1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is trap way down in your area ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Goozer, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

When shot went to 40.00$ a bag I stopped shooting and sold my MEC 9000H in protest .
    Then started shooting cheap Remington Gun Clubs and when they went to 5.99 $ for a box of just twenty I quit shooting and said to myself , " I will not support this madness with my money ". I recently visited two of my favorite clubs here in Western PA where I shot their Trap leagues for many years and was shocked at how many shooters have quit . The one clubs winter league just 4-5 years ago had numbers that were around 120 shooters , and now below 50 . and the summer league below 40 shooters now . Are your leagues the same ? Is this the end ? I really new very few of the shooters and noted that there were alot of high end vehicles in the parking lot as compared to just a few short years ago .

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

You negative guys are the pits

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Let me get this right, you quit and want to know why numbers are down? Hmmmmmm

Did you quit driving when gas went up?

Did you quit eating when food went up?

4. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

Not really trying to be negative but just an informal poll . I know why I quit. But is it always economic ? Or maybe for the principle , or protest .
    One of the older guys was at the one club and he stated that alot of the guys are now golfing , have they taken their recreational money elsewhere out of disgust and protest ?

5. grntitan

Golf is not cheap by any means. The prices of Golf equipment and greens fees have risen over the last 20 years too.

Maybe we should all protest having fun. Your gonna die a lonely and bored person. Enjoy lifes finer things while your still able. I do not want to find myself laying in a hospital bed with weeks to live and wishing i'd done this or that.

6. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

I don't see the point to your questions. Did I stop driving when gas went up . No I have to drive to work to make money so I can eat food which is needed to avoid starvation . Trap shooting is not a life sustaining activity . I just realized why I only post on this forum every couple of years . It is difficult at times to get conversation going without attacks from certain people . I will not be back for another couple of years . Maybe this is the unfriendly manor in which many are driven off from shooting trap in the first place .

7. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

We in San Diego have lost our one ATA registered club, San Diego Shotgun Sports, better known as Miramar..so our shooting has declined. However, most of the ATA shooters have migrated to Redlands to shoot registered targets, two hr drive.....We are fortunate to have 4 priivate clubs and one other public range, but overall I think that the nbr of shooters have not declined, just more spread out over the area, we just don't see the out-of-towners anymore.......LarryB

8. grntitan

Attacks? No simple reasoning which i don't think you are understanding. You are protesting something that is not a cheap sport. Most sports are not that adults can participate in.

My point is your walking away in protest has changed nothing other than now your outside looking in. It will never get cheaper. Never. Its inflation amoung other things out of our control. Its not a cheap sport.

i hope you see where i'm coming from and change your mind. However, i'm doubting either will happen. Your mind is made up.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Trap in general is down in my area, but SCTP has stayed pretty stable. Sporting Clays is what is happening in my area gun clubs that offer it.

Nothing negative about it. If trap is not the center of your life, there ARE other ways to spend your discretionary income.

I am able to shoot clay targets when I want, but I also have other recreations.

I can ride my road bike (bicycle) 70 miles in about 5 hours, including stops, for about $5. I have at least as much fun doing this as shooting, if not more.

During the summer, when days are long, I can ride 100 miles in about 7 hours, including stops. This costs about $7.

Three nutrition bars, hydration mix, and I am good to go for a day's fun.

A balanced entertainment program and budget is not a bad thing.

I also enjoy rifle and handgun shooting, precision and vintage rifle, defensive drills and bullseye shooting with the handgun.

I stayed away from a club for two years because of people running it, and the way it was run. When they were finally forced out, I went back.

I vote with my pocketbook and my feet. When it ceases being fun, or starts to be a burden, it is time for a change.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Most of the Trap clubs around here are small one & two trap clubs. Membership and activity in these small clubs sort'a waxes & wanes, if the club has a few die-hards to keep it going thru' the lean times things never fail to pick up again eventually. Some people get involved with the sport because it's what's "happening", when these folks realize how much effort they're gonna' have to give it they tend to drift on to whatever other NEW thing is happening. All amateur sports are like that.

But to answer the question.......no Trap isn't way down in my area. Some clubs are down, at least one comes to mind that isn't going anymore. OTOH, some are thriving and others are just holding their own. Us old die-hards will continue to shoot.

John C. Saubak

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

YUP They are taking all of the pay and benifits from all of the RICH public sector employees.........it will be the death of trap shooting.......

GS

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Depends on the area whether shooters are down in numbers. Midwest to the east I would say overall percipitants are down. Midwest to Nevada probably about the same. California I would say shooting is down.
    If the monopoly on oil is continued to be controlled by the big oil companies then all shooting sports are on their way out.
    The momopoly on oil is finially stripping the economics away from the lower middleclass and the unemployed. As soo as gas reaches 4.00gal then things will level out for a yr or two while feelings settle down and begin to rise to 5 dollars over the next 2 yrs.The uppermiddle class will be reduced to poor and that will be the lucky side of economics for them. Think I'm wrong? I hope the hell I am but it is what is planned unless people will rise up in protest big time. Doubt that will happen. Ogagma and his regime laugh their ass off when he goes behing the curtain after his press conferences.
    In the last 6 years I hav't been wrong yet although I wish I was. Wild Bill

13. grntitan

I may be a jerk but is it really a discusion if all views are exactly alike? Its a forum and a public one at that. All views are welcome and encouraged. I stick with my guns. Walking away from an expensive sport because its expensive and then complaining because numbers seem low makes no sense.

Have fun with it fellas. Some of you guys that wear your feelings on your shoulders but yet engage in conversation on forums crack me up.....

You walked away fro the sport in protest and now your worried it may be the death of it. If your really worried start shooting again and encourgae your buddies to do the same.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I think the financal crisis and current economic uncertainy has many in "hunker down mode". Paying off debt has become important to people.

Overtime has been cut and unemployement is high in my area. Construction work is way down. Fuel and food prices have increased. Shot cost has tripled in 7 years.

Some guys have done well for themselves finacialy and are going to shoot regardless, Joe six pack has been effected.

Weather has been a factor this winter. As things get better more will come out to play.

15. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

Thanks for some good discussions . I think if I did start to shoot again I would look for good deals on loaded shells and just buy in quanity and forget the reloading . Trap was a social thing for me as well and alot of the friends and some real characters that made the sport fun have left . I know you can always make new friends .

16. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Goozer . . . Didn't you know you're supposed to get permission from certain individuals prior to posting your feelings on this site? LOL

BB

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Not way down, but certainly down. As trapshooting costs keep going up, cranky Club Geezers keep running the young shooters off to other shooting sports, and we keep allowing our public school teachers to brainwash our children that guns are evil, participation will continue to slowly erode.

So do what I do -- enjoy trap as much as you can, and take up less expensive hobbies the rest of the time. My boys and I can shoot .22s all day long for $20, or we can go on bike ride or a long trail hike, or do some woodworking for next to nothing. There are plenty of ways to have fun without spending much money.

-Gary

18. dhip

dhip Active Member

I think you might have come down on hin a little hard grn.

The way I read his post is he listed reasons he left,and was just wondering if the sport was losing interest.I guess you could say,trying to justify leaving the sport.I started a year ago,prices haven't went down since,especially Gas prices.I like shooting,it relaxes me compared to my Bass fishing.But i see in the future I may have to pick and choose some.I'll never be a Leo or TOP gun starting as late in life that I have,but I can still enjoy it.Everyones gotta analyze their situation and do what's best for them,keeping the fun in the sport should be priority.I sort of hope he realizes he could get back into the sport and moderately shoot and enjoy it again.Do it for fun,leaving the competition for the wanna be's and those trying to get to the top.

Doug H.

19. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Shot is still $20 per 25 pound bag at our club.

Don't know if the official number of shooters is down or not, but a lot of folks showed up all winter.

20. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Trapshooting isn't the only sport or club that's feeling the effects of less disposable money. Lodges like the Moose, Elks Club and others are experiencing less involvement in activities and in membership. The local theaters are in declining attendance.

These are all activities that are enjoyed with disposable income. When we recover from this recession things will pick up again. Maybe not to previous extents but still up from what they are now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.