1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this still a record payout? 1979 Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K005, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K005

K005 Member

That's quite a payout. Is it still the largest single payout. In today's dollar it would be approximately $90,000. I hope the image posts OK. In case it doesn't, the American Shotgunner article talks about Don Slavich winning $27,000 in the 1979 Grand Preliminary Handicap. Bob Thurston did a terrific job of interviewing shooters when the magazine was in publication. Bob K. 5719005

2. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Doing some quick math, in 1981 one of the 99's took home over $32,000 and 1980 over $28,000. In 1982 3-100's paid $17,535 each in the high gun purse.

3. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

In 1989 I got just a couple of hundred shy of 30K for the prlininary handicap. Payed for a new Dodge pick up and had a lot left over over. Brad

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

1986 GAH top money totaled a few bucks shy of $32K.

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

With a duck gun too Mr E.

$ gets spent, but you still have the ring and your name in the book.

6. Robb

Robb Member

Brad, Was that for a 99 missing on the last field? Was it a right angle that went towards a big jet warming his engines?

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Brad, All,
    In my opinion, a major reason for these payouts was due to The Rose Point Purse. I won over $350 for a 95 from the 23 about this time and another year won $100 for a 92 from the 27. I would propose that a payoff to lower scores caused alot more people to play the purse. This purse paid a percentage to each yardage (think it was 90% to yardage and 10% to overall) and the balance to the overall. As I recall, top score got 9 points each succeding score received 1 less point. If there were 10 100's each 100 received more $$$ than what a single 99 would win. This system was discontinued many years back but continued to be explained in The Grand Program until just a couple of years ago.

8. K005

K005 Member

Thanks for the updates. Those were hefty payouts, too bad we'll most likely never see those again. Unless we can get the average shooter playing purses again. I'm hijacking my own thread. Why not small compulsory purses at the Grand or other shoots? I think Brad and someone else had a good idea: no automatic punches for 96 or 97's. No punches for small shoots. What happens too often, a shooter gets a hot streak, and earns a few yards and is then handicapped too far back. By making punches harder to earn, shooter could get more proficient at their new yardage. Scores go up, higher average, more likely to play purses = bigger purse. Bob K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.