1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Winchester Select Energy Trap Good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jcallan, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

Folks,

I am considering a gun to begin shooting Trap with my son. I have never shot trap before. He loves the sport...I love my son...but do not want to go crazy with a high end gun. I have been considering Fabarms, SKBs, old Citoris, Weatherby's and am now looking at the Winchester Select Energy Trap O/U 30" as a starter gun for myself. I understand that any gun I get I will likely have to add an adjustable comb and Gracoil to get the fit right. So, I am willing to have the gun modified for fit.

Does anyone that has been in the sport for a while use/have used this gun for Trap? How do you like it? What are the pros and cons? Is it trouble free? Can I get it gunsmithed easily if required? Given the others I am considering, how does this one measure up?

Thanks for any/all advice.

Jim Callan

2. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

I meant a Winchester Select Energy Trap with 32" barrels.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Some locals have them and have received good service thus far. These however are not tournament shooters. I would think that any copetent smith could fix any problem that arose.

A Citori would be an excellent choice as well.

4. Rockeee1

Rockeee1 TS Member

The parts to this gun are machined in the same plant the belgium browning's are made.Winchester and Browning are owned by the same company.These are not as good as a browning?You need to explain that one!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Not as pretty but just as durable as a Browning.

Not marketed like Browning either. Good entry level, probably will not resale as well as a Browning but there are many out there worse than this one.

I would say buy it.

HM

6. trapshooter1981682

trapshooter1981682 TS Member

I had a Winchester Energy Select, and to be honest it was a good gun. had a little more recoil than i liked but over all it was a good gun.

7. spritc

spritc Active Member

Awfully hard to sell, nobody seems to want them. I finally traded mine to a local dealer who goes strictly by Blue Book, I did okay.

Steve

p.s. he still has it 4 months later

8. Borderland

Borderland Member

I have used a Win Select for 2 yrs at sporting clays..The lockup is similar to a Beretta and has a low profile. The parts are made in Belgium but the assembly is done in Portugal. I have not noticed any mechanical problems but myself and others who use them have experienced cracks in the forearm ($145 replacement from Win). The price has been coming down since introduction so I suspect they are not selling well. I also have a Citori and it seems to be made to a higher quality

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Some folks who have them love them. Browning Citori used, or Winchester Select new, same price.

The Citori is easier to service, from a gunsmith's point of view.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Some folks who have them love them. Browning Citori used, or Winchester Select new, same price.

The Citori is easier to service, from a gunsmith's point of view.

11. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

i started shooting when i was 15 with a select energy trap 32" nothing adjustable. shot my first 25 straight with it. after shooting it a year or so a peice of the forearm broke off when i opened it after a shot. took it to Arnold to browning/winchester after two weeks they sent my gun back, opened it up to find i have brand new gun, different gun, better gun. the wood is amazing, Belgium made (unlike the first). called them wondering why i have this gun, a mistake, shipping error what? Come to find out the gun manager deamed the gun unfit for shooting. The peice that broke the forearm was the release to take forearm off gun. It was set in epoxy and broke off (knew that before getting it fixed). I now shoot a Browning XT and love it no problems. If I could do it over again I wouldn't change a thing, except if you have the extra money to spend a little more for the XT do it. The select started me off well but with the XT I had shot it 200 shots 8 rounds then the next 100 were straight been shooting it since.

Chris Gerber

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to get the most enjoyment out of your trap shooting, find a used trap gun that you can shoot a few rounds of trap with. If you hit a lot of the targets with it and it doesn't hurt when you shoot it, then and only then buy it. HMB

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is the gun I started with. I still have it. Has maybe 8,000 rounds through it with no problems; but 8,000 rounds is not a lot.

If you do not intend to trade it, resale is of little consequence and it is a lot of gun for the money.

If you get serious about the sport you are better off starting with a BT99. It will hold its value and be easy to sell when you upgrade. It is proven and easy to fix. Cost is about the same and good used ones abound if you want to save money. The used ones may already have combs and butt plates added.

It is unlikely you will shoot doubles in the first year or two, so the O/U has no advantage. If you want to use the gun for other sports, then the O/U makes sense.

Don

14. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I shot one for about two years. I just traded it in on a beretta combo about 2 months ago. It was a really great gun. I probably had upwards of 25-30,000 rounds through it without one problem. Some people have had problems with the foreend cracking or something like that, but i never experienced it. In my opinion, its a really great value. I really didn't have any reason in particular for trading mine, i guess i just felt like trying something different...

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I shot one ONCE........I'm left-handed and it has a Right hand palm swell. Broke 24 out of 25 the first time I handled one. Still prefer shooting 21 or 20 with a NEUTRAL SKB unsingle.(I did have 3 -25 straights with my SKB ....BUT, LATELY I have struggled.)I DO like the SATIN (almost TRU-Oil) finish, the 32" for an O/U, and the Palm Swell ......if you are Right Handed on the SELECT. Perhaps TRY one first.The one I shot.........HE still has . Our President (club) bought one with nothing but problems and Gander took it back.

16. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

Thanks for all the advice and helpful hints.

17. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I had one and it had a lot of recoil. had a Gracoil installed and made it much more shootable. Like others stated you'd be better served with an XT or Beretta. Jake

18. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

There are probably more Brownings on the winners stand than any other single brand. You can probably buy a slightly used (looks like new) one with the adjustable butt pad and comb already installed. Plus, resale will be much, much better. Plus, there are many more models of Brownings to choose from. Look around.

WNCRob

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I had one.....good shotgun, sold it to a friend & he's still my friend.

Reading thru' the replies here, it seems like fore-arm cracks might be a weak point? To add.......a small piece of wood broke off the forearm of the gun I mentioned above recently. My friend sent the gun to Winchesters warranty facility (someplace in Missouri as I recall), they replaced the forearm free and he got it back quite promptly.

My gun was a 32" Monte Carlo Trap model, both bbls were well regulated and poi'd at 70/30 which was mostly WHY I sold it. I like a gun that shoots a little flatter, more like 60/40 so I preferred shooting my Beretta 687.

John C. Saubak

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My understanding about them no one installs a release trigger in them, I asked numerous release installers and they said they will not install a release in them. Such as Spears, Allem's Etc.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
winchester over and under trap gun c energy

winchester select energy forearm replacement

winchester select energy left handed
winchester select energy sporting left handed
winchester select energy sporting price
winchester select energy sporting vs citori 425

winchester select energy trap