1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this appropriate...Or...Should I be angry?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolarkid6657, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

At the 2005 Grand I had Kolar look over my combo I had purchased from a dealer in 2004. They noticed a very small crack in the checkering that would be hard for the average person to see. They decided it would be a good idea to pin the stock to keep this crack from spreading further....And I paid them for that work.

This year at the grand I had noticed the crack had spread and another crack had developed in another location. I took my gun to them and they decided they would look over it and let me know what they thought when they got back to their shop in Wisconsin. They called me today asking for payment for pinning the other crack.

I have taken EXCELLENT care of my gun....So, Should I have to pay for what I assume shouyld be warranty work, or is this appropriate for them to charge me for a problem I had no part in creating?

2. Donm

Donm Active Member

How long is their warranty anyways. Most times warranty on work done is about 30-90 days. You are talking years. And wood is always changing and drying.

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I once owned a Browning 20 gauge field grade Citori. The stock cracked so I sent it to Browning and they replaced it at no charge. About 3 months later the stock cracked again so I returned it to Browning and they repaired the crack at no charge. I wish they had repaired the first stock because it was a much nicer piece of wood. I bought the gun used and they replaced/repaired it twice at no cost to me. We won't discuss how long it took to get it back the seconnd time. JRM

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

No one can guarantee what wood will do over time.
    Pay for the repairs and go on with your life.

Although expressed warranty probably will not cover this, and many makers will provide free repair/replacement, if Kolar DID agree to fix it for free, then you have received a nice gift.

You agreed to let them examine the gun and act accordingly. They did. What are your options at this point; refuse payment and let them keep the gun??

For myself, there are more important things in this life to worry about than paying for a repaired stock on a nice gun.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You cant expect it to be warranted forever unless they stated it was

Are you the original owner or did you just buy it from a dealer? maybe you should go back to the dealer if it had these cracks when you purchased it and ask what they will do

regards

Gene

6. oz

oz Active Member

My beretta 687EELL developed a crack at the wrist. sent it to beretta. they replaced the buttstock AND the forearm so it wouild match. NO CHARGE and got it back in a couple of weeks. oz

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I would be angry.

John C. Saubak

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Tell them to keep the wood and get you a PFS from Vern Brown or pick up a used one and be done with it ... The PFS won't crack and its got more adjustments on it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I would be upset and not only that I don't want a piece of wood with that many repaired cracks. The next question becomes... Where will the next crack come from? Three repaired crack might very well pay for a new for-end depending on what they are charging you to fix it. I would be disappointed that they didn't fix it for free or at least recognise the for-end for the lemon that it is and replace it. Let's face it.. Under normal use the for-end should not be cracking at all and a second crack should be sending somebody a message that it had a problem in the first place. JMO Jeff

10. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

Code5Coupe, The reason I purchased a Kolar in the first place was to ensure that the customer service that I recieved was second to none. Kolar has dealers such as the one that I bought my gun NEW from in 2004. This is no different from a Ford dealer having a car on his lot. If the Ford car is recalled the dealer does not replace the part FORD does. If I had wanted a mid grade gun with mid grade customer service and a mid grade piece of wood I wouldnt have bought a Kolar in the first place, or paid to have the wood upgraded.

I am not opposed to paying to have work done. AT ALL. I am just opposed to paying for work that I have had done before. That in my opinion shouldnt happen again. I'm 19. I'm in college. I try to keep from spending money I shouldn't have to.

Jeff at Kolar said the most likely reason my stock cracked was because of stress between the wood and the reciever. He said this stress was relieved during each annual the gun recieved. My gun isnt old enough for an annual. I've never had one done.

11. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

And, DB Bill....I've never been anything but nice to any of the guys at Kolar. Catch more flies with honey than vinegar ...right?

12. g7777777

If you have an issue- its with the dealer

What did the dealer have to say and who is it?

There are a lot of things that are involved when wood cracks- sometimes it is as simple as a bolt coming lose or an adjustment that needs to be made- if those arent done- the wood will crack

Who is the dealer and what do they say?

Gene

13. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

I bought the gun from DuPont. I called them after the first crack in the stock showed up. I dont know if they were passing the buck or not, but they told me to contact Kolar because it was their responsibility.

14. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

Well those were my thoughts too. Kolar has never even asked me if the gun was bought new or not. If their not concerned about who is taking advantage of their warranty enough to ask if I was the orignal owner of not, then I think if the gun is pre-owned or new is not AS BIG of a deal.

And guys, I'm not trying to bad mouth Kolar in ANY way whatsoever if it has come across that way. They have been nothing but helpful to me up to this point with other questions or concerns I have had. I was just curious if someone else thought I had room to complain.

15. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

Well those were my thoughts too. Kolar has never even asked me if the gun was bought new or not. If their not concerned about who is taking advantage of their warranty enough to ask if I was the orignal owner of not, then I think if the gun is pre-owned or new is not AS BIG of a deal.

And guys, I'm not trying to bad mouth Kolar in ANY way whatsoever if it has come across that way. They have been nothing but helpful to me up to this point with other questions or concerns I have had. I was just curious if someone else thought I had room to complain.

16. kolarkid6657

kolarkid6657 TS Member

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"They have been nothing but helpful to me up to this point with other questions or concerns I have had. I was just curious if someone else thought I had room to complain."

In light of their previous concern for you, I'd say "no".

You bought the Kolar, new, when you were 16?? (I guess mowing lawns pays more these days than it did when I was 15....) One attaboy for you and you should go far in this world.

18. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Annual maintenance?? Dam, I'm way behind. The 80 year old Parker I regularly shoot has never had annual maintenance, since I've owned it. 25 years plus or minus a year or two.

Anybody got the address for the Parker factory?

Kolarkid, I hope you get satisfaction. Good luck.

Bisi

19. g7777777

Dupont sold it and they should honor the warranty and then the dealer can go back to Kolar

Ask to talk to Mr. Dupont

Gene

20. CommonMan

CommonMan TS Member

What the hell difference does it make if he was 16 or 60 when he bought the gun, or how he got the money to pay for it. That really isnt the issue here. I think code5coupe is a little jelous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar cracked stock