1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a Grade 1 Superposed?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hooked, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooked

Hooked Member

I just acquired this Browning Broadway and was wondering if this is a Grade 1 gun. The serial number puts its year of manufacture as 1973. I have a 1973 Browning catalog but it doesn't show or list a Grade 1 with a silver receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
    [​IMG]

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

No and no. It's not a broadway probably a 12mm rib not 15mm.

You have a european model gun Parcours something? I think they called it a letter B C or D and the mod number was 206 in field grade. Bill Jaqua had Browning import them for him If I remember the one you had sold for around $1400 new. If memory serves me they were only available in 28 and 30" barrels and should be remarked as a 3" chamber gun.

Joe

3. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Brian,

Sure isn't a Grade 1 with that engraving. Don't have my Browning book in front of me, so can't identify precisely. Find the name of the engraver on the receiver and that should help with the ID.

Hope you paid Grade 1 price for it. Beautiful engraving.

Mike Mann

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The receiver configuration would indicate a European version, a neat variation on the bland U.S. imports of the time. Show us the stock and forearm configuration. Long tang or short tang?

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Whoa!!!. That is one of the really rare Herstal factory B-25s. It is at a min a Grade 3 and you have done well. It shares two outward features of this ST100, being the leaf pattern on the top of the recvr/bbl area and a rounded top of the trigger blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your gun is towards the ending of the superposed era. It went on a while longer, but parts were mixed and matched and likely your gun was a custom order. Rare, and it could have mechanical or inertia triggers. But a gun to be cherished fo rsure.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I should also add that this is slightly above a grade one in engraving but well below a pigeon.
    Joe

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It is no where near a grade 3 It is a B 25 probably 206 parcours de chase mod.

Joe

8. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

I dont know what grade it is but its sure a nice looking gun..stroker

9. Hooked

Hooked Member

Thanks for your quick replies and feedback everyone. Gun Fitter, I think you're on the money. It is not a Broadway Rib, rather it is a 12mm rib. At the end of the serial #, after the year of manufacture, there is a B1. It has 30" barrels, but is only chambered in 2 3/4. The triggers are mechanical. The fact that it may be more a live bird gun than a clays gun seems to makes sense given my known history of the original owner. He was more of the elite hunting type rather than a target shooter.

I paid a bit more than Grade 1 pricing for it - mainly due to the fact that the gun is like new (appears to have been fired very little if at all) and has the original box and materials (catlog, price list, etc). Plus, I'm in Canada so the prices up here are almost always higher. The metal is in outstanding shape, but the wood has a few handling marks on it - too bad, but overall I'd have to say I'm happy.

Here are a few more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again everyone.

Brian

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's a B-1 european grade B 25 if you look on the box label it may have more info my boxes all said A-1 trap or parcours de chasse on them. If you look closely where it says browning arnold missouri it was stamped after manufactuer and is probably a little different in color from the cold blue.

Could you post a pictuer of the box end.

Joe

11. Hooked

Hooked Member

Sorry Gun Fitter, but that portion of the label on the box end seems to have dried up and fallen off the box at some point. It lists the model (i.e. Superposed), but the rest of the critical information: choke, barrel length, grade,etc is gone.

There are no import markings on the gun. On one side of the barrel it reads "12 GA SHELLS 2 3/4" - MADE IN BELGIUM - BROWNING PATENT"

On the other side it reads: "FABRIQUE NATIONALE HERSTAL BELGIQUE"

On the monoblock portion of the barrels it does say "SPL TRAP"

Thanks again.

Brian

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's a european market gun grade b-1 trap. trap meant bunker DTL doubles any trap type shooting. Here just a bit south of $2000 is a fair market value. They are a very saught after gun in Great Britan for sporting and values are much higher perhaps 2000 pounds.

enjoy your find and if you ever want to sell it let me know.

Joe

13. Hooked

Hooked Member

Joe,

The information is much appreciated. After factoring in exchange, I'd have to say I did ok based on the value you mentioned. It's a nice gun and now that I've had a chance to look at it more closely, I'm pretty sure that the gun hasn't been fired.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I am tempted to take it out to the bunker this weekend!

Best regards,

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning broadway superposed delaware

browning grade 1 superposed

browning grade 1 trap

browning superposed grade 1

is my browning superposed shotgun a grade 1

jaqua browning superposed