1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

In firing a new rifle while using Remington Subsonic shells, it would sound something like a cap gun and the hulls would look like they have blow by markings. The rifle shot OK as by looking at some 25 yard targets off of a poor shaky rest. Any thoughts as to what could cause this?
    biff_2008_030392.jpg

biff_2008_030393.jpg

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Normal with some low powered/low pressure rounds. Not enough pressure to expand the case to seal the chamber and subsonic rounds would also be quiet. If accuracy is good, nothing to worry about.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Looks to me that you were off the bull just a bit. Married life does that to you.

Don

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I shoot these almost exclusively and only see the blowby smudging in my 10/22 Ruger. All my .22s are bolt actions. Must be a combination of that and what Quack Shot said.

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

quack shot is correct,plus the chamber might be a little larger than specs..........just a thought.
    Smoke 'em all

6. biff

biff Active Member

Don, The only drawback to being married is that I have gotten fat and gained 12 pounds since since Jan. 1st. All that good eating and having my food brought to me on a silver platter! Back rubs, foot rubs,clean and pressed clothes, sweets plus being handed a fresh opened beer! I tell you it is rough....why didn't someone warn me. Now I am wondering if my trapgun still fits, I'm so fat right now it's hard to open my eyes!

Now as far as those hulls, I will try some higher velocity 22 ammo and get back with you, Quackshot may be right! Biff

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

If you're newly married and gaining weight, you're doing something wrong. LOL!
    I went from 191 to 179 in 30 days.

Buz

8. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

Did you say you were married or dreaming??? I guess I need to trade my .44 for a pair of .22's. It sounds like you have a great partner there. Treat her well

9. biff

biff Active Member

Ah Boys! Marriage is great! Don't know why I waited so long, now if I could only teach her some reloading skills!!!

I shot some higher velocity shells and the blowby was less, still there but less. The gun shoots great, so it's a keeper....like my wife!
    Biff

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Lets have this conversation 10 years from now...

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Years ago Ponsness Warren came out with a pedal operated system for their loaders...I tried to convince my wife it was an exercise bike. That was a serious mistake on a number of counts!

Keep your mouth shut, remember birthdays and anniversaries, learn the six words that insure a long and happy marriage... "Yes, Dear - I'm Sorry & You're right". Keeping a new Mercedes in the driveway for her to drive won't hurt either!

This is normal...

Bob

12. biff

biff Active Member

Bob, I am a trapshooter and as you know it is hard to afford two hobbies, best I could do for my beautiful bride is a Lexus. This will have to do till I can win a big pile of it at the Grand this summer, at least that's what I promised her......maybe a Mercedes with those winnings! She is certainly worth all the love and worship I can bestow as you can see in the picture.
    biff_2008_030394.jpg

Mike at the pace my life is travelling, I'll be lucky to last for 10 more years! You got to remember it's the journey, not the destination....that's what keeps me going! Biff

13. burtona

burtona Member

Semi auto 22,s like the 10/22 typically have looser chambers than bolt guns and you will see the blow by with those shells since they don't have the pressure to seal the chamber as someone else stated. Just shoot and enjoy!
    Dave Burton

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you are happily married you are in a select minority. Be very thankful and keep working hard to maintain it.

50% of first marriages end in divorce. Of those that do not, most are not "happy" but stay together for appearances, the kids, health insurance, economic factors, etc etc.

65% of second marriages fail - showing us we do not learn from history and are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

Don Verna

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Married my college sweetheart 38 years ago this summer...I love her and truly enjoy being married. One does, however, have to maintain a sense of humor!

Bob

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Bob:

Your description sounds a lot like me with one exception. My bride and I are short timers. Mrs. sissy and I will celebrate 35 years of 'happily married' in July.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.