1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Your Forcing Cone Polished?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CharlesR1100, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

You can't see it by holding the barrel up to a light source. The F/C then appears to be a dark circle about 1/2 inch wide. So how can you check the length and the surface of the F/C?

From the choke end of the barrel push a clean, white piece of paper or better yet a clean, white cleaning patch up the barrel to a point just short of the forcing cone. Put a light source near the chamber end of the barrel. By looking into the barrel, the cleaning patch, or paper will reflect the light back and the forcing cone can be seen. You can then determine its length and whether it needs polishing.

I found this tip in an old post by Neil Winston. He is also good with book reviews, and he knows his stuff.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I just drop a fiber optic light down and it shows everything. When I got my new 35" MX-15 barrel I was not impressed with the factory polishing on the forcing cone, so I made Giacomo repolish it. Now it is satisfactory.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you ever think of using a bore guage and get the dimensions to nearest .001 of an inch? HMB

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Yes,,bought that,,and also a Hawkeye bore scope so you can see EVERYTHING.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Rem 870s, 1100s and 1187s have had rougher than hell forcing cones for quite some time now. So far the only drawback appears to be they take more work to clean. I've been meaning to ream mine out, but haven't got around to it yet.

6. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I am lucky, have a proctologist friend who likes looking at things that are in a tube and in the dark. He checks the barrels for me as part of the bi-annual check up since the equipment is dirty anyway.

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

LOL...Good one Sako!

8. ken a

ken a Member

Sports shot, beat me why they want to polish forcing cones. Must be a long winter and nothing else to do.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Sportshot, because it makes cleaning easier. It abrades the wad less so less plastic is deposited in the barrel above the cone. Also, as an ex-machinist, lousy finishes on machined surfaces offend me.

Others believe it produces more magical properties such as higher velocity, increased consistency and better patterns. Maybe it does, maybe not.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Yes, the forcing cones on the Rizzini BR320 sporter are long, polished, without even a lip at the end of the chamber, and chrome plated. You simply cannot tell.

Long (4" to 5") cones done start to finish with a Sunnen hone or equivalent provide excellent finishes and are hard to see.

11. m70win

m70win Member

Wouldn't rough forcing cones slow the wad down so you don't get the dougnut shaped patterns?

Tim

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tim- How can a wad get in front of the shot to produce a hole in the center pattern?

Pat Ireland

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The only "dough nut hole" pattern I've seen was in SS mag. in the joke department. May be able to create one using a single #1 buck in the base surrounded with shot to equal an ounce load? That big hunk plowing thru the smaller mass fairly quick might produce one? :) Hap

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

K-80 cones are polished. HMB

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hap, if you look at the illustration section of James Russell's fine book you will see several drawings of doughnut hole patterns, one with that title. There are no photographs, unfortunately . . .

Neil

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Maybe if I'd place a cheerio on top of my shot, nah, that won't cut it either.

Neil, I think Mr. Russel mis-understood a lot of what he was told? And, his writing abilities were just a notch above mine and I can't write! Hap

17. m70win

m70win Member

Pat I'm pretty sure I read about it on the internet somewhere so it must be true.

Tim

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can hone forcing cones with a brake hone.

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I was told that at one time, someone made barrels that had no forcing cone - they were evenly tapered from chamber mouth to muzzle. In effect, they were "all" choke. I don't recall who made them but as I remember, they were highly regarded.

Ed

20. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I aint goin there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

forcing cone polishing

polishing short forcing cone