1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is UTAH truly the #1 team !!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Is this the BCS's worst nightmare??? Utah up by 21-0 in the 1st qtr over 'Bama....

2. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

IT AINT OVER YET !!!

3. Duck

Duck Member

Well the Ute's definitely had their *hit in one sock tonight!. Wow!. They played a great game. In Alabama's defense I wish that clown had'nt got himself
    suspended, don't know if it would have changed the outcome but it would have changed the score.

4. Ertz

Ertz Member

I admit I am impressed. They have a really good case now, but politics does have an affect here as well. Number 2, but I think they are number 1

5. JOND

JOND TS Member

Why not? JOND

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Look @ USC and Utah both. It is amazing. They way these teams played. Can't wait until Florida and Oklahoma play. Well, I forgot...Ohio State and Texas. That will be great. Ole Miss gave Florida their only loss, and then beat Texas Tech yesterday. Texas Tech beat Texas. Texas beat Oklahoma, and Oklahoma beat Texas Tech. Wow, I am sure confusing myself, but I love College Football.

Matt

7. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Utah should be number one ,,,beat Bama worse than Florida ,,,D. Lang

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Anyone want to speculate on Utah's record if they played 8 games in the PAC-10, Big 12 or SEC?

9. The Greek

The Greek Member

Yes Mr. Brooks, I would speculate that would still be 13 and 0!!! That's one fine football team that is well coached. This year theUtes beat a TCU team that was ranked No. 12 at time, No. 14-ranked BYU, Michigan and an Oregon State team that had just come off a huge win over USC.

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

JBrooks, Utah beat Oregon State. USC did not. That being said, I think Utah and USC are the best two teams right now.

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

As a USC alumn, I will grant Utah #1 status in the country with the only unbeaten record. Consider the Pac. 10 is 5-0 in bowl games... not an easy conference. Fred

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"This year theUtes beat a TCU team that was ranked No. 12 at time, No. 14-ranked BYU, Michigan and an Oregon State team"

"JBrooks, Utah beat Oregon State. USC did not."

ROFLMAO!

A horrible Michigan team by 2 points and OSU by 3 points. Anyone want to bet on a USC and Oregon State rematch? Didn't think so.

Sorry guys but the big conferences would grind them up over 12 games because they just don't have the depth of talent that those conferences' teams have.

Comparing scores from individual games is circular reasoning and invalid. By example, you would have to argue that Stanford is also better than USC because Stanford also beat Oregon State.

If you want to compare results, the BCS computer rankings are the most comprehensive in considering scores, strength of schedule, etc. Utah was 5th behind OU, Texas, Florida and Texas Tech.

Utah is a very good team and deserve a hat tip for a job well done. They will end up ranked 4th.

13. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

the BCS program was made up By the SEC to make them look good,,.D.Lang

14. shotgunr47

shotgunr47 Member

The BCS program was made to keep those of us who demand a playoff system "satisfied". Rankings are just that, 'rankings' made by people and we will never know a real and true NCAA Football Champion until a playoff system is instituted. If a 1-A college team ranked in the top 25 finishes with a perfect record,even by today's system, and everyone else has a loss then it's completely stupid to rank them any other place than NUMBER ONE! Some will always say their "strength of schedule" is weak, well then it should be up to the NCAA to make everone's schedule more equal or else move the so called weak scheduled schools to 1-AA as they "must be" inferior to all the "BIG DOGS" of college football. But we have to remember that it's all governed by Greed and as long as money is the mainstay we'll have more "toilet bowl" games each and every year. A PLAYOFF IS THE ONE AND ONLY FAIR WAY TO DECIDE A NATIONAL CHAMPION and we all know it. Yes, Utah will likely be ranked 3rd or 4th but with a perfect record on their side they are still number one until someone beats them. -- JEFF

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

" But we have to remember that it's all governed by Greed and as long as money is the mainstay we'll have more "toilet bowl" games each and every year."

" But we have to remember that it's all governed by the need to pay for really expensive men's and women's athletic programs at each school and as long as money is the mainstay we'll have more "toilet bowl" games each and every year because football and sometimes basketball are the only two sports that make money.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Just remember, when it's all said and done. 13-0 still says "UNDEFEATED"...

17. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

13-0 means undefeated?- well I'll be hornswaggled cause I sure didn't know that.

18. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

We need some these southern college teams to come up North and play in the frozen tundra. A play off is the only way to settle it right. Best record gets home field advantage.

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Just remember, when it's all said and done. 13-0 still says "UNDEFEATED"..."

A nice sentiment but it does depend on the quality of the competition.

20. The Greek

The Greek Member

Mr. Brooks, for some reason, you feel like the Mountain West Conference does not have the quality of competition of the BCS conferences. The strength (BCS) of Utah's schedule this year was actually higher than Alabama's and they beat Alabama more than Florida did.

Since the 2003 season, Utah has won 59 games and lost just 16. Since 2000, the Utes have won 16 games against teams from the six major conferences - THE "BCS" SCHOOLS - more than any non-BCS team. They also have won eight consecutive bowl games dating back to 1999, the longest such streak in the nation.

Now this: a 13-0 season that included four wins over four nationally ranked teams and was capped with a signature victory over one of the most storied programs in all of college football, who spent the last month of this season ranked No. 1. And in an environment, no less, that was essentially a road contest for the Utes, given the 55,000 or so Crimson Tide fans who invaded the Superdome.

There is only "1" undefeated team in Division I football right now, so tell me why they should not be number 1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.