1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Islamorada fishing tips/bridges/party boats

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by One Eyed Left Handed, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Being a broke trapshooter, I'm looking for advice on some party boat input and on my own (with wife) fishing in Islamorada. Going 10/20 thru 10/27. will be taking light tackle 6ft. spinning med action 8 lb. test and some gulp shrimp, crabs, mullet, etc.

Any opinions on Bud and Mary's versus Robbie's on the party boat? Isn't a stern spot best on most of the party boats? I've read about the channel 2 bridge and Annie's for wade fishing on the sandbar but am looking for some know-how? Is live shrimp with very lttle weight still king down there. How about popping corks? Oh, and where's the best place to purchase local seafood in case I can't catch any? Any and all input is appreciated!

Eddie Quire

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Eddie, to be honest with you I used to go down there a couple times a year to go fishing and went out on the party boats down there. I always did better here off Palm Beach County than I ever did down in the Keys, but this was 35 years ago. I found the party boats mostly a waste of time, unless you just want to get offshore, wet a line and enjoy just being there and fish are a bonus. You would probably get more fish in the local fish markey for your money. Ask the locals in some of shops for the best places get fresh seafood, they know the best current resterants to go to. Most resterants there will cook your catch for a nominal fee. Now Tarpon fishing was at the begining of summer so they are mostly gone. I'm not sure about the Grey ghosts. Unless you think your wife will pole a flats boat all over the flats I say hire a boat and guide. Or do what most locals here do. Grab a few dozen live shrimp find a bridge off the main highway thats off the beat and path so to say and fish there for the last 45 minutes, and the first 45 minutes of a tide change. Try both high and low tides to be sure if its good spot or not. Bait shops will have all the tides charts, but may not steer you to the best spots to fish. Bring along some squid and cut up some narrow long strips and use that as well. Lots of snappers around briges and will test your fishing skills to the limit. Since your a broke trapshooter no reason to tell you about the private charter boats at over 600 a half day (last price I know before the bad economy) Tight lines and Break-em all. Jeff

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hey Eddie...

A good friend of mine (he's also an avid trapshooter) lives in Marathon. He's a licensed Captain and knows the waters well.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his info, etc.

Curt

4. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

The best seafood that I have found in the keys is right next to the world wide sportsman store and the restaurant is right behind it. They have GREAT grouper sandwiches along with all the usual seafood.
    Stone crabs will be in season and that is the best thing that comes out of the ocean and you will FLINCH at the price.
    You will have a great trip that time of year. But you need aguide for a full day for flats fishing or you will just have a long boat ride.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I remember as a young teenager getting all you can eat Stone Crabs for ten dollars. That was alot of money in those days, but we went pretty regular for a long time. Those were the days. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.