1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this true shotgun experts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I read that a 3 1/2" gun will pattern 2 3/4"shells really well because of the longer chamber, Is this nonsense?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but, I do not see the topdogs in any sport doing such. I think that says something ...

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I would say it's rubbish and would like to read the article, and see who the author is. Do you have a link?

Wayne

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I always thought it's the barrel and the choke that defines the pattern.

Eric

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sounds like typical magazine writer speculation.

Only one way to know, and that is to test it. Did they test it against an identical barrel with a shorter chamber?

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

They use to say the same thing about 3" guns before the 3.5" was made. Most likely the scribe writing the article had never patterend any gun in his life and possibly just overheard at some convention two other scribes discussing topic.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Ah-oh! I see the next trap gun selling fad. Now trap guns will be coming out with 3.5 inch chambers.

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I ahve speculated that there is some merit to this for several years but don't have enough different barrles i have tested. But i will say the best patterning barrel i have is a 3" chambered 32" 303 barrel. My reservation to it is that all 390 and 391's have 3" chambers and this one 303 barrel patterens better than any of them i have shot. My guess has been that every barrel is different.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A friend and a great gunsmith took a 10 ga. SxS and sleeved it to 12 Ga. with the sleeves extending about 14 inches up the barrels. He patterned it with non-toxic shot and got well over 90% patterns. What he had achieved was an overbore condition which most shooters believe adds to pattern density.

This is anecdotal and not scientific.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bad303, I have a 2-3/4 32" 303 barrel that shoots the best pattern at 45 yards of any shotgun I have. I recently acquired a Stan Baker BB barrel with one choke tube, a .760 but I haven't worked it over yet on a pattern board or even shot it yet. That is .40 thousandths of choke! I'm thinking I may need to find a choke tube a tad larger like .775 or so? Any ideas where to look for one? Thanks.

I don't think shotgun barrels pay much attention to chamber lengths or bores size or anything else for that matter. Some that numbers say shouldn't shoot good do, and others that numbers say should, don't!! That only leaves barrel metal harmonics in what it likes going down the tube? I don't think anyone knows for sure!!

Hap

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

My Perazzi MX 14 O/U barrels came with 3" chambers... Regards, Ed

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The number of fliers in a shotgun pattern is inversely proportional to the length of the chamber. We learned that in eighth grade, weren't you paying attention. HMB

13. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Just wondered if he was on to something or just being a writer

14. SuperMotard

SuperMotard Member

Randy wakeman?? just curious...

15. millerm12

millerm12 Member

im not sure if the chamber lenth has anything to do with it but i do know that the larger bore diameters do produce a denser pattern with less restriction.i had a 780 bore that had a better pattern with just .015 choke than some other guns with much more choke.this barrel was also a 3' barrel.i know alot of guys lenthen the forcing cones on there trap guns but mostly ive heard to reduce kick not for pattern improvement.but im sure this reduces the amount of restriction on the shot entering the barrel and for that reason there may be some merit to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.