1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

isis recoil system

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ron y, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron y

ron y TS Member

has anyone out there tried the isis recoil pads or the isis adj combs with the facesaver system, any comments,,,thanks ron
  2. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

Tron- There is more to the Isis than a sponge b/w a couple pieces of plastic (delrin actually).

From their website:

Three systems are used to control the recoil effect: - a) the hydraulic shock absorber that does the bulk of the work. b) The mechanical resistance of specially manufactured springs which can be varied in strength, dependent on each individual shooter and c) The pneumatic smoothing effect created by metered air release as the unit compresses. These three mechanisms working together create a linear deceleration of the gun over a very short distance (about ¼”) which is hardly noticeable to the majority of shooters.

From my research, they seem to be far and away the lightest recoil unit one can install, so if the balance of your gun is a major concern, they may be your only option. They may not necessarily be the best/cheapest option, but possibly the only option if you don't want to chance the weight/balance of your gun significantly.
  3. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

I installed an Isis on a friend's gun. Seemed like a good unit to me. The travel was a little on the short side, about only 3/8" or less as I recall. It was fairly easy to install.

My preference is the G-Squared. I have one on a Beretta 390 and it is a delight to shoot. The recoil is almost as low as my Remington 1100 Sporting .410 gauge!

Jim Skeel
  4. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

i have one on my 391 sporting and like it because it absorbs a lot of the recoil and yet is not heavy at all. mine does not have the adjustable comb. It is quite easy to install. FWIW. JM
  5. mt

mt Member

I had one of their recoil systems on a trap gun that i have since sold. I really liked it. The only other system that i've owned was the gracoil system and i much preferred the ISIS system.

Of note, the designer of the system was incredibly helpful with regard to returning emails and answering questions.
  6. Ruck

Ruck Active Member

I installed a couple of dozen Isis units for a Texas gun dealer some time ago. I am not impressed! I have also removed at least that many and replaced them with both RAD's (when I was doing them) and my own Bump-Buster's. I agree with Tron; the Isis, imo, is a spendy piece of junk. The British agree.....some of the ones I've replaced have been for U.K. shooters when they come here to compete. I am in negotiations as we speak with a large firm in England for them to become the U.K. distributor for the Bump-Buster because they want a better system than their British built Isis. They tell me that many of their Junior shooters shoot in excess of 60,000 targets per year and need better recoil reduction than the Isis gives them. Yes, they said 60,000!!!!!!!

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks
  7. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

Ken,
    I do not understand why you would bash someone elses product.
    There is a positive and negative to any of the many recoil devices we have at our desposal,none of which are trouble free.
    I have an Isis on one of my Kolar Sporting guns and have never had any issues,it is a good functioning unit and all of the components except the delrin housing have (Made In The USA) stamped on them.
    If I should need to replace the cylinder or bearing parts,they are available in Dallas Texas 50 miles from me.
    I also have a BumpBuster and A RAD on my other two Kolars and a Gracoil and a Counter-Coil on two of my 680 Berettas.
    I have had issues with the RAD and the BumpBuster and the Counter-Coil altho be it minor ones,like the adjustments loosening during a tournament,a hydraulic cylinder leaking oil in my stock from the Counter-Coil,but what the heck,I just carry plenty of tools with me to keep them going.
    I have till yet to ever have any issues with the Isis and do not think they are junk!!!!!!!

Just my personal experience !!!!!

Respectfully,

Harold Steen

NSCA 500292 Master VET
    NSSA 185659
    ATA 8707357
  8. whopper1

whopper1 Member

is this the Ron Y that shoots at Lake Milton?

Dave C
  9. battuedave

battuedave Member

Love my Isis, Works like a fine Swiss Watch,
    100,000 rounds with out a hic cup.

No need to bash any product
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.