1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a SCAM ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by B.C., Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B.C.

B.C. Member

Hello Bill, I have a stock and a forearm for sale.I do not have images butcondition is good and excellent. I have made shipping inquiries and total price shipped is a $150.Iwill be shipping via Ups or FedEx which ever you prefer and willaccept payment via Western Union or Money gram.Whats your shippingaddress? Thanks Barry On 12/1/10, William Cook <wcook06@msn.com> wrote:>> Hi Barry,> Please send me some pictures and price !>> Thanks, Bill>>> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:57:52 +0100>> Subject: WTB K80 WENIG New American Stock & Forearm>> From: barry.william84@gmail.com>> To: wcook06@msn.com>>>> -->> Hello,>>>>>> This is Barry Williams from the United Kingdom.You placed a wanted>> AD over the Internet and i still have for sale in good and perfect>> condition.>>>> You can ring me on +447024068582 for detailed information and condition.>>>> Thanks>> Barry>> Bury and Bolton Road, Radcliffe, Manchester

I had placed a WTB add on here ! B.C.

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Yes, I believe it is. I got an email from the same 'person' concerning a listing looking for an SKB combo.

3. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I believe the country code for a UK phone num is .I bet youll find is nigeria,

4. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I would not go any further until you see picture. Then the question is ,is the item rare enough to take the risk of getting burnt ? It is a risky deal for sure.

5. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

its U.K.(United Kingdom) The 44 denotes a UK number and the 7 denotes its a mobile (cell)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_area_code_447#ixzz16sGxIjp6

Juan

6. shelly

shelly TS Member

It sounds legitimate to me, nearly as much so as that nice Nigerian gentleman who is going to send me the 6 million dollars he promised. It will be here any day now.

7. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I got the same email for a CG I was looking for. Seems they've found us here!

8. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Got mine this morning

Hello,

This is Barry Williams from the United Kingdom.You placed a wanted
    AD over the Internet and i still have for sale in good and perfect
    condition.

You can ring me on +447024068582 for detailed information and condition.

Thanks
    Barry
    Bury and Bolton Road, Radcliffe, Manchester, M26 4LJ

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

A past member of our clubs widow just emailed me and she`s been mugged at a hotel in Malaysia and they took all he money and credit cards but she does have her passport . She has been in contact with the embassy there . She just needs my help ?? Thats funny because she has a 1 year old who was in bad health at birth and on oxygen for the longest time . Wonder why she took a trip to Malaysia ?? I`m mailing the money first thing >>>>> ?? This must be true because it`s her email address !!!!

10. citadel

citadel Active Member

ABSOLUTELY A SCAM. THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME, THEY ARE ALWAYS FROM ENGLAND OR SOME PLACE SIMILAR AND THEY HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER EXCEPT TO WASTE EVERYONES TIME IN THE HOPES OF TAKING SOMEONES MONEY FOR NOTHING.
    DOUG

11. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

It is a scam, I got the email also for an item I posted here that I wanted to buy. I just hit the "delete" button.

Bob

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I got the same email about a friend being mugged in England and he needed $1800 to get home. There was enough information about me, like a nick name and my wife's name so I thought it really was my old Army buddy. There was no answer at his house so I called another friend to help me get the money to England. That friend just laughed because they were both together at the range when I called. My Army buddy had just lost a wager that was way short of $1800, but the second friend said he would be glad to collect from me.

If anything is ever sent across the internet, it is no longer secret or private, no matter how "secure" they say the web site it.

13. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

This is really true, it's your lucky day! How do I know this?

I'm a lepreucaun sitting on a big pot of gold. If you send me money I'll give you the secret map to my whereabouts. Just send $10, okay make it $5.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I usually reply to e-mails like this with the text of some other scam e-mail I got from some other scam artist.

Or I make up some language with gibberish, well punctuated, mind you, with an occasional naughty word spelled backwards, like:

Ouy Toidi,

Forlabu pondar dist wex movcan pleb woske?

Paltado gubd noltem dna qam.

Ouy era na elohssa.

Pollikanardo,

Okram R. Golcunda

You'd be amazed at how many nibbles I get from this gibberish!

15. th445

th445 TS Member

Don't answer them in any shape or mannor once you do your hooked for ever. When I get them I send it to the block sender file. I must have a long list of block senders. But its always from a different person so they have you on a rope now. Good luck you never get rid of them.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I had a similar one two weeks ago, two actually.

Seems that a buyer in the UK ( I eventually traced the originating IPA to Lagos, Nigeria) wanted to buy three parts for a Perazzi, HOWEVER he wanted twenty of each and the total bill was approaching $2,000.

He indicated that he was sending a certified check for more than the amount (THIS IS A 100% SIGN OF A SCAM) and any overage that I received was to be given to his freight forwarder. FREIGHT FORWARDER???!!!

I told him, CREDIT CARD only, and that I live in Rapid City SD, not the mecca of "freight forwarding" and that anyone driving here for that purpose was an idiot. He responded that he was accumulating many items in the US and wanted to consolidate all into one shipment. I, again, replied that if he wanted the items provide credit card info, and I, not some dufus freight forwarder, would simply drop them in a box and ship them.

I ultimately and in a last email, asked him how it was living in Lagos? No response. The "company's" email address was something like "Merchandising Supply.com." Furthermore, he couldn't type a grammatically correct sentences; run-on sentences, wrong use of periods and spaces. These guys are idiots, but I'd guess that statistically about 3% of the population falls for these scams, or they wouldn't even try.

AND, about the same time I had another similar deal whereby I was getting paid MORE than the order was for and that I was to send a refund check when I shipped. I told this idiot (1) he had the exact total, and (2) if he paid more than that, I was not going to refund anything. I also told BOTH parties I would not accept any certified bank check, only Postal Money Orders, and that I would personally present them to the US Post Office for verification.

Sad part in all of this is that I actually wanted to "see" one of these "Certified" checks. Anyone can buy VersaCheck to design and print their own checks. To be valid, however, you need magnetic toner to print the MICR. The bank's CEO and I hunt together, so we giggle about all these scams and wanted to see what they were using for routing numbers. He wanted to see the check to and have the staff do some tracing.

Consequently, there are scammers lurking on this site.

I also had two people this week claim that I failed to enclose a couple parts in their orders. Wasn't true because I went back an reassembled the orders and checked their weights on my postal scale. I told them this, but they insisted. Now, I take a digital picture of each assembled order of parts (if more than one part) and save it related to the invoice number, and they get put on a list for future reference that I share with some other dealers in the business.

If I ever get one of these checks that bogus, I'll post a scan of it here. Be great if anyone out there is TS.COM land could also.

Man, it takes all kinds, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.