1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Trapshooting Too Expensive? Shells? Gas?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by concordefamily, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

AA Shells are $7.57 at WalMart (see other thread)
    Gas is close to $3.00 Per Gallon
    There has been alot of talk that it is getting too expesive to shoot anymore. That "back in (fill in the blank) a box of shells cost $xxx, a round of trap cost $xxx", and so on. I was at my local club today and learned that a round of trap has gone from $3.50 to $4.00 per round. Using this inflation calculator, http://www.westegg.com/inflation/ , it seems that it is actually cheaper to shoot now then it was 25 years ago. In 1981 a practice round cost $2.00 and it cost me about $2.85 to reload a box of shells (AAs or Peters Blue Magic). In todays (2006)dollars that equates to $4.72 per round and $6.72 to reload a box. A new box of AAs cost $4.50 in 1981 which equates to $10.62.
    I guess things aren't too bad after all!

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

yes, it is going to kill the sport and or slow it down big time. some people will continue to shot buy ALOT ALOT less. i could not believe the prices today for shells at gander mountion. it will hurt the small gun clubs.

4. emm2

emm2 Member

Shooting is expensive but there are not many cheap hobbies out there. I like many others will cut back some. I'll probably take my bass boat out more and burn that $3.00 gas.

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

YES!!!!!!!!

GS

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Makes no difference to me. I just got a 28 dollar a month raise on my SS check. That should keep me in ammo for quiet a spell. What ya think?

7. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Spend more time now at gun clubs suckin' up the free heat and .50 cent coffee. Used to shoot 14-15K reg. targets per year up til beginning of 2006. Have cut that by 2/3 in 2007 and likely in '08. Have got about 200 flats of $30.00 Rio's left and when their gone, gun's for sale and I'm going fishing..

8. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

Reloads - $3.70/box x 4 = $14.80
    Gas - $2.78/Gal x 6 gal = $16.68
    Target Costs - $20 for 1st 100, $18 for all others
    Total Cost for 1st round = $51.48
    Total Cost for 2nd round = $32.80
    Total Cost for 3rd round = $32.80
    Total Cost for 300 Targets =$117.80

Too expensive? For my budget, NO. I'm not sure where the breaking point will be. But for now, I'm not losing any shooting time or losing any sleep over the high prices. Nor am I having to adjust spending to make room for the shooting expenses. I'm certain there will come a time that I may have to adjust my spending, but I am committed to shooting through my passion for the game. Therefore I will find the money to support my shooting.

Often times I shoot more than 300 targets at the club I generally shoot. Naturally, the more I shoot, the price of the target comes down.

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

we got to figure a way to save the targets and pick up the lead after we shoot? lol

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

My wife fusses bout me spending money on trap shooting, the way things are going up. Told her that if I had to, I would sell my body to continue shooting. She just laughed and said that the next time I went shooting, she wanted to go along with me. I said, "what for, you never wanna go?" She just told me that she wanted to see how much fun I was gonna have for 3 dollars. Should have married a comedian.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Shooting is still cheaper than feeding a race car at any level, racing an offroad motorcycle twice per month, and cheaper than a ski boat powered by a V-8. There are things clubs and individuals can do to offset some of the incresed costs; smaller practice rounds, say 10 targets, a 28 gauge class (takes less lead), more 50 bird races, clubs offer camping and rv spaces for the traveling shooter, individuals getting together to buy shells in bulk etc.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Yep, too expensive. Go play golf.

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If it comes down to it I guess I could get a job to pay for shooting.

Jim

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kissable Wanker, You forgot getting pulled over by the Police. Not sure where your from. But here is Fla. a DUI will cost you a min. of $10,000 plus a night in Jail. I'll stick with shooting its much cheaper as you said above. Break-em all. Jeff

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

snyder, wont be long before we are forced to put up screens to collect and recycle shot, then forced to steel , then forced indoors shooting simulated laser trap.

16. Hawkeye Kid

Hawkeye Kid TS Member

The cost of everything has gone up. Has the amount of money you have to spend gone up the same?? I am retired an I do not have as much to spend as I did when I was working. How about you guyes??

Hank

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Life is getting more expensive every year. How many want to quit?

Pat Ireland

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe,even though the cost of shooting has gone up, that it is still reasonable.

However, the costs of othe phases of my life(utilities, groceries, etc) has gone up more, and there is just too much month left at the end of the money.

HM

19. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

It much cheaper than paying medical bills, count yourself blessed that you can afford to shoot pain free & in good health---what would really piss me off is that if I would check out today all my STUFF would be given away to some stranger at pennies on the dollar & I wouldn't have the opportunity to become a better shooter & meet great people----you can't buy time--its the most precious commodity in the world---by the way I turn 65 in two weeks---hope I make it or there will be a great sale on shot, primers,powder & hulls & lots of shells-----Phil

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you seriously think that shooting has remained the same cost wise, your having a "Flash Back" so enjoy it while you can because reality will be there when you come back down ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.