1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a local phenomenon?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

It seems very unusual that in our local Franklin Co, PA trap league (~100 competitors) that there would be four Sr. Veteran shooters who were also Professional baseball players, two of 'em made it to the Majors. Is there something about our sport that attracts ex ball players? I think it would be interesting to learn if it is just local, or a national phenomenon.

best...mike

2. twotimer

twotimer Member

Mike, most pro players of any sport have very unusual hand eye coordination and tend to be very good at any sport that requires it. Mike

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Professional golf has a large number of professional ex-baseball players

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

There was a real good pro ball player who is also a real good trapshooter. Some in baseball called him Billy, you can call him Earl.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Don't forget pro race cr drivers! Sit them down and explain the fundamentals, hand them a shotgun and watch them excel from the git go.

6. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Our local league has an ex-Dodgers player who was also a Grand American Handicap champ. Very talented

Dave Eberhart

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Ted Williams could do it all. Yeh I'm old be he will always be my hero, served his country too.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I think "barbers" have been the most winning profession in trapshooting history.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know that baseball players are attracted to trapshooting but I do think there is a correlation with people that are good ball players are also good shotgunners. The subject did come up one evening while solving the world's problems over a few barley pops and it turned out that all of the shooters there played a fair amount of baseball in our younger years. Of course who didn't play baseball back in the day.

Wonder how the frisbee players fare on the trap line?

10. NintyT

NintyT Member

I recently read an article in an old sportsmens review about a group of players from the st Louis cardinals shooting at a club in "SPARTA, IL". It was an issue from the early fifties.

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I played a lot of baseball as a young man. Every sport that I was involved in I was usually better than the average, until I got into trap shooting. I am not very good at it at all. I believe the reason trapshooting attracts professional players in sports is due to the competition.

I believe that most trap shooters either played sports in high school, college, or the big leagues. I feel that the younger you start shooting a shotgun, the better shooter you will be.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.