1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this hoarding?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Zoom.Golly, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Is this hoarding? I'm usually near my preferred regional supplier a couple of times a year. Usually I'm near there in late winter or very early spring and buy a year's worth of reloading supplies. I'll be near there again next month. I'll probably stop in for some hunting supplies. Do you think I might take my normal spring shopping list with me? Do you think if he has those items available that I might buy them in September instead of February?

I usually get two years from a keg of the powder I use for 20 and 28 gauge. I'm a year into that powder and usually would wait until next year to resupply. Do you think I might resupply this year if he has that powder, or alternative?

I don't use much 410 powder. I have enough to PROBABLY last another year. Do you think I might restock this year if it is available? I usually buy it in 4 pound bottles. Think I might buy 8 pounds if that is all that is available?

Hoarding? I bet the majority of you are doing the same thing. With all of us doing that you get a serious bump in demand.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy it if you can. HMB

3. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Sam, I do the same thing only about once a year. But this year I wanted to by powder and my supplier wouldn't sell any powder unless a case of wads were bought with the powder. I keep enough wads to reload my shooting ammo for the year and don't need any more at this time. Now I will have to find a different supplier. I don't like the hasmat fee of shipping primers and powder and that is why I buy it when I can and if the price is right. It is nearly 150 miles for me to travel for supplies and with the price of fuel being what it is can't afford to drive that far every time I want to reload my ammo for shoots. Lead doesn't have limits. Why is that? Because I guess there is plenty. I could go on but enough.

NO I don't think you are hoarding, if so then I am hoarding also.
    Darwin

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Normally, I buy 5 or 10 flats of ammo at a time, but this year I bought 50 flats. If I want to go shooting, I don't have to worry whether or not I can get ammunition. The suppliers in this area have both run out of ammunition from time to time this year. I don't reload much, except in the winter months and I stocked up on those supplies as well.

The difference between what I am doing and hoarding is, that, I will not see my friends stuck and will sell them a flat or a bag of lead at replacement cost if they can't find anything to shoot. Bill Malcolm

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

To some shooters who can not afford to purchase supplies in bulk, you will probably look like hoarders to them. But, if these same individuals had the same financial means, they would most likely do the same thing.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If your into reloading for competition shooting here in AZ, you MUST buy supplies to last you a year! All reloading supplies must be shipped in from out of state on special order as a group to help with shipping costs. Once in a while you can buy locally but it's rare since we hardly have anyone stocking supplies locally. Sportsman's Warehouse usually has a decent stock but the costs are comparable with buying new shells almost as cheap. SW has been out of powder for quite some time and everything is on back order. I can't find the rosey side of this picture by blaming all of this shortages on hoarding even though it does happen in some cases. There's something else also influencing this shortage and it doesn't look too good for us reloaders.

HAP

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I could never afford to buy in those quantities...

Ron Burr

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hoarding is buying up large quantities of supplies even though you don't have a need for them in the foreseeable future. You are just getting your annual supply which you will probably use.

Good luck on your stock up, most distributors I know don't have very much in stock these days.

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Those amounts don't constitute hoarding, it's the ones that buy everything on the shelf and then there,s nothing left for those of us that want reasonable amounts. Ross Puls

10. TheoShooter

TheoShooter Active Member

Not hoarding at all. You're buying what you need and are going to use.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

No you are not hoarding, you are being prepared

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I bought 4 cases (20,000) primers just a few months ago, is that hoarding? Remington 209P primers are what I use and they were getting hard to find, Gamaliel advertised a good deal on them so while I was ordering I figured I just as well get as much as I could get on ONE hazmat fee, hazmat's the same fee if you order 1 box or up to 4 cases so I got 4 cases. That's prob'ly a two or three year supply for me but I'll use 'em eventually.

OTOH, an old Army buddy of mine asked me if I'd load some 30-06 for him and I agreed to load up to 200 rounds if he'd send me the empties, so he scrounged around to come up with the empty hulls as I suspect he hasn't fired a shot from his old Garand in years and I'm loading 'em up for him now. 200 rounds that I doubt will ever be fired but hey......he'll be ready for the 2nd civil war if it comes ;-)

13. JohnStefanowicz

JohnStefanowicz Member

If you have to ask, you probably are. John

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

What may be true is if you buy the way you did back prior to December, 2012 it's not hoarding. BT100dc

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Shown below are pictures of the stuff I opened today. Over the years I have bought in bulk and stored some away...now I'm glad I did.

Curt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Accusing trap shooters of hoarding, because we shoot thousands of shells each year, is like accusing McDonald's of hoarding hamburgers. Or like Dove shooters who go through 20 shells to kill one Dove and buy flats of ammo when they are on sale. Sounds pretty logical to me. Having enough ammo to keep shooting with a supply to last a year or 2 is forward thinking, not hoarding.

17. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Add another 50 percent to the order.

Who cares, you got what you wanted.

I buy wads by the case, primers as well.

I wish I had a few more cases of powder.

Nobody looks down on me cause I buy smart.

If I can buy shells at dicks for 5.29 a box, I will buy all I can even if I put on my credit card.

I never put anything on credit unless I pay for it at the end of the month.

It is the fault of the store, they should order more if it sells.

Basic business.

If you sell it, they will buy it.

Kenny U

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Depends on which side you are on.

19. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

I use three powders. I probably have enough to last another year and half. And about that many primers too. But if my dealer has them in stock when I go I will probably buy another year's supply while I can. Unless there is an unforeseen health issue they will be used my me.

I bet a lot of us are doing that. Added together it takes a toll on the available supply.

I don't know anybody buying shotgun powder and primers to resell. Dunno about the deal with pistol and rifle ammo.

20. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

I don't have a problem with people buying for there own personal use, even stocking up for a couple of years worth of shooting. Its the people that are buying up everything to resell at unreasonable prices. A lot of stores have held the prices on ammo or slight increase. I've seen $80-100 bricks of 22lr. or $25/box of estate target shells. I walk out of the store. some gun show sellers are worse. Even doubling there money isn't good enough for most.