1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

is this a no-no

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nutty1, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

recently i've been reading about un-safe practices while shooting my question is while moving from station 5 to station 1 is it alright to put a shell in the chamber and keep the gun open till its your turn. sometimes my squad shoots so fast it seem to slow things down having to chamber a round after you have gotten to station 1 is this a no-no thanks steve

2. tp

tp TS Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT OK.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If the squad leader is being considerate (as they should be) then you should have ample time to get on post one, load your gun and give a 'heads_up" your ready before he calls for his target to start the shooting from that station!

Never carry a live round in your guns action between posts!

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

99% of the shooters I shoot with ,,squad leader waits till shooter on post one says ready on post one OR if using voice callers points down range to indacate ready,,,the other one percent just shoot when they are ready,NO CLASS,I do shoot with a few old timers that need to catch a breath after the walk,,,,,only chamber a round when on post and gun is aimed down range,,,no exceptions

5. juniorshooter

juniorshooter TS Member

If you are shooting with people that do not give you enough time to change stations, maybe it is time to find a new squad. Either that or wait until you are ready to shoot. I have shot with a few (very few) squad leaders that have done that, but I do not try to keep up with them, I take my time and shoot when I am ready.

6. juniorshooter

juniorshooter TS Member

I do not believe closing your gun before it is your turn is unsafe. If your gun is pointed in a safe direction, it is perfectly safe. I have seen a lot more "almost" accidents happen with release triggers than closing your gun before its your turn.

7. calilori

calilori TS Member

I was taught to put a round in my gun but leave it open as soon as I finished my shot and then to close my gun just before the person 2 places to my left shoots. As long as I am standing still and pointing my gun down range I don't see how this is unsafe, but I'm a newbie so what do I know?

8. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

mia whats so hard to believe, i see thi happen daily, shooter from post 5 on his way down to post 1 drops a shell in [sbt] gets to post 1 nods his head closes his gun and shoots i myself don't do this but it's a common ptactice where i shoot and also i see a lot of folks close their gun 2 or 3 shooters before it's there turn is this common practice thanks steve

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

MIA:

I thought the same as you so im not getting hooked, but I will say that im no big dog and I will continue to close my gun about 2 or so before my shot and point it down out in front as Calilori says she does because most of the time the squads I shoot on shoots pretty fast and also most like to keep the same pace.

I have seen just as many guns go off when not ready by people who waits to close the gun vs the ones that is already loaded.

Fog

10. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

nutty1
    Ok I could see where some might not think it's nuthing wrong with walking with a shell stuck in a break open gun or even a pump gun since you have to manually close them but there could still be dangers in doing so because if they was to stumbe and it did close and while trying to hold on the gun and if the trigger got pulled then it might be bad.

I could see something worse happening from an automatic while walking with a shell in the chamber because it wouldn't take as much for it to close vs the break open and pump gun.

Ok sometimes I do as jamie said also just carry one in my hand and stick it in the barrel when I get there.

Fog

11. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

sorry. folks i did mean to upset or step on any toes. i just see things that sometimes i think are a little squirrely and i thought i would ask your opinion thank you steve

12. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

YES it is a NO-NO. If someone did that more than once and I was on the line, I would leave the line....

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

ATA Rule IV, I, 10: "All guns must have the action opened and contain no live or empty shells at any time, except while the shooter is on the firing line...."

14. juniorshooter

juniorshooter TS Member

Shootlow, I have seen a few people shoot the ground in front of them while using a release trigger. I am guessing because they set the release too early. I estimate that I have seen that happen about ten times in my years of shooting. I have never seen anyone hurt because of it and that is why I classify it as an "almost accident". Is that better bait?

15. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have also seen a few times where people with release triggers go off prematurly in front of them. Not to many non release triggers but a very few here and there. More release than the standard triggers. I put my shell in when I get to my post and close my gun just as it is my turn. It dosen't seem to upset the timing of the squad in my book. But I was taught by an ol timmer how and what to do at the line or going to the line. He had been shooting about 50 years and still does now and then. Never put a shell in the gun no matter what type it is until you get to your post. Just my opinion. And, I have been shooting many, many years. About 20 to 25 I guess. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

16. smartass

smartass TS Member

I follow the rule MTA Tom cited. How hard is that? Why all the BS about personal techniques when the only thing that's required is to follow the rule.

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Rule IV, I,

12. A contestant shall place a live shell in his/her gun only when on
    a post facing the traps. In Singles and Handicap shooting he/she
    may place only one (1) live shell in his/her gun at a time and must
    remove it or the empty shell(s) before moving from one post to
    another. In Doubles shooting he/she may place two (2) live shells in
    his/her gun at a time and must remove both live or empty shells
    before moving from one (1) post to another. In changing from one
    (1) post to another, the shooter shall not walk in front of the other
    competitors.

Neil

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have never shot at a club that allows any shooter no matter how Big of Dog he is to move from one post to another with anything in the gun, that meaning a fired round either ... I would consider this to be as unsafe as one could imagine and it wouldn't happen twice if I was on the squad and the guy or person was walking behind me with anything in the chamber ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

One other thing I was taught when starting to shoot trap, was not only never move off a station unless the action is open, and no shell in the gun, but when you go from post 5 to post 1 turn to your right so you do not sweep the line with your barrel.

Jim

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I agree too Zara- Frank C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.