1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this an 870 classic or competition?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kehrby, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I'm not an expert but it sure looks like a newer Classic Trap to me. They came with tubes.

Steve

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'm with captain on this one. Definitly not a comp. I only have one.

ec90t

3. mike b.

mike b. Member

Ad said it was a Classic Trap...I agree!

4. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Is this an 870 classic or competition?

It is neither.

It is an early 1990's 870TC.

It has a Long Fore end; the Classic has the short fore end like the earlier trap 870's

It has a Conventional Trap Stock; the Classic is only montecarlo

It does not have engraving/inlays; the Classic has these and they would especially be visible in the photo of the left side of the receiver.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

comp says "870 competition" or such on receiver I believe. I thought they all went to the land of cracked receivers long ago.

HM

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I agree with Rem870TB, it is an 870 TC Trap.

I have a 1988 TC Trap with the straight trap stock like the one in the advertisement. The wood is outstanding. The chokes are marked Trap Full, Trap Extra Full and Trap Super Full. I could not see the rib well but the TC Trap has a step rib while the current classic trap does not.

I prefer the TC Trap to the current Classic Trap. The TC Trap had an overbored barrel and is a tremendous long range "games" gun. It is not too shabby on the concrete at 16-27 yards either.

Unlike a Comp, it is a 5 shot (plug to 3) and is very easy to clean. It also weighs about ½ pound more than an older 870 TB due to a thicker barrel and longer front slide. The wood on mine is also very, very dense.

The TC Trap, IMO, is a money gun in games shoots. I don’t like to shoot against them because I know what mine will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.