1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is trap popular around the world?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by berettaman7, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

While discussing target shooting with a Paraguayan friend I told him that the clay target shooting discipline with the most competitors in the world is American Trap. He disputes this allegation which I base on the number of people that participate at the Grand and at the hundreds of events shot every year by ATA & PITA clubs in the US and Canada, and lets not forget Australia.

Fellow trap shooter, what is your opinion?

Berettaman7

2. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I could be wrong, but it is my impression that we are the only ones who shoot ATA, or American Trap. Everyone else shoots Olympic or International.
    -Trappy

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There are what 35,000+ ATA members? Seems to be a rather small percentage of clay target shooters around the world.

Eric

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Of the over 300 countries in the world, in probably 75% of them NOBODY shoots clay pigeons! Just a few of the bigger countries, some of the same ones that send someone to the olympics. With the ATA we probably have way more than any other country, or group of countries have International shooters. The WHOLE rest of the world against us, it might be somewhat close.

A trapshooter I know from Finland, said that in most european countries, since the European Union took over, 90% of the small trap clubs have closed and shooting and reloading cost have gone up to rediculous levels. Italy is one exception.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Many variations of the game, my guess by sheer number of shooters American Trap has a slight edge. Hard to prove either way

6. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Bruce:

You took the words right out of my mouth, I was about to say that too, just by sheer numbers Trap shooters have an edge. I dont see but a few hundred of clay shooters in Mexico and south america, and probably a few thousand in the UK & Europe compared to the thousands which shoot trap in the US.

Berettaman7

7. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Other clay sports may be popular in other countries but they do not match up with the number of us which shoot trap in Canada and the U.S.

Berettaman7

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

The New Zealand Clay Target Assn. has about 3500 members. 3000 or so shoot mainly trap (on the understanding that over here 'trap' is defined as ATA targets but we get 2 shots at them), 200 or so shoot mainly skeet, 300 or so shoot mainly sporting, we have maybe 25 ATA shooters, and 20 Olympic discipline shooters. *Be advised that these numbers are estimates only. Kind Regards-Graham.

9. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Thanks for the input Graham.

Berettaman7

10. webley

webley TS Member

Berettaman,

I think you’ll find there’s more than your estimate of a "few thousand" clay shooters in the UK & Europe.

The English ‘Clay Pigeon Shooting Association’ (CPSA) has 25,000 members – add to that several thousand members of the Scottish Clay Target Association (SCTA). The CPSA & SCTA cover all forms of clay shooting.

However - the majority of casual or even reasonably regular UK clay shooters are not members of either of these associations.

To give you an guide as to how many potential clay shooters there are - everyone in the UK has to have a ‘Shotgun Certificate’ in order to own a shotguns. In 2005 the total number of shotgun certificates current in the UK was 569,948 (which covered about 1.4 million shotguns).

A lot of people who have a shotgun don’t do any clay shooting of course but if about 20% attend a clay shoot once a month then there’s over 100,000 regular participants. There aren’t a lot of really big events aside from the various British Championships, but there’s still a good number of small clay shoots held each weekend - which is where most people shoot.

In the UK the most popular type of clay shooting is sporting clays with trap & skeet coming in second & third. I don't know the percentages involved.

For comparison, the ‘British Association of Shooting & Conservation’ (BASC) has over 127,000 members (some of whom are also CPSA or SCTA members). BASC covers shooters interested in live game, wildfowl shooting & deer stalking etc.

Dognduck,
    If by “bunker” you mean ‘Olympic Trap’ - then it generally costs the same per round as 25 DTL but you may get through more second barrel shots of course.

Regards

Russell

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I travel extensively for work - much time spent in Europe. Anywhere I go I try to make contacts for shooting.

By far and away the most common form of target shooting is International/Olympic/Bunker trap. Most people in other countries do not know what 'American Trap' really is.

Next would be some form of 'sporting clays.' - I include five stand and FITASC under this heading.

David D

12. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I travel a lot for work too. All over the world and there are very few countries I haven't visited. When I get stuck over the weekend, the first thing I do is look for a trap or skeet club. I've shot in almost every country I've ever visited and that's a LOT of countries.

From my experience, I'd say clay targets are shot in almost Every country.

Very few shoot ATA style trap or American Skeet. The vast majority shoot the international or Olympic Style Trap, skeet, sporting clays and FITASC. Check out the ISSF (International Sports Shooting Federation) (WWW.issf-sports/org.) You can watch Video of our own Glenn Eller who won the Gold in the Olympics in Beijing in Men's Doubles Trap or Phenom Vince Hancock who won the Gold in Men's Skeet.

The one thing that is the same, is that Shooters in general are some of the nicest people EVERYWHERE! Wherever I've shot, I've been offered the use of all sorts of guns, from the very least expensive to some extremely high end ones too. I've been asked to join other shooters for breakfast, lunch, dinner, happy hour etc... I'm always amazed at the hospitality!

Shoot well and often,

13. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Well it seems that there are tens of thousand thousands of clay shooters in the world, that trap is not known in many countries and yet the Grand draws the highest number of shooters in any shooting sport in the world for American trap.

Berettaman7

14. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Well it seems that there are tens of thousand thousands of clay shooters in the world, that trap is not known in many countries and yet the Grand draws the highest number of shooters in any shooting sport in the world for American trap.

Berettaman7

15. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Berettaman7

16. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Berettaman7

17. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Berettaman7

18. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Berettaman7

19. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Berettaman7

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I still maintain that just in sheer numbers American Trap is shoot more thatn any other clay target game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.