1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this how you line up your gun to shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was doing some reading and had never seen this before. I always line up with the middle of the trap house even with the top or roof. Have I been messing up?

Halfway from middle of trap house and left front corner; 1-1½' high.

Middle of trap house; 1-1½' high.

Halfway from middle of trap house and right-front corner; 2-2½' high.

Right-front corner of trap house and 2-2½' high.

1-1½' off right-front corner house, and 2-2½' high.

Tell me what you think please. Maybe this is why I can seem to get over 96 at the 16. As of today I am starting to keep a log for every station including skeet to see if there is any particular area that is a problem(hard rights/lefts). I need your help/ideas. Jackie B.

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Jackie.....Try this:

#1......Six feet high and one foot left of the left house corner

3# THRU #4 ......Thats ok, but hold six foot high

#5.......Same as #1, except in reverse and Six foot high hold

Stop chasing the target upward and start intercepting it left to right or right to left with a smooth, clean swing of the gun.Reduce the gun's movement .

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The way Jack holds the gun is pretty much the Classic Hold as taught by the Late D. Lee Braun in his book, "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros". That method has worked very well for me over 40 years of shooting but since I have a tendency to crossfire, I hold a lower gun so that I can always have my right eye looking over the barrel and not obscured by the barrel. I could never handle the high gun hold that Hipshot3 uses but that is OK because last year I watched Kay Ohye hold a high gun and clean up at the Western Grand in Spokane.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I don't know any All Americans that hold quite that high.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Kay Ohye's gun hold was maybe level or just a tad higher than level but certainly not 6 feet high.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try a foot above the house at each station at the sixteen, and on the house at the 27. That's how I shoot, but I use to shoot like you do. Until I started shooting bunker. The USA coach at the time had me hold six feet in front of the bunker, then I looked up. No one needs to hold a super high gun, the gun will go to where your eyes are looking. And those bunker targets are a whole lot faster than American Trap.

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Go watch the best shooters. You won't see many who have the gun below level. Many, maybe more than 50% are even above level. That may not be six feet but it sure as heck is more than one or two feet. When all the best players do something in any sport, it is usually the way to do it. No exception here. Jake

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

There was a articule in Trap& Field last year interviewing the All Americans, their hold points and poi. It is kind of an illusion when you are standing behind them.

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I tried the high gun for the most miserable, frustrating unproductive year of my life. Finally, a couple of very good shooters who have now become permanent occupants of the critics' bench sat me down and told me, "Forget this high gun stuff. There's an awful lot of people holding high guns that would shoot a helluva lot better if they stopped it. We know maybe 3 people on the East Coast who can successfully shoot from a high hold and you ain't one of them."

After they explained what was basically wrong with a high hold and why it didn't work for most people I went back to my former roof-top hold. My scores improved enough to put me in AA the next year.

Morgan

10. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

I only shoot a few hundred ATA targets a year, but last time I checked I think my average was well over 90% plus for all 3 games. (sngls, caps & dbls.)

FWIW, I am right handed, both eyes open. I actually have better results holding lower on 1 & 2, but then somewhat higher (experiment for yourself) on 3, 4, & 5. On 3, do NOT hold in the middle of the trap house. If you do, you WILL cover up a bird occasionally and then wonder why in the hell you missed an easy straight away. For # 3, if you are right handed, hold slightly (about a foot - no more) to the right of middle. (Opposite for a lefty.)

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Blowing Smoke ,

On #3 if you hold to the side alittle one way or the other wouldn't you stand the chance of covering a slightly quartering bird?

Another myth busted.

12. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

If it is a slightly quartering bird (I assume you mean to the right, as my hold point would only enhance your view if it was quartering left) your eyes would still catch it coming out of the house. You do what works for you. I've smoked enough targets to know what works for me.

13. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

BTW, I don't condone "smoking" targets. Perhaps "ink balled" would be more apprpriate...

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

OK then, blowing ink Balls.

15. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

10-4 mythbuster

16. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Jackie:

I would drop the hold for 3 - 5 about a foot and bring them towrds the center of the house so that 5 is over the right corner. If you hold off the corner of the house for 5 and a quarter angle comes out, you run the risk of moving the gun stright up to intersect the target, since the gun appears to be ahead of the target. You will then be shooting behind the target because there is no horizontal movement. If you have trouble with hard lefts or rights, move the gun in towards the center of the house. This forces gun movement to the angle.

There is no perfect way, but keeping a journal and being methodical will help. If you are having a problem with a certain station, ask some advice and then go and practice a box or two on that station alone!

Remember that gun hold depends on lighting. As a famous shooter from Sutherlin, Oregon is fond of saying, "Lights up, Sights up". Bright days allow you to hold higher over the house. Also, as you move back, you drop your hold over the house to the point where you should be on the roof, or near there, at the 27. Never, Never, Never below the roof.

Gene

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried holding off on station five and missed several and I don't normally miss those. I had a tendency to raise the gun through the bird on hard rights and missed. Holding high on station 3 caused me a problem also on straight away birds. I came down with the gun and bird was still on a rise and woops I missed again. I had been shooting with a Beretta 390 high ribbed 32 inch full choke(thanks Jack) and was improving but bought a BT-99 and can't seem to get comfortable with it. From sample shots I would say it shoots 60/40 and having to learn not to cover the bird. I have been used to looking parallel down the barrel rib but with the BT-99 with the comb all the way down and head pressed on the stock I can just barely see the figure 8. It's a learning process I guess but it ain't comfortable. Jackie B.

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Forget seeing a figure 8. It only is applicable if you have a gun with an adjustable rib or you reposition your midbead to create a figure 8 once you have established your preferred POI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do you line up your gun to shoot