1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this rust or oil?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I looked at a beretta 686 onyx field gun at a local shop today. It has very few rounds through it. When inspecting it and cleaning it with a rag with light oil, a slight dark brown substance would come off with the rag, especially in the seams between the barrel. No pitting that I can see. Could this be packing grease?

2. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

yes or some other crap the previous guy slapped on it.
    probably mixed with dirt as it would pick up in the field.

3. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds very similar to a very lightly used 390 I bought earlier this year. There was a dark brown substance on the barrel in a couple of places where the rib is attached. At first look, it looked a lot like rust. I wiped down the barrel with Hoppes and the substance came off. The gun has seen a lot of use since then, in all kinds of weather, and the substance has not returned.

Brad

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Just bought a 1972 BT-99 in really good shape. Not shot much. Still had the original Lithium white grease on the receiver and the brown packing grease you describe in and on the barrel. You could tell it had been there for forty years as it was real hard and gummy, and tough to get off.

5. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

It most certainly is the beginnings of more serious rust. It is a common occurrence with firearms especially as you describe the location. That is why a good wipe down every week or so is a good idea.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They all have it, just clean it and it will be fine

7. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Rich:

Hard to say without looking at it up close. Could be rust, but most likely residue from from past cleaning solvents or even factory packing grease that the original owner didn't get cleaned off. If it came off as easy as you described, I doubt if it's rust....cya

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Can you pull it off the gun with a magnet without actually touching the grease?

9. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Might be dried WD-40. Mike

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

It is a preservative that is applied at the factory. It just wasn't all cleaned off by the previous owner. I have found it on all of the new Berettas I have owned.

11. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I had the same issue on Saturday. I have an unfired 686 Onyx Ducks Unlimited model. I was wiping it down and generally admiring it for going shooting on Sunday and found all kinds of dark brown goop in it and on it. It was obviously some oil that they put in it. I found the most in the forend iron where it latches onto the barrel. I cleaned it out and reapplied the Beretta oil that comes in the case. I made a note to check it for the brown stuff later. I have no rust or marks on the gun at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.