1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

### IS YOUR CLUB A.D.A.COMPLIANT? ###

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Our small club is on property owned by the County, and was once a part of the County farm. It used to be the site of the County Fair, and horse race track.

Our club was incorporated in 1938, and built the clubhouse, and outbuildings on this site in 1955. We have a lease with the County that was amended in 2010, that requires only a $1.00 per year payment, and we own all of the improvements on the land until the lease expires in 2073.

What we are faced with now is the Fed. govt. is enforcing the ADA standards put in place in the early 1990s, but were pretty much ignored until now.

THIS IS ANOTHER UN-FUNDED MANDATE FROM OUR GOVERNMENT!!

The County has a firm hired to assess all of their buildings, and properties to make sure they meet the requirements.

We are discussing if the County owns our buildings, or if we own them.

This could be huge to us, because we could be looking at possibly thousands of dollars in improvements, since we are a public building.

Even if we determine we own the buildings, failure to comply within the time frame, could mean a loss of all Federal funds for the County.

The tricky part is not only does the building have to comply, but the drive and parking areas, and walkways to all the trap and skeet fields have to be paved (not stoned), so we will still have a large expense.

Don't get me wrong, we welcome those less fortunate to enjoy our facility!

My question is: Have any other of you faced this problem, or has it come up for discussion yet?

Danny

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

You may need to get your own ADA lawyer. There a plenty of public places and facilities in this country that are not ADA compliant and there are certainly exemptions.

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Allot of what you have to do depends on where you are in the country. My club is in the San Diego area (California - major ADA requirements) and has had to go through the same stuff you are describing. You need to develop a plan for your club, have it blessed by your board of directors and publish it to your membership. If you have a website for your club, I suggest you post it on the website. That way the government can't close you down if they see a plan on when you are going to address each and every area. They know that small clubs can't afford the kind of money outlay it would take to fix some of these items. But if you create a budget blessed by your board to fix them over a few years, you'll be fine.

For example our club is very small and only has one men's bathroom and one women's bathroom. We made a plea to the NRA to help us financially (because our membership is 100% NRA and we support them) and they sent us funds to start the improvements. It has taken over two years, but the bathrooms are now complete. If you need to see a sample plan, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send your ours. I developed the plan by studying the requirements from the government website for my state.

Good luck, Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.