1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this sandbagging?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimbotrap, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Anything that might allow to win, in place of the more prominent shooters, would be considered sandbagging. - Jim

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

DB Bill has a great point. If you always always shoot the rig, have at it. If you suddenly discover a better barrel just in time for a big shoot - you are sandbagging.

3. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Piddie, I think it would be a darn good way to practice. I do it all the time. Shoot em at everything short, hard shot and 7/8 makes for nice tight patterns, not quite soccer ball tight, more like 18 to 24 inches tho. No not sandbagging just shooting the legal load of your choice.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob Dodd has shot those loads for a long time. He's broken several 100 straights at the 16s with them too. If he had to shoot 1-1/8 ounces he'd prolly hafta quit after a couple rounds. No, he ain't a sandbagger either! Hap

5. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

DB

so you are saying that if you shoot a taped up 1100... you are a sandbagger???

guess that makes me a SANDBAGGER then. Mine 1100 is taped up, homemade butt plate, the wood does not match and parts from about 4 guns... but ask anybody that has seen me shoot it if i am a sandbagger

Dennis Whitlock

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I think there are people here who are thin skinned and or stupid. A question was asked and was responded to. To jump in the middle is a silly thing to do.

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

Actually,,,,,that is the way you should be learning to trapshoot!!! Not chipping,,,but hammering!!!

Shooting with that load will make you a better shooter!!!!

AKA Grammie...........

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sandbagging is not as dependent on what ones does as it is on why he does it. If I were to elect to shoot a 28 ga at doubles just for fun, it might not be sandbagging. If I were to shoot a 28 ga at doubles to learn how to keep my head down and work hard without breaking a good score and increasing my doubles average, that would be sandbagging.

Sandbagging involves the intent of the shooter.

Pat Ireland

9. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

common guys, sandbagging is just what it is. intentionally sooting poor scores at registered targets to get your average low, and shooting your good scores (shooting your best ability) at the big shoots in an attempt to win money, special recognition or what ever. and there are some with the abality to do just that. shoot the handicaps and intentionally not shoot over a 95 to stay away from a punch, thats sandbaggign
    bob

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Your pattern will be larger than a soccerball. Not sandbagging

11. Hap MecTweaks

There's a way to separate target managers/score manipulating "sandbaggers" from people who just might happen to have a hot day. There's bound to be someone at the bigger attended shoots have that happen.

The key is to look for the pattern of persons only having those "hot days" at major shoots. No one is in position to keep track of that except those that keep accurate records! Clubs and individuals certainly can't keep track of those shooters, they don't have enough accurate information to base any such judgments on. Perennial winners at the major shoots, with low yearly scores, is the place to look. The only place that information is available is in the ATA data files. Hammering everyone with "new" rules to get at those cheaters is a cop-out, laziness or a combination of reasons? Thats the way I see sandbagging with a possible fix but I don't look for any real changes in the near future either. Hap

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- What you suggested is frequently done at many shoots. In a commonly used program, typing the shooters number in and hitting the F3 key, you can review the three year history scores. Each club where the score was shot is identified by a code. This is routinely done for each winner each day.

I have done this many times and I am pleased to report that sandbagging is not the common problem that many believe it is. When a problem is exposed, it is quickly brought to the attention of the CHC and adjustments are made. The computer disks that provide this information are widely available. I believe that any ATA member can obtain one, I know they are at least available to each delegate.

Pat Ireland

13. Hap MecTweaks

Pat, if sandbagging ain't the problem many think it is, how did the "punch for money" rule come about and why? With a lot of clubs having an option on many ways of breaking a 50 which could amount to enough to get punched, I question why? Hammering every shooter to get at someone that doesn't exist don't make sense either. Isn't there two different circumstances where punch for money amount is dependent on how much money is won? One yard for 750, one and a half yards for 1250? Bad rule my friend, especially if theres no problems hardly at all as you stated and I believe you.

How many times do we hear complaints of certain shooters always winning lower class trophy's at big shoots or state shoots? If one instance of that is true, thats not fair to the other shooters who are classed correctly in my view. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.