1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your gun safe interior lighted?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

My eyes aren't what they used to be and I find I need some lighting in my AMSEC gun safe. Would be interested to hear (and see pics if possible) of ways others here have lighted up the inside of their safe.

Oh, the interior of my safe is carpeted, but velcro does not stick.

Thanks

Gene in Illinois

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

One option at the the link above.

3. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

Ran a 20 foot strip of led's up and around the back and installed a wireless switch in my Liberty Fatboy.

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thx.

Billetproof: How did you attach the LED strip ? My carper won't accept velcro and I understand that drilling holes in the fireproofed walls may reduce the fire rating.

Gene in Illinois

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Hmmmm could you not attach to the gun rack supports, those are not contributing to the " fireproofness " they are just carpeted wood!

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I keep an LED flashlight right on top of the safe, easy, portable, cheap and versitile ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The walls of my safe are felt lined on the top and drywall underneath. I put in some sheet metal screws and hung two "punch" lights that are sold at Home Depot. The run on batteries and you push the middle on the light to turn it on and off. They work great.

8. Greevesman

Greevesman Member

Go to www.stack-on.com. Under secure storage, accessories.
    They have a light fixture that is a motion sensing LED. Velcro or mecahical attachment. Something like $32 bucks. It is great. Open the door and it comes on. Battery life? Had it for 8 months. No changes yet.

9. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

DITTO, WTP. Just looking at cost to replace a couple D batteries once in a while.
    CHEAPO Olde Pharte

10. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

I use the litetechauto kit from the link above. It works great. It comes with velco that has adhesive that may stick to the walls of your safe. You could certainly attach them to the shelving or get other adhesive attachment blocks at any hardware store.

Dave

11. smilyb

smilyb Member

Harbor freight has a LED light with a hook like a cloths hanger. Have not tried it on a safe but works well in my RV compartments.

12. cpd544

cpd544 Member

My safe does not have holes for a cord, is a wireless light you can use?
    Jim

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Liberty Safes sells a kit that includes two motion-sensor equipped, battery-powered triangular LED light units that are intended to be recessed into the sale ceiling or walls. I have them attached to the walls with drywall screws. They illuminate the interior of my 50 cubic-foot Liberty very well but I recently added one of those LED strips around the door opening just because I had one on hand.

Ed

14. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

AverageEd:

With those dry wall screws attached to the ceiling in your safe, presumably to the drywall interior, wouldn't that impact the fire resistance capability ?

Or would that only be the case if you remove the screw and reveal the hole ?

I see screws in my safe holding the shelf brackets in place and wonder about using screws to attach a a 'light rope'.

Gene in Illinois

15. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

Plastic half clamps and 1/2 screws. Not going to hurt the drywall.

16. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

cpd544:

The above website seems to have about every option I've seen so far.

The AMSEC light at $30.00 looks like a good option if you have the right kind of panel on the inside of the door. Chek AMSEC's site for a video.

Gene in Illinois

17. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

OK, thanks to all who responded for the suggestions.

A flashlight may be OK for those with better vision than I have. I need more light than a directed beam.

I looked at the other suggestions and decided to go with a modified form of Billetproof's suggestion.

My safe is made by American Security, so I looked at the light they sell that clamps to the door. I decided against it because I already had a 16 foot 'rope light'.

The rope light is about 1/2" in diameter. I went to Ace Hardware and found some 3/8" cable clips that have an adhesive base (they didn't have any 1/2" clips). I attached the clips to the inside front sides of the safe, spaced about 2 feet apart. The location for the clips is not carpeted (except along the bottom) and runs around the entire perimeter of the inside of the front door jam. Being careful not to have the rope light anywhere near the large holes that the 2 hinges go into, I ran the AC plug wire through the back of the safe using the hole provided. The cord for my dehumidifier rod also uses this hole.

I then put an in-line on / off wheel switch near the end of the cord. So now, I open the safe, turn the wheel switch and can see everything in the safe. I don't know the rating of the rope lights in wattage, but they are sufficiently bright for me Yea !!! All I have to do is remember to turn it off. Maybe later I can find a motion sensing on / off switch, and could replace the wheel switch.

Gene in Illinois

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Gene, these light units are fairly light for their size, so I only used one screw each just long enough to get a grip in the drywall. Being LED and having three "aim-adjustable" rows of LEDs that face in three directions, they throw light 360 degrees and really light up the interior of the safe well. They use AA batteries and can be set via a switch to only turn on manually or, if the motion-sensing feature is used, how long they stay on.

I put a link to this light kit above. Liberty says they are for dealer installation only but my dealer was happy to order them for me - even had them shipped directly to me. For $40, they make a real professional-looking setup and offer the bright white light of LEDs.

Ed

19. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

Yes, it is lighted....just finished this project as a gunroom/tornado shelter. Also have a generator with transfer switch in case of a power outage. I'm retired, so I have had lots of time to complete the work myself. It's been lots of fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kenpo11cincy

kenpo11cincy TS Member

I ran a small light from the outlet in the bottom of my safe (Vintage Browning). I mounted it to the bottom of the upper most shelf. It works great and cost me about $15. Thou its effectiveness would depend on the safe configuration of shelves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lighted gun safe

will led strip lights stick to gun safe interior