1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

is this editable?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kent, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kent

Kent TS Member

I found this out behind the house today while clean up a patch of woods. This was growing at the bottom of a hickory stump. Is it ok to eat?
    It is the size of a small diner plate.
    [​IMG]
    <
    [​IMG]

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

When I was a kid a half century ago we use to go out in the woods around fall and pick a few paper shopping bags of these mushrooms. They were known to us back then as stumpies. I am still living.

3. Kent

Kent TS Member

Thanks, do you remember how you prepared them?

4. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Try it with a little hemlock and arsenic--just kidding;you better be REALLY sure.

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Some mushrooms are very poisonous. Make sure you know which is which before eating. I'm not doubting toolmaker, I'm just saying allot of mushrooms look similar to each other.

6. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

there are several real good websites on mushrooms etc. if not totally sure don't do it.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

No but it is edible.

Eric

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Are you really that desperate for food?

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

garlic, butter with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. But before you eat it prepare a will. Mushrooms that aren't good to eat kill you. But then, you knew that.

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

With the "fins" or "gills", I would be VERY surprised if they were good/OK to eat...........merlyn

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

My father cooked them exactly like Jakearoo mentioned, but with onions.

12. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Try the link above, Or this

http://americanmushrooms.com/id.htm

or this

http://www.backyardnature.net/f/mush-id.htm

Or plenty others if you look.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I come across mushrooms all the time in the woods, but I don't know s*** from shinola about them, and we have some deadly kinds here that will either kill you or if you are "lucky" they only totally destroy your kidneys.

14. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

No response lately from Killians Red, hope its not something he ate!!

15. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Please cook it yourself if you are going to take a chance and eat that fungi. I don't want to see a loved one of yours on CSI. Kim

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am an avid mushroom hunter and this one looks like a no no. Merlyn is right about the gills. I fix the good ones in a skillet with butter, coat them with a mixture of flour and corn meal and fry. Most people only eat the morels but there are a lot of different spcies that are edible, just be very sure. It probably wont kill you but you will get very very sick

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I just tried one...i think they are---Gasp!..GAG --Puke!!!!

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We always picked and ate the same mushrooms for years and never varied from that . One day my buddy and I found a mother load of them and went to get my father and his buddy and between us 4 we got 24 bushels . WE threaded them on string to dry , cooked some in a large pot with an onion and a silver dollar so if either discolored we would know they were bad . Neither the onion or silver dollar changed color. All was good so for supper we had Roast Beef, mushroom gravey , string beans and potatoes. About an hour and a half later as I was driving around town I upchucked a few times then called home and my father said to meet them all at the hospital !!! Sure enough , poison mushrooms , First time for everything . After we got out in 3 days -- no one got their stomach pumped but it sure was hell - he took a few to Rutgers and although they looked alike , the poisoned ones had an orange tint and powder underneith but the tops looked identical so even if you picked a button, which I think most were, you would never have known the difference . They told us that they were called "Orange Jack-o-Lanterns". Makes you sick but not deadly . We still ate mushrooms after that but we looked more cautiously and didn`t pick the buttons anymore .

19. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

K-Red........My "grammie" and uncle's all picked them. They new good from bad. I remember getting heavy white cord string and "stringing" them to hang in the attic to dry. Good luck with the meal...BUT... if anything SHOULD go wrong...Can I have the KILLIAN RED? MY, MY, IT'S MY FAVORITE BEER.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.