1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this the new PC way to treat children???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I sure hope not...

Cop Tases 10-Year-Old Girl

Arkansas mother suggested stun gun treatment for unruly daughter

NOVEMBER 18--An Arkansas cop tasered an unruly 10-year-old girl after her mother called police to report that the child was crying, screaming, and refusing to go to bed. The tased girl, Kiara Medlock, is about 65 pounds and 4' 6", according to her father. Anthony Medlock, a truck driver who does not live with the fifth grader and her mother, provided TSG with a recent photo of his daughter, which can be seen at right. According to the below Ozark Police Department report, when Officer Dustin Bradshaw arrived at the residence last Thursday, he found the girl "screaming, kicking, and resisting every time her mother tried to touch her." Bradshaw added that, "Her mother told me to tase her if I needed to." After Kiara continued to refuse her mother's instructions, the cop concluded that "there was not going to be a peaceful resolution of the issue."

Bradshaw warned the girl that she was "going to jail," but the child continued kicking and crying and resisted his attempt to handcuff her. During the tussle, Kiara "struck me with her legs and feet in the groin, reported Bradshaw, who countered with a brief "stun to her back" with his Taser. The child, not surprisingly, "immediately stopped resisting and was placed into handcuffs. She would not walk on her own and I had to carry her to my police car." Kiara was then transported to a youth shelter. (1 page)

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would have taken the mother in not the kid. How dare she call the cops to take care of her problem. Second if I was the police chief I would fire the officer for tasing the kid. If he can't handle a kid then he can't handle a adult suspect. This whole thing went way to far.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Unspoils a spoiled brat! LOL

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Razor strap.

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

This is how it is handled in today's liberal schools. They can't spank them. But they can and do call the cops to come and take them away when they become so unruly they can't control them. The feminization of our culture. I remember the libs saying that spanking kids causes them to be more violent. Funny thing though, I don't remember kids bringing guns to school and wiping out their classmates when I was young. There is more violence now. I don't see how anyone is stupid enough to be a liberal when they are wrong on every issue.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I note the father doesn't live with the mother and child.........this is where that leads all too often these days, mama can't handle the kid anymore and there's no daddy in the home to provide discipline so the kid learns he/she can get away with ANYTHING.......eventually society has to deal with it. So, what's the cop supposed to do? The kid's gonna' have to learn sometime from SOMEBODY that actions have consequenses.

John C. Saubak

7. M-16

M-16 TS Member

As a Military Policemen for 22 years. We are only hearing one side of the story. though I do agree it appears the policemen over reacted, but why was he even called. Parent's try to be their kids friends instead of parents. I want my kids to respect me for doing whats right not be there buddy

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The courts have taken the parents ability to disipline their kids away from them and this is what you end up with ... The Cop was wrong but if the Mother would of laid a hand on the kid she would of been whisked off to jail and charged with abuse ... I have a problem with some people telling me how to raise and disipline my kids when they might not even have any of their own to deal with ... This got out of hand but at least he or she didn't shoot the kid with the Glock so she will live to be a little brat another day ... I will bet next time she see's a Taser being pointed at her it won't have to be used to get the point across ... Some kids are a little harder to train than others and sometimes extreme measures are needed to get their attention ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I was shocked when I learned how kids behave in today's inner city schools. When my daughter first began teaching in elementary school, she asked one of the other teachers what would become of these kids in high school if they were already out of control in elementary school. She was told not to worry about it, they will drop out before they finish high school. The statistics support that. Some of these kids don't respect anyone. They are not fit to go on to finish high school and they are not employable. Problems that would have been fixed in one morning when I was young now drag out all year. I remember fear of being sent to the principle's office. I remember the fear of being spanked by the men teachers. You learn respect when you are young, or you don't. The future of these kids is easy to predict. The girls will get pregnant when they are young and live off the government. The boys will go to prison and live off the government.

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Many people in recent generations have no problem solving skills and as a consequence neither do their children. Example, an argument ensues between significant others. Unable to arrive at an amicable agreement, the argument escalates to pushing and shoving, solution? Call the police because one or both parties can't agree to disagree. Result, someone goes to jail and the problems multiply from there. Of course if kids are present new lessons are learned. One of my sons tested the knowledge gained from his teachers and peer's years ago when after back talking me he suddenly lost his footing. He told me he was going to call child protection. I tossed him the telephone but warned him to pack his belongings first, because the door only swung one way and he wouldn't be coming back. Funny thing, the call was never made and I actually got an unsolicited apology. For the liberals who will certainly read this, he was merely shoved onto the couch and was being verbally chastised for his behavior.

Robert

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Butting in, I respectfully suggest that not enough information is known here. The girl could have been emotionally disturbed, and yes, sometimes an ED child can inflict harm on a parent or adult unless one is very careful. A child that much out of control needs a psychiatric evaluation; many causes could be involved, including an endrocrine imbalance that is driving the child to serious despair. We just don't know based upon only what we have read here.

I do feel the policeman was wrong in tasering the child based upon what is read here; there are other ways. Believe me, as a 36 year school district employee, retired, some kids can hurt one if one is not careful. I remember a case, for example, of a 110 lb. 6th grade, distrubed boy, throwing a huge scissors at another kid..out of the blue. The scissors, a 10 inch kind, stuck in the wall. He was "mad" because it was "too hot" in the room. I and one other had to subdue him carefully (mean hold him to the floor until his parent arrived) because he wanted to engage in more mayhem. He tried to bite, break fingers, scream, spit, all manner of mayhem. We had to be careful not to hurt him, yet restrain him. The disposition, among other things, later on, was a parent furious that "we were trying to kill him doing what we did"....

She was serious, her son was trying to inflict bodily harm with anything towards anybody given a chance.

So..my point: Some kids are just too out of control sometimes. Secondly, tasering sounds a bit much and inappropriate. But calling a third party to handle it, e.g., a non-parent, a non-teacher, etc. is unfortunately, sometimes mandated.

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

From a close friend who's a guidence counselor at a local middle school. "Many parents lash out at teachers etc, because an unruly child makes the parent look bad. It's not about the child it's about the parents perception of how they look to others."

Eric

13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

About 2 years ago a similar situation happened in S. Fla. at a school the STATE owned media reported that a cop tased a defenseless grade school aged kid in the principals office. What didn't make the headlines was that the little monster held a piece of broken glass to his own throat and was threatening to kill himself. I wasn't there but it seems to me the cop potentially saved the kids life. I'm not a cop but I thank God each and every day for the ones I know and the difficult job they have with little or no praise!! Just my $.02

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

If you can't whip them tase them. They should issue one to each teacher. "Don't tase me Bro". But I thought it was funny when the old lady that wouldn't follow the policeman's orders was tased. I don't understand why some people think they are above the law. I do have a sick side though. I like it when burglars get shot and when police rough up someone after leading them on a chase going 100 miles an hour through intersections. I don't understand how cops take all the abuse that criminals give them.

15. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

They need to sell tasers at Wall-Mart. There are plenty of customers,young and old who could use it.

16. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Wish I had had a taser 35 years ago.

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Fresh batteries in a cattle prod would work

18. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Up for highflyer's post;

"I remember the libs saying that spanking kids causes them to be more violent. Funny thing though, I don't remember kids bringing guns to school and wiping out their classmates when I was young. There is more violence now. I don't see how anyone is stupid enough to be a liberal when they are wrong on every issue."

Well said, especially the last sentence.

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

WPT, you are correct on the mom probably being arrested if she laid a hand on the kid. I see too many parents being charged with battery and too many social service, gonna save the world types stepping in and preventing a parent from disciplining the child the old fashioned way. Funny thing is, you have republican and democrat prosecutors and judges willing to charge and find parents guilt of battery or easily willing to place kids in foster care, simply because a parent gave the kid what they deserved.

I will at admit most social service workers appear to be the dumbest most liberal people that I have ever met. The worst thing of all is that kids know they can call social services or the cops and pretty much get their way.

The parent should have just zapped the kid with a cattle prod a couple of times and disposed of the evidence outside the view of the cop.

John E.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The violence issue/thing is, in my opinion, a bit misunderstood. Childen need limits, and sometimes physical punishment is perfectly acceptable in MY opinion. However, non-contingent punishment, or outright physical abuse is not and will usually create a violent individual. Physical punishment alone, is, in MY opinion no more likely to create a violent person than is verbal abuse. Abuse is abuse, contingencies are contingencies, and many have forgotten the difference. Children need clear limits. Sometimes mere verbal direction is not enough. But being hit for any and everything will make an individual likely to be violent and/or a bully. Therein is, what I feel, is an overlooked difference. Children who do not know clear limits, or do not think there are real limits, often become anxious and have difficulties with control and understanding right from wrong.

Mixer is right on about some parents. I remember cases of many "low life" and abusive parents lashing out at the school because within the public school setting, the parents had at least some control and "power" over others...gave 'em a feeling of self worth in their meager existences. I used to cringe being verbally beat upon, somewhat, by some lowlife welfare system exploiter and druggie etc. And, of course, some parents that had perfectly respectable positions in the community would also unfairly "beat up" upon the school staff simply because they could, and, I surmise, they liked having the power and control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.