, but these are non profit clubs that have a strong volunteer base and does not have to make a profit to remain in existance. I know this as I belong to a few of them and I am on the Board of Directors of the Michigan Sporting Clays Association.
    Island Lake is one of only two for profit trap, skeet and sporting clays business in Michigan. All the rest are non profit.
    Pat his invested in all of the equipment, such as lawn cutting, snow plowing and all of the eighty some trap machines that launch the targets out on the sporting clays course. He has a staff of about 16 employees that keep the facility running and looking good.
    The point I'm trying to make here is that, this range is not typical of the other ranges in the state and if we let a Senator do this , over step the law and put restrictions on this privately owned range (that the judge entered into the range protection act) then the Range Protection Act that you all rely on to protect your club, won't mean a thing.
    Senator Grica seems to think it is OK to cater to a few neighbors and to forget about all the gun owners who have supported him through all these years. Many more of his constituents are in favor of the range than those who are opposed to it.
    I think he needs to receive a strong message.

Jerbear

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

We were at Island Lake again Saturday to practice for the Motor State Open coming up this weekend. Island Lake is a primo course and facility. If Michigan doesn't want to treat him right, I'm sure we can find Pat a home in Ohio. What are they thinking? Pat runs a first rate operation and he's a great guy, and there are already sound baffles in all the shooting stations now. I'll bet the adjacent highway makes more noise than the range. Only thing that pisses me off is the dang DNR giving parking tickets out in the parking lot for no "Parking Permit"???? What's up with that? Michigan is real user friendly.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It's a State Park and you need a parking permit. Buy a 1 day permit at the counter. Those are the rules and have been the rules. If you have shot there before it should not be a surprise so quit bitching.

Pat's getting a bad deal from the DNR. Shooters should let the DNR and Garcia know that this is BS.

Don

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I think we should move Pat to Dundee, around Cabelas somewhere. Then, promptly start one of Michigan's largest Hog finishing facilities at that location.
    Hmmm, smell that money!

7. claybuster425

claybuster425 TS Member

Dove Commander;
    We're always happy to see the shooter's from Ohio. You guy's mean a lot to us and we appreciate you continues support of Pat and the shooting range.
    Yes it is unfortunate that you must pay a fee to park there, but it is a State Park and the Antis made it a point to drive through each day and call the DNR and complain if they saw any vehicles there without a permit. Now the DNR makes a couple of trips through the lot each day and write tickets.
    They make us sell them and that of course takes time away from our desk help and we have to keep the State money separate from ours. All we get from it is the hassle.
    We would much prefer not to do it at all. But it is what it is, and we just abide by their rules.
    Again, we appreciate your business and the long drive you make each time you come up our way.
    Don Hughes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
island lake rec shooting
island lake recreation gun range
island lake recreation shooting
island lake recreation shooting range
island lake shooting range age limit
island lake state rec area shooting range

island lake trap

need to register guns at island lake shooting range