1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a Timney or a Schwab?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kodiak2858, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kodiak2858

kodiak2858 TS Member

I found this release trigger while going through some of my Dad's old stuff. I don't know if it's a Timney or a Schwab, since both brochures were in the box. It's an older one since Dad died in 1990, and hadn't shot trap in some years. I'd like to sell it for Mom, but need to know what it is first! Thanks for any help.

Roger Aulabaugh
    Kodiak, AK

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

What you have is a common design for a Remington release. I have owned several made by both Timney and Schwab. However, all the Timney and Schwab releases I have ever owned had their name on the hook. I don't see a name on yours.

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

You havent shot trap in years, but you are aware of this web site? post pics like a pro? Give Mom my best and I pass on this one!

4. kodiak2858

kodiak2858 TS Member

Markdenis: Thanks, hmmm, wonder what it is?

Need to Shoot More: I haven't shot trap PERIOD! My Dad did. I know how to take photos, however, and I know how to use a computer. It wasn't hard to find Trapshooters.com, and the tutorial for including images sent me to Photobucket. Mom is 82 and living in Anchorage with my brother's family.

Must be a tough life being as suspicious and sarcastic as you are. My sympathies....

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

pic is def a timney

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a Timney - the trigger shape is the give-away. It looks exactly like the Timneys I have for my 870 and 1100. It is unusual that his name isn't on the hook.

Ed

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

timney does not have a safety and schwab only did conversions

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Al once told me he never made a release without his name on it, so ......

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Mr. Timney, and he is due a LOT of respect, his work wasn't the best toward the end. I bought my 1100 release from him in 2003 and took it to him at the 2004 Grand to see if he could make it a little faster, as it was very noticeably slower than his trigger in my 870. By the time he had the repair tag filled out, he had forgotten what he was to do with the trigger. I can easily believe he could forget stamping his name once or twice.

Ed

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I am also in the Timney voting group (no safety) I have one just in case, have tried it & it works great but still shooting a pull trigger.value?? probably in the $150.00+ range if it is the all steel one (check with magnet).. Good luck but don't sell it keep it & start shooting some trap, betcha like it, then if you ever need a release you have one. Break em all Ross

11. furface

furface Member

It looks like a Timney. Is there any allen screws down in two holes a the back for trigger overtravel and spring pressure? What ever you have a nice trigger, especially if the frame is steel. Best of luck, Joe

12. kodiak2858

kodiak2858 TS Member

Drum Roll....the general concensus is an all steel (I put the magnet on it) Timney! Thanks, guys...nice website with good people. When I figure out what will be a fair price for all concerned I'll respond to the guys who contacted me privately about selling it.

Thanks again...

Roger Aulabaugh

13. rick979

rick979 Active Member

It is worth $250.00 cash

14. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

He was a good ole guy but in the last years he should have said no.he mess a perazzi up so bad it would shoot and then I had to mail a picture of the check to prove I already paid for it I just shine it on and took a loss His wife was in very bad shape so why bring him more grief. Jon

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

here's my too sense... It is worth $250.02

It'll sell for that because you have created interest (intentional or inadvertant). Guys are watching, and even PM'g you now. I own a half dozen Timneys and they shoot consisently longer than Rem or other conversions. The only drawback wiht the Timney is the weight. The dynamics of thegun change wiht theadditional 4 or 5 ounces of steel. Perceptibly, but you easily get used to it.

Iterestingly, I saw no 1100s at the State shoot, just one 390 (DeVault Cnv) a lot of Perazzi, a few K guns (both varieties) several 680 guns, a lot of XT types. Best gun I saw was a K80 with a bondo stock thathe was going to have Bobby Emerick duplicate in real wood when the seasonis over. Similar now to a Devault instyle. He shot it well andwith a lot of confidence. You could tell that byhis gunmount nad his target centering.

16. fishguts

fishguts Member

Hey,...wait a minute, kodiak2858, that looks like the trigger I loaned your dad back in the 80's. You were just a little tyke then, you wouldn't remember. No safety, no name on it, two sets of instructions....yep, that's the baby.

Wayne... :)

17. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.