1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IS THIS LEGAL???????????????????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i just got off the phone with my sister in law. she works for an area hospital and she has her familY's health insurance with them. around a year ago they wanted to know if the employee's spouse was working, and eligilble to take out his own medical insurance through his own employer. if he could do that and wanted to be on his wife's insurance he had to pay a surcharge of roughly $72.00 per check. today all the employees where she works got a letter stating that the hospital hired a company to audit every employee who takes out their insurance. they demand a copy of the marriage certificate, a copy of the birth certicate of everyone on your insurance plan, the first page copied of your 2008 federal tax return. if you have college aged children on your policy, they want to see proof that each student is actually in college. if you do not comply within 1 month time frame they have given the employee,they will be immediately dropped from your insurance plan. if you refuse to give this documentaion they will remove all people from your insurance except the employee.
    LEGALLY, CAN A COMPANY DO THIS, and invade your privacy like this? who really knows where all this info is really going to, and who will be looking at this?

steve balistreri

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Steve yes they can. They are on the hook for any expense of an insured. Just like your car insurance. Insurers have a right to have information about the people that they are covering.

3. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

My wife's fortune 500 company that she works for just sent her the same type of forms to fill out.

Arnie

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

ACLU might not like demands for Marriage Certificates.Other vital information should not be a problem.

In the past, many have collected from 2 insurance companies for the same claim. So in a way we brought it on ourself.

But I still hate the bastards. (too many bad experiences)

HM

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Senior, all they are trying to do is confirm that the people whose premiums they are paying are actually eligible. They should not be paying for liars, cheats and thieves who are trying to get cut rate insurance at someone else's expense. What is not legal is lying to get insurance for which you are not eligible. That is called fraud. Why is it that companies are so bad when they stop employees from stealing from them? The paperwork costs them, they do not do it for fun.

Mike

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

my employer automatically becomes secondary provider if the spouse has refused her employers insurance. this in effect gives her no coverage if she refused her employers insurance. when both cover it coordines benefits..

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

This is an excellant example of how a lot of uneducated people think. I'm not saying Senior is stupid or literally uneducated, but he was not informed of the current national insurance system or laws. Way too many people in this country think health care is a "right", when actually it is a "benefit". It is an expensive benefit. One that the Dems are trying to make a "right". Look at the abuse and fraud in health care now, and think what it will be like with national health care, let alone the loss of service and attention you get now from your provider. I have a friend in Cananda whose wife had heart problems. 6 months to get an MRI. He pays 58% taxes. Does not trust his doctors. Sent his wife to Detroit for treatment @ $100,000 out of his pocket. At least she's still alive today after some great treatment. What has the government ever managed properly??????

8. senior smoke

when i first started working i received health insurance for my family at zero cost to me. a few years later management asked for a premium from the employee to pay $25.00 per mo. the employees that i worked with including myself almost quit. i miss those days.
    steve balistreri

9. NintyT

NintyT Member

Steve,

I understand your concern. It seems to me that the insurance that your relative pays for is a "benefit of employment". (yes, an expensive one) So as you describe, because her husband works, and probably could purchase his own insurance, the wife is denied the benefit that the married man or woman working next to her gets, if the spouse is a stay at home type.

I have a problem with that, but I suspect this idea will spread across the country like wildfire.

Steve J

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

my insuranse agent told me that to have a groupe policy for my shop I'm only required to provide for a half the cost of the direct employee.

tony

11. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

When we had our first child they needed to know that we were married for a at least 1 year or the kid was not covered.

Now it does not matter if they are married or the same sex.

Rock

JIm

12. CATdiesel

CATdiesel TS Member

You guys are right, it is a benefit of employment. Here were I work we have a $95 surcharge for our spouse if they want to be covered and refuse their own insurance. We are also told that we will have a child surcharge in the near future. From what I understand it goes like this. You have insurance through your employer and your spouse has insurance through their employer and whichever ones birthday is first in the calender year must take the children under their policy.

My wifes birthday is in January and mine is in Febuary, so she would have to take the kids on her policy. My current policy has myself and my kids and it covers everything 100% with only a $500 deductible. My wifes policy is only an 80/20 with a $1500 deductible for her alone. Hers with the kids would still be an 80/20 but with a $3500 deductible and not near the coverage that they get with my policy. I understand the spouse surcharge, but the child surcharge really rubs me wrong. Why should my kids health care be treated like this? Why shouldn't the kids be able to get the best no matter which persons birthday comes first?

Jason

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

What's interesting is what the Ins companies cannot do. For example, AIDS treatment is horrifically expensive and really adds to the cost of group medical ins. So does cigarette smoking. While companies can and do deny coverage to employees who smoke, they are not allowed to deny coverage to those who sodomize. It would seem only fair that if one could ban a member for one legal activity due to increased cost to the group, they should also be able to ban a member for other legal activities. I'm not fishing here, just pointing out an inequity we all pay for.

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! This board can be something else.

15. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Steve-This is current practice with all employers. My employer has been doing this for some time now. If your spouse works and is elagable for his/her employers insurance they can not be on our insurance. My daughter is finishing up her last bit of college and doesn't carry enough credits to be classified a full time student and my employers insurance dropped her. The others are right on the money, health insurance is a benefit and like any other benefit the employer is going to do what it takes to keep costs to a minimum.

Joe

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Several years ago a coworker neglected to respond to a request for information confirming his daughters college attendance. Well he just threw the letter away. He paid the price for his stupiditiy, it took him a few months to get his daughter back on his insurance. HR and of course the union all got involved, the Hr\R people at the plant were actually on his side it just took a while to get things straightened out. Stupid is as stupid does I guess. Bill

17. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Damn Senior, you ask the most and the craziest questions. You must be damn lonely or have nothing better to do. BRGII

18. senior smoke

BRGll- you hit it on the head. i am very sick this past week.
    steve

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

How the Hell did we get from Aids to Sodomy in this thread????

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

And remember BigM- only those "homos" with their "rump humpin" get "the AIDS". LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.