1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this an illegal target?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybuster77, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

In ATA singles trap, a target thrown 23 degrees from straightaway at post 3 is an illegal target?

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You are kidding, right ..? I hope ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

See the Rule Book, Section XIII, E and Diagram II. Then you'll know why it isn't illegal.

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

how do you know it is 23 and not 22 or 21??

tony

7. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

okay, got it inhand. Now tell me how you came to this conclusion. If you are standing at station 3 and a target comes out of the house at a 23 degree angle, it seems that would be a hard right. There is a reference to a 17 degree angle, 3 1/2 feet from either station 1 0r 5, but not greater than 34 degrees. What am I missing here?

8. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Tony,
    It's a hypothetical question. I want to know what it looks like coming out of the house if you are standing on station 3. It seems to me that it would come out low on either side, if measured from the base line. Unless, you are using the straight away angle as the center line and not the arm of the trap.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

You didn't read Section XIII, E nor did you look at Diagram II like I told you to, did you?

10. Hauser

Hauser Member

A 23 degree target from post 3 is exceeds the minimum angle requirement by 6 degrees. Its not illegal.

Jerry Hauser

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

claybuster77

"In ATA singles trap, a target thrown 23 degrees from straightaway at post 3 is an illegal target?"

In sub section E Flights and Angles There is a statement in that rule that answers both of your question. Yet you still ask questions.

"However, no target is to be declared illegal unless it is significantly outside normal parameters (e.g., more than 10 degrees outside normal)."

"I want to know what it looks like coming out of the house if you are standing on station 3. It seems to me that it would come out low on either side, if measured from the base line. Unless, you are using the straight away angle as the center line and not the arm of the trap."

I have read this whole section and I can find no reference to "the arm of the trap". Ten degrees should be a visible change to even a casual shooter let alone one that shoots ATA targets.

Bob Lawless

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Illegal targets are legal unless they are very illegal. Is that what you said Bob? HMB

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Anything less than "3" hole targets should be banned!

ss

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed it the first time you threw it. Could I see it again?

Hauxfan!

15. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

I have read the entire section. It states that the angle spread will not be less than 34 degrees. The center line divides this figure in half, making it 17.5 degrees on either side of the center line. At 3.5 feet from either post 1 or post 5 it will appear as a straight away target. Now the question is thrown 23 degrees FROM straight away,meaning from the baseline, then it would indeed be an illegal target. I am also thinking that it would be a quarter angle target?? Or maybe a driver to the left or right? After I got my magnifying glasses out I could see that the ideal spread is 54 degrees. Which is fine and dandy, but my thoughts were that the question makes it sound like the target is being ejected from the house at 23 degrees, straight aways go straight, they don't usually veer off to one side or the other. Thoughts on this?

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hmb

"Illegal targets are legal unless they are very illegal. Is that what you said Bob?"

Where did I say anything that even come close to that obtuse question? Or maybe you are you just having trouble with your reading comprehension again?

Bob Lawless

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ideal spread is 54* ?? where did that come from???

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Must be a sizeable snowstorm!

Curt

19. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

23 degrees doesn't matter because I ain't setting it or shooting it. LOL

20. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

2 hole or 3 hole targets do not vary that much. At a large State Shoot back in the 90s I saw 1 hole ( YES 1 HOLE)targets thrown on "State Singles Championship" day. Frank Little and Kay Ohye were both there and neither broke a 200. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.