1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IS TRAPSHOOTING REALLY MEANT FOR THE WORKER?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    today at the club, an elderly shooter said "with the cost of shot and reloading supplies, the average joe can't afford to shoot anymore". he said with the advent of reloading, it made the avergage worker able to afford to shoot. another guy said, trapshooting was never meant for the average man. he said in europe, only the upper class and royalty use to shoot. don't know if that still is the case? WHAT DO YOU THINK? ARE THE SHOOTING SPORTS GETTING TO BE FOR JUST PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE? CAN ANYTHING BE DONE TO LOWER THE COST? i have always worked in A BANK. a strong bank is made up of the average guy, cashing his weekly check, and depositing his $20.00 per paycheck. thats the back bone of most banks. the back bone of most gun clubs, are it's league shooters. what can be done to lower cost? CAN WE AFFORD TO LOSE THE AVERAGE WORKER THAT SHOOTS?
    steve balistreri

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

We already have lost the average "Joe." If we ever had him in the first place. Trapshooting was never designed for the working man, in the sense of a Blue Collar worker. Unless he was UAW.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

shot410ga

Construction workers shoot around here. Is it OK with you if their not in the UAW?

Bill

4. grammie

grammie TS Member

Do you gentlemen know what trapshooting is called??? Its called the "sport of kings"!!!

Its always been expensive compared to other forms of entertainment!!!

Just before Phoenix closed for good,,I happened to see a collection of old shoot flyers from phoenix before it moved the 1st time,,,,some were from the 60's and had prices of 8.00 per hundred for targets,,,,but the options were as expensive as todays!!!! to hand over 50 bucks for options in the 60's was "unheard of" for a man that earned 75 dollars a week!!! And that was very good pay back then when you could get 3 loaves of bread for 25cents,,a glass of beer for a nickel,,a gallon of gas for 11 cents,,a pack of cigarettes for 17cents,a box of 22 long rifle shells for 32cents per box,,well---you get the picture....

As already stated above,,,it "never was" for the average joe!!!! It was for people that smoked pipes,,fished for trout,,and carried brandy flasks in the time when people never got more than 100 miles from the place of their birth their entire lives!!! They just had to go slumming to get the dregs of society like all of us to "prop-up" the "org"!!!!

AKA Grammie............

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Gun clubs were originally for the more well-to-do men of society. The working man spent too much time putting food on the table, or hunting for food in the 19th century. The origins of trapshooting are within the organized gun clubs in Cincinnati and New York, shooting live pigeons.

Not until the 1950's, when folks started earning extra cash, and the standard of living really started taking off, did shooting sports come out of the realm of the "rich".

When I shot trap in the 60's, and took up skeet in the late 70's, better guns were still out of reach for the average guy. Most guys I knew only drooled over the better Brownings and Krieghoffs.

As far as competition went and still goes, the average guy never had a chance anyway. Whether rifle or shotgun sports, the best spend whatever is necessary to make them the best.

Best,
    Dennis

6. Hauser

Hauser Member

I don't think things are as bad as some.

Above is a link to a web-site that allows you to compare the cost of things then and now. For instance; in 1973 the cost of targets to shoot the state shoot was $7.50/100. Thats the equivalent of $34.02 in 2006 dollars.

Jerry Hauser

7. Hauser

Hauser Member

I shot a lot of targets in the 70s when I was earning $11K/year and played all the options. Not so now only because they don't pay squat.

Jerry Hauser

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Horse racing is an equestrian sport which has been practiced over the centuries; the chariot races of Roman times are an early example, as is the contest of the steeds of the god Odin and the giant Hrungnir in Norse mythology. It is often inextricably associated with gambling. The common nickname for horse racing is The Sport of Kings.

The prize money in trap hasn't kept up with inflation. The option dollar entry has stayed level - as an example - the "Wolf" option in the Inland Empire Handicap held at the Spokane Gun Club was $20 in 1947 and it still was in 2007. In the early '70's they tried to raise the option and purse entry at the Grand and entries declined so the next year entry fees went back down and the shooter count went up.

Clubs make money selling targets, not options, so they set programs to be as inexpensive as possible, which in turn drives away the shooter who wants to make money shooting. Like the dealer at a poker game who raises the anti "to keep the shoe clerks out".

9. Nyttro

Nyttro TS Member

Jerry, you are correct.
    You figure Hotel for 2 nights = $150.00
    Shells, $150.00 @5 bucks a pop
    Gas+ 100 miles at least= @$3.00 a Gal.
    That equals $512.00 not counting your meals out.
    So you win the Championship on HDCP, wow, you just won $125.00 at best.
    You are absolutely right, ATA and PITA do not pay SQUAT on winning.
    Yes. they pay for the targets, trap help, etc, but we pay more for those clubs to exist.
    Do the math, the original Joe is no more. As other posters above, this sport was designed for the rich, and it shows today.

Nyttro

10. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Nyttro, you're making me cry so please stop the whining ya wimp. Get a second job so you can shoot more.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Trapshooting was never meant for all the lower classes. We of the elite class have been nice enough to let all the rif-raf participate up to now. But that is all changing because we ALSO control the prices of reloading components and our purpose is to reestablish the game for only the upper crust again! Sorry peasants....them's the way the cookie crumbles!

12. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

" trapshooting was never meant for the average man. he said in europe, only the upper class and royalty use to shoot."
    Please tell this dip-stick this ain't Europe. Free men are allowed to make an honest liveing, It never has been cheap to shoot and some can aford it more than others. If you can't aford it it is no ones fault but your own......Roger

13. Hauser

Hauser Member

I think trapshooting is fundamentally a blue collar sport.

Jerry Hauser

14. pfofml

pfofml Member

My start in registered shooting began in 1971. I was still in college and on a limited budget. Also, many of the other new shooters were also on a budget. I remember well overhearing several of the 'oldtimers", who had been shooting since the late 1930s, predict that trapshooting would be a dying sport because new shooters, like myself, could not afford the sport.

Since then, I have registered over 200,000 targets and still budget my shooting. So, what's the point? Some shooters will fall away due lack of funds. However, the biggest hurdles facing shooting sports are attracting new shooters and land usage. Today's chidren are less apt to become attracted to shooting, partly because of cost, but mostly due lack of interest on the part of their peers. As for land usage: today there a few things that are unwanted in nearly all neighborhoods. These are airports, hog barns, and shooting ranges. As our cities grow, finding available space for any of the former will become increasingly difficult.

Yours in service,

Peter Falk III

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Trapshooting is for ANYBODY that wants to step to the line. Any class always finds the money for what they want to do shooting, golfing, bowling, snowmobiling, boating, fishing. If you think any of these is cheap or more expensive that trapshooting you just want to whine. You can stay on the fringe of any of these and only spend a little or you can jump in as most do and spend a lot.

Sympathy I don't have because to feed my habit I am still working when most my age are setting on their arse. It all depends on how bad you want it.

Don

16. PATRICK L HOGAN

PATRICK L HOGAN TS Member

TO: Hipshot3,

You old boy are a pompas ass !!!

17. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I once read in sports Afield Mag. years ago that the only way to get rid of our guns and sports shooting is to make it expensive enough that the average guy will not spend the money.

Well not only has our componets gone up but look at the taxes on your property and everyday living. People forget about a 3rd of the country are living on temperary wages with no insurance and half the pay.

Ronald Regan broke the Russians buy building the military where the Russians could not keep up with the spending. And now our government and the rich are doing the same thing to us thanks to the New World Order.

When I look back 30yrs and remember hearing the older people talk about the future and what was happening I use to think they were very ecentric but I believe now they were very right. Bill

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hogan.......Thanks for being kind! I been called worse!What do "pompas" mean?

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

I surmise that one must either be a "worker" or to have been given a lot of money to piss away to be a trapshooter.

I doubt many unemployed persons shoot trap unless they have been smart enough to plan for their retirement and have the funds to enjoy the pastime.

Don

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

You can just look at the success of the SCTP program to come up with a good answer to your thoughts.

Just what percentage of those young shooters continue to shoot once the almost free ride is over for them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.