1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IS THIS TRUE?????????????????????????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello:
    i was talking to a few guys out at the gun club and the subject of reloading came up. i asked what powder do they use in their reloads? two guys said green dot, another one said pb. one guy who uses green dot said, are you rich that you can afford to use pb? the guy said in his opinion, pb is the best gun powder sold. he said if pb is good enough to be used in our big guns on our battle ships, it should certainly be good enough for trapshooting. is this true? also is pb the most expensive gun powder for trapshooting reloads?
    steve balistreri

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I can tell you that in handgun loads, if you load light with PB you get lots of little yellow transparent donuts in the bore, which is the cellulouse carrier in the powder. A hotter load consumes these carriers, but a light load won't.

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

If it's good enough for a battleship, it should be plenty good for you. Unfortunately, there haven't been any battleships in service for a long time since they were all retired. Try not to be so gullible- just bite the hook but don't swallow it.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

USs Missouri Decommissioned March 31, 1992. The last one.

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I also have heard the PB has been used in military ammunition for years. Although I don’t know precisely what gunpowder is used in the big guns on ships, I doubt that PB would have ever been used in that application.

One thing I do know through personal experience, PB powder is the cleanest burning and with a burn rate very similar to green-dot, of any of the powders I have used. The clean burning part is very important to those of us that simply refuse to retire our old Remington 1100’s and other gas operated semi-auto‘s.

But alas, because of the price and since PB takes a few more grains of powder for the same load, I am now using green-dot. It is cleaner burning than it was a few years ago and until someone can show me a load that I like better than the one I am using, Looks like Green-dot for me.

6. grammie

grammie TS Member

To fire a 16 inch diameter 2,000lb projectile such as what came from the Battleship Missouri,,requires 3 90lb black powder charges,,depending on the distance needed,,Not PB....

AKA Grammie..........

7. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Its a shame to see those grand ships disappear and be silent. Those guns were a site to see when they went off. Missiles just don't have the same look.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It is still in MHO the best handicap powder out there. Speed and no recoil.

Don

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Powder for our Armed Forces is made at the Radford Army Ammunition Depot operated by Alliant. None of it is PB and none of it is black powder as posted above. This plant is the only one left in the USA that makes powder for our Armed Forces. About 4 years ago, some powder for our Armed Forces was imported from Canada but I believe that contract has expired.

Pat Ireland

10. atashooter

atashooter Member

JUST kiddin...

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

they used to say IMR 4831 was used in the big guns during ww 2.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I seriously doubt that PB was ever used for the big cannons.

PB is a single base powder and I have found it to perform very well, except at very low temperatures. It needs to be loaded to moderately high pressures in very cold weather to perform consistently. I used it for many years, but as others have done, I now use a different powder for my handicap loads. It's mostly a "cost" factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.