1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Trapshooting a Dying Sport ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi, IMHO trapshooting WAS dying a slow painful death over the last 25 years or so with 1 'old boys club' dying off to be replaced by the next, and no force driving recruitment. NOW, though, I honestly believe more and more clubs are becoming proactive with promoting our sport, and apart from a few 'stick in the mud's' the sport's future is promising. Don't sweat it, and enjoy yourself. Cheers-Graham.

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I think there is a big resurgence in trapshooting. Much of it spurred by juniors.

We have 55 in our SCTP program this year. We have 16 first year shooters with only 8 that did not return.

Other teams around us also have greater participation even with the questions in the economy.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ohio Gal,

I don't know whether trap shooting is dying or not. If it is dying, it is doing so rather slowly.

What I'm a bit more sure about is that, of the various shotgun shooting sports, Sporting Clays seems to be growing faster than any of the other shooting sports in this country.

While trap and skeet are less expensive to shoot than sporting clays, sporting clays seems to be drawing more young people to the sport..... in addition to a lot of 50+ year olds who generally have more money (and time) to spend on their hobbies.

Easystreet

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes, trapshooters die on a regular basis. But, to be honest; there are a lot fewer shooters today than in the 1980's.

5. emm2

emm2 Member

Here in Kansas skeet is dead, trap shooting is slowly declining and sporting clays is growing at a rapid rate. This is based on target sales at local gun clubs in the Kansas City area.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Getting the kids involved in shooting is a great step in the right direction for all the shooting sports! A lot of those kids will come back to the sport when they earn their way later in life. Easystreet pointed out another very important group also we need to attract to trap shooting also. Those that can afford it now!

"in addition to a lot of 50+ year olds who generally have more money (and time) to spend on their hobbies.

Easystreet"

Figuring out how to best attract more of those people to trap shooting is mighty important also! How do we do that is the question and as an organization, does ATA do enough to accomplish that? I just introduced my quail hunting partner to ATA shooting and he got hooked right off! How? By winning his second attempt at singles in "class D" with a 93 and a short yardage trophy with an 86 from the 20!! He's hooked big time! Had I introduced him at another club, more than likely he may have been placed in a minimum class "B" and possibly penalty yardage too! How we introduce new shooters and where makes a big difference in whether or not they continue. We have to dispel the notion of having to shoot perfect scores to have a chance of competing with a possible win, place or show long enough to get a shooter hooked on our game!!

Hap

7. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

One only has to look at the numbers from any major shoot, including the Grand, and compare them over the last 10 years or so, and the answer is obvious. Name another sport where you could make more money in the 1970's than you can make now! Trying to stay alive by providing youth programs sounds like a good idea, except when you stop subsidizing their shooting, and they get a driver's license, you lose 90+% of them.

8. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I sure hope not but if it could be speeded up a bunch would probably find a lot more shooters sticking around to shoot events. Not sure how it could be done... I don't stand in chow lines either.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ohio Gal, Yes it is true that both Skeet and Trap are dieing a slow death. I think Skeet is going abit faster than Trap is. While Sporting Clays is slowly growing in numbers. While a small number of the Trap and Skeet shooters are just switching over to Sporting Clays the rest are slowly dieing off or stop shooting from old age. They are stopping faster than being replaced by the younger shooters. Thanks in part to the media and gov. more and more of the general population are starting to dislike guns, its not like it was in the 50's thur 70's. Also during this time most shooters wrote off the cost of shooting as a business expense. Their to meet new clients, drum up customers and so one. Shooters can no longer do this so this cut our numbers by over 50 percent or more in just a few short years. While the numbers of the youth program are good, the bottom line is that only a small number of them will come back after they all leave at 16 years old. They will have to pay full price after they come back so a few will shoot a few times after collage and never shoot again. We also loose several clubs every year for one reason or another, housing moved in to close to the club or club just fell for money reasons after the older shooters stopped going. We are not opening new clubs to keep up with the pace of loosing them. Bottom line is we all will be able to keep shooting for most of our lives, but will have to do more driving as clubs close. Our future economy will also play a big part. Break-em all. Jeff

10. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Trap no, but skeet has passed the knee of the curve, and is now dying a fast death, thanks in no part to the leaderships failure to realize the need to adapt to our fast moving society.

Trap IMHO is alive and well, however, the leaders and prominent shooters must adapt and protect against decline. My observation is that Trap, of the 3 sports is in the best long term situation.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Nuts, While I agree with you that Skeet is dieing faster than the others,I think that its not the leadership of the NSSA,NSCA that are now joined as one that is the blame (They own thier world clubs) Trap does not. Rather that Skeet shoots 5 guns (400-500 targets) over the course of both Sat. and Sun. (all day) at most shoots. People don't have the time to do this in today's busy world (or money). Sporting Clays are only 100 targets in morning have a nice lunch and hand out a few awards (shells) and they have most of afternoon open. Our Trap club has the shoot all day, Singles in morning, Lunch, than Handicap followed by doubles later, and the biggest problem is that most shooters want to shoot but do not have all day to hang around to shoot. To many other things to do. We just live in a busier world today, for better or worse. Remember have fun and enjoy your shooting. Break-em all. Jeff

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The shooting sports would do well to become "trendy" maybe by having a celebrity become involved, a movie about trapshooting, that kind of thing. Maybe have James Bond pick up secret messages at the traprange..messages embedded in a spent plastic wad? And shooting with some actress really well liked, say Sandra Bullock? I think all sports and activities are very expensive these days, but trapshooting is somewhat unknown to the general public...sorta like curling, autocross, that kinda thing. "We" need exposure because, imo, guns are not as common as "tools" these days, tools to harvest meat in a countryside environment. Guns, imo, are seen more and more as defensive items to be stashed away here and there or merely owned. My take, but I live in an urban environment. Others?

13. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Maybe this has been covered before. Look around at a registered shoot (Trap) and look at the average age of the shooters. Very low numbers of kids (under 18) and those in the 20, 30 age group. I am 45 and not too many shooters my age sometimes. I like the 1/2 price for kids. I have two kids that shoot. But not all shoots are 1/2 price for kids. I know they need to make money, but they also need kids to shoot to keep the sport alive. It disappoints me greatly when I have to pay full price for my boys. I pay for them to shoot and I sit out. Economics. I am afraid trap will slowly die. Money, time and tradition are areas lacking for many people. I am a hunter safety instructor and we had a class yesterday with a live fire session shooting paper targets. If any of you have assisted with a live fire session, you may realize how the shooting sports are in decline. Kids (12 and older) and adults in the class. Many have never shot a shotgun or a gun. Don't know how to mount,which eye to close or dominant eye,..... Everybody has to start somewhere, but many of these kids will not have a chance to further their shooting. Means and money the main problem. Like many, I grew up with a BB gun from a very early age. Knew how to mount, aim, ....... before 1st grade. Not many BB guns out there apparently. I also realize we are becoming more urban than rural. I fear our sport is in trouble. JMO

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

It's sad. Even growing up in an urban environment, we kids always had "projectile launchers" of some configuration; bb gun, pellet gun, slingshot, and home brewed blowguns. I am a bit too old to have made a potato gun that uses hairspray for a propellant, but must get around to that...

Heck, I had a relative, now passed, who shot trap with a Model 31 Remington in Shanghai China before WWII. To me, shooting always seemed so basic and borderline "nerdy" in some cases during my childhood.

I think kids today just have other experiences, needs, memories, and stuff that flips their switches..video games, cd's, mp3, i phone, computers. Of course this is simplistic, but I just see kids today as somehow less adventurous and more dependent upon adults organizing their "fun".

15. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Personally, for me, trapshooting is a dying sport. I hope to be shooting it till I die.

Gne J

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would be nice if the ATA would make Trap Tournements user friendly. That way they could attract more shooters and keep them coming back for more.

I remember my first ATA shoot. Started out in B class for singles. I shot a 96 and the fellow running the shoot said to me, we've put you in A class. Wow, an after the fact promotion. I was ready to give management a piece of my mind until I looked at the score board. Some sandbager had already shot a 100 in B class. So I just told them, thank you. HMB

17. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

I will probably shoot until I cannot pull the trigger any longer, but I am saddened by the prices of targets at the Grand (and yes, I do sorely miss Vandalia and still blame the ATA for not fixing their relationship problem) and just returned from Outdoor World and refused to pay $8.49 per box for premium trap loads. I a down economy the sport may well become out of reach - remember when it was a family sport?

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Trapshooting, frankly, has an image, deserved or not, of being cranky old men who whine about everything, are surly to newbies, and don't want anyone around but the "good ol' boys club" in which "I got mine and to hell with new blood in the sport". Whether this is true or not is immaterial. It is the image that too many people have and it needs to be corrected. (Dare I even go into the image trapshooters have with other gun owners?)<br>
    <br>
    Sporting clays on the other hand has a much more relaxed atmosphere. Where I shoot some older, experienced, trapshooters have stated they were tired with how serious trapshooting was, and just wanted to relax and banter with people. We can do that on the sporting clays line. And yes, it's a lot more fun for many people.<br.
    <br>
    I'm even had a hard time trying to train my kids for trap. No one on the trap line likes to be bothered with someone being coached. So we have to try to get a field to ourselves to train the kids. This isn't always easy to do. One time my son missed the first 15 or so targets in a row. I quietly mentioned to him that he was stopping the gun when he fired. That pissed off a bunch of the other shooters on the practice line, but I can't afford to have him shoot holes in the air. Trap is not a cheap sport.<br>
    <br>

19. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Brian wrote "Dare I even go into the image trapshooters have with other gun owners?"

Please do, I'm interested in hearing their opinion!

To the original poster, I don't expect trap will ever die completely, but it has reached its peak and everything from here on out will be a downslide.

~Michael

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Brian in Oregon

"One time my son missed the first 15 or so targets in a row. I quietly mentioned to him that he was stopping the gun when he fired. That pissed off a bunch of the other shooters on the practice line, but I can't afford to have him shoot holes in the air. Trap is not a cheap sport."

Brian all I can say to that is you probably paid the same money as they did for him to shoot. If this is the case tell them to go ---- in their hat. Almost every club that I have been to they post their prices to shoot a round of trap usually in dollar amounts. I have never to my recollection seen it posted as $$ plus the approval of the rest of the shooter or a sign that says no coaching.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting a dying sport